OrganForum App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OrganForum App

This is just an idea that I've had and I don't know if it would be feasible, but an OrganForum app would be cool. I'd for sure use it.
    Just a thought.

Philip
    “I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
    Organs I Play:
    - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
    - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Ah, but the temptation to be invasive and upload your contacts and activity at midnight... Somebody said, "I don't need your stinkin' app," and I tend to agree.... That was only partially in jest. As a rule, I never install games or "popular" apps on my phone because of the privacy risk. Apple is moving toward "granular control" of app permissions, but the developers HATE that idea. (They want to root around in your underwear drawer, the kitchen sink, and your petunia-smelling trash.)

Maybe we have a generation gap here?
    -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
    -- Organs: Rodgers W5000C, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06, Conn 643, Hammond M3, E112, and L-102
    -- Pianos: 1906 M. Schulz, 1929 Brambach, 1952 Poole, 1979 Samick (console)

Comment

• Philip Powell
      Philip Powell commented
      Editing a comment
      No I definitely believe in privacy and it's a shame that Apple almost blocks us from having an app.

• Silken Path
      Silken Path commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh. But if we do have granular control, we can choose what apps have access to without having to remove them from the device. Thus it is the developers that are the problem, not Apple. I think that Apple should have done this long ago, but it's certainly not in Google's best interests to do so.

Not being an Apple customer, I'm unsure what by what is meant by the "more granular control" but I do know that the following permissions are settable on an App by App basis on my Android device:
    • Body sensors
    • Calendar
    • Call logs
    • Camera
    • Contacts
    • Phone
    • Physical Activity
    • SMS
    • Storage
    • Car Information
    • Read Instant Messages
    • Write Instant Messages
    Not to mention the standard browser privacy controls. What's missing from this list?

Anyway, there is a path provided by VBulletin for an Organ Forum custom app, but it costs $$, effort on my part to configure it and the time and expense of getting it approved for Android and Apple devices and into their respective stores. I would consider doing so, but I cannot discern any advantage of the app over the web based version of the Forum. The current version of the software behaves very well on all screen sizes.

What is your perceived benefit in having an app?
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• Silken Path
      Silken Path commented
      Editing a comment
      That's good news, Admin. It's been years since I've used an Android device (a Mini Edge tablet/e-reader). Sounds like it's advanced. I haven't found an equivalent set of settings in my iPhone - one has to be careful to read the permissions before installation. In general I feel that if the app is free, *you* are the product.

Originally posted by Admin View Post
    What is your perceived benefit in having an app?
    I don't know about you, but I love spending time on here and if I am gone for a few days I always seem to miss something important. I think that an app, even though it it's unlikely, would allow me and others to check the Forum quickly and easily on their phone. I personally don't have my own phone, but if I did, the app would be used a lot.

“I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
    Organs I Play:
    - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
    - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Powell View Post
      I think that an app, even though it it's unlikely, would allow me and others to check the Forum quickly and easily on their phone.
      There's no need of an app for that. You can create a shortcut icon to the Organ Forum and pin it to your device's home screen on iOS and Android devices, as well as on desktop operating systems. Tapping the icon will open the Forum.

For the current version of Android, open the browser, navigate to the Organ Forum, click browser's 3 dot menu and select Add To Home Screen. Not an Apple user, but the process is similar for iOS devices.

but I love spending time on here and if I am gone for a few days I always seem to miss something important.
      I'm glad you're a fan and participate here. If you don't want to miss anything, use the Unread Posts link in the navbar. It will display a list of all the topics containing posts or comments that you've not read. After you've read the post or comment, it is removed from the list. You can clear the list of topics you're not interested in by clicking a Mark (This) Channel(s) Read button. Alternatively subscribe and receive notifications for activity in forums and topics you're interested in.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I think that an app, even though it it's unlikely, would allow me and others to check the Forum quickly and easily on their phone.
        The forum is rather easy to use with a mobile browser. I'm just typing this on my phone. Before the big update, the mobile version of the forum wasn't very comfortable, but now it is.
        I personally wouldn't need an app in addition to just using my browser here with the smartphone.

Comment

I also use my mobile browser more often
          employee tracking software

Comment

As an Android developer I can tell you that the solution is to send complaints about mobile formatting to the developers of the forum software, not to make an app 😊

It would take 10's of hours just to recreate the UI here, not to mention making the thing actually functional.
            Pianist for 12+ years. Organist for 2+. Owner of a Lowrey Heritage Deluxe DSO-1, Yamaha Arius YDP-V240, and several wind instruments.

Comment

From my point of view, there's no need to make any complaints regarding the mobile version of the forum. It works fine. I'm using it for the majority of my visits here and find it easy enough to use.
              There's also no need for an app.
              But I've said that before. 🙄

Comment

Working...
              X