This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DellAnderson View Post
    One of the problems I have with the current search engine is that searches seem to find the thread, but not the exact page. This is especially frustrating if a thread has gone on for 7 pages and the item of interest is only on one page. It would be nice if that word were highlighted, perhaps the forum already functions that way but I have not noticed it, and if not, this may be the reason many people have trouble.
    Yes, the search engine locates the threads containing the search terms. When you choose a thread, it displays all the posts in the thread not just those that contain the search terms; however, the search terms are highlighted in the posts in which they occur so those posts of interest are easily spotted. Not good enough?

After entering the thread, click on the Search Thread link that occurs in the Thread Bar at the top of each page right under the thread title and enter in your search term again. The result will be the individual posts that contain that term.

For example, typing Schober into the Search Box turns up the Ebay Mischief thread that runs 44 pages. That's a lot of posts to shuffle through, but click on the Search Thread link at the top of page and enter Schober into the drop down text box and the search pulls the three posts from the year 2007 that contain the word Schober.

Originally posted by DellAnderson View Post
    On the other hand, it is very hard and a bit unfair to compare forum search to Google search. However, we users can limit a Google search to the Organforum.com site by using the google site modifier. For example, in a google search engine form enter:
    ADC4900 site: organforum.com and you will only get hits on this forum mentioning the ADC4900. Notice that it may not properly find posts prior to the new hosting provider, or if it does, they may not work.
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Organ Forum is indexed by Google, Bing and other major search engines so that remains an option. As Dell points out Google has always had the site modifier available and I would not be surprised if the Bing and the other engines had something similar.

But so far, it appears that Forum's search engine deals with all the suggestions and challenges that have been presented. As a result, I'm becoming more convinced that developer's of the Forum software have provided us with a very flexible search facility.

The price of that flexibility is that one needs to understand how to best use the tool and the options provided. That's the purpose of this thread, and we have perhaps just scratched the surface of what is possible.

Keep the questions coming.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Very cool. I was not aware of the search thread option. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry for the delay but yesterday was a long day of picking up an organ and going to work. I got a chance to dig into the search function tonight and everything seems to work now. Basically, a month ago I was searching on the keyword "phish" and it brought nothing up. Where it would say Search: "Keyword(s) _______", it would say nothing. If I would search a bunch of words it would only search for words that were keywords in the database???? or something. It all seems to work ok now and I have actually been able to find everything I haven't been able to find in the past.

I swear that there have been some changes to the search tool since then. In regards to suggesting a change, Jimmy has a very very good request in asking to be able to search for specific phrases. When you put something in quotes, it treats it all as one word (sort of) and will say that the phrase is too long if you type more than two or so words together.

Anyway, thanks for listening and correcting my misunderstanding. I swear this search tool was extremely broke a few months back but it is decent now.
        My name is Steve and I am an organaholic

My Baby B3.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsJCpoUI_Lk

The Goods
        B3 organ and Leslie 147, Fender Rhodes 88, Hohner Clavinet C, Moog MINIMOOOOOG, Arp Omni, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha CS50, Arp Pro/DGX, Prophet 08, Baldwin Digital, RE-201 Roland Space Echo

Spare stuff
        Super chopped M3, B2 w/ Trek II Perc, Govt. Issue CV (G), C2 w/ Trek II Perc, X25?, Modded CV3, BV, 1 stock M3, The Piper (lol), Leslie 31H, Leslie 125, two Leslie 145's

Comment

Steve, the admin was right - you can search by phrase. I was confused because it is searching by threads, not by posts. So I was seeing individual posts that did not contain the phrase. I tried my search again and was able to go through the threads returned and find a single post that contained the phrase - which was highlighted. In the thread's posts that did not have the conplete phrase, the individual keywords were highlighted, though they were not a contiguous phrase. That is what threw me off. I guess that is by design.
          - jimmy
          Jimmy Williams
          Hobbyist (organist/technician)
          Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204

Comment

I am having problems finding the page from which to search for Forums. I keep getting the message, "You do not have permission etc".
            The same message appears when I try to join a group. The page tells me that I have not joined any groups; Join now; When I try, it seems I do not have permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Phr333k View Post
              I am having problems finding the page from which to search for Forums. I keep getting the message, "You do not have permission etc".
              The same message appears when I try to join a group. The page tells me that I have not joined any groups; Join now; When I try, it seems I do not have permission.
              On the right of the tab bar at the top of the Forum is a text box for your search terms. To the right of that is a magnifying glass icon which you click to search. Directly below that is a link reading Advanced Search that takes you to page with a number of search filtering options. Exactly at what point in the search process do you get the permission error? When you get this error are you certain you are signed in? Verify this by checking the upper right corner of the page. You should see Welcome, Phr333k. If you do not, you are not signed in.

Groups are not available on this forum.
              -Admin

Allen 965
              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I'm a relatively new user of this forum, but I have been finding that the search function behaves very strangely. For example, if I search Lowrey TBO, it brings up many posts that contain the term 'Lowrey' but not 'TBO' On the other hand, if I limit it to 'TBO' (a string of letters that doesn't occur often in English words and should, thus, produce fairly specific results), the search engine returns "Sorry - no matches" when that's obviously not the case. My guess is that a three letter sequence search is too short and generates a default negative response. Either way, it makes it hard to find references to a specific organ model, which would be useful. I could obviously search 'Lowrey TBO,' but people don't always type the brand and model that way, e.g., "I bought a Lowrey Organ, model TBO."

I did look around for information on search syntax, but I didn't find anything that helped.
                I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

You are correct. The forum's search engine ignores words less than a certain a length. Either search for a phrase or use the site search feature of Google to search this site.

eg enter into google search:

tbo siterganforum.com
                  -Admin

Allen 965
                  Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

My bad, I didn't see that thread. But still, the 4 character thing is the gotcha. Even when in quotes, I can't get anything when searching for Mig T. And oil brings up nothing, but Hammond oil brings up everything with Hammond in it. So I'll just continue using Google to search the forum, like others say they do too.
                    1970 Hammond T422 (for me)
                    1966 Hammond L112 (for my daughter)
                    1980 Kimball M75 Temptation (parts only), 1980 Kimball M70 Temptation (parts only)
                    1965 Hammond L112 (probably for parts), Magnus Chord Organ (for kicks)

Comment

Originally posted by wagonman76 View Post
                      My bad, I didn't see that thread. But still, the 4 character thing is the gotcha. Even when in quotes, I can't get anything when searching for Mig T. And oil brings up nothing, but Hammond oil brings up everything with Hammond in it. So I'll just continue using Google to search the forum, like others say they do too.
                      Searching for "Mig T Preamp" or "Mig Preamp" works.

Searching for "Hammond oil" does not bring up everything with Hammond in it. It brings up all threads that contain the phrase "Hammond oil" in one or more posts. The keyword here is threads. Once you have a list of threads that contain your search phrase, click on the thread and scroll through the posts. Your search term is highlighted wherever it appears. If there are many posts in the thread click "Search Thread" link that appears in the tool bar just under the thread name and search again for your phrase to get a list of posts in that thread that contain your search term.

Why does the top level search display threads and instead of posts? Because if there are many posts containing your search term the number of results can be overwhelming. The search for "Hammond oil", for example, turns up over 500 threads containing that term at least once. The number of posts containing that term could easily be double or triple that count.

It's also more convenient to process results in the context of the parent thread because more often than not, the conversation that preceeded and followed the post will be of interest.
                      -Admin

Allen 965
                      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
                      X