This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Save

If you've ever typed in a long post and have been frustrated by a browser crash or some other problem before you've been able to post it, read on.

The Forum now supports auto save. As you are entering your message it will be saved periodically. Should a problem occur prior to posting it you can recover it. Here's how:

While users are writing messages, the in progress content can be automatically saved in case the user's browser crashes or the user mistakenly leaves the page. The auto-saved content is recoverable by a "Restore" button that appears at the bottom of the editor when there is content that can be used. Pressing the button will update the editor with the stored content, consisting of the editor message and the title, if applicable. Auto-Saved content is specific to the area that it was saved from. A saved message from a new thread in forum "Welcome" will only be able to be restored when the user is creating a new thread in the "Welcome" forum.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

I remember the first time I noticed this added feature. What I was typing was restored after a power outage and it freaked me out it came back. Ironically the content that I initially wrote this this over can't be saved- on your profile page...or at least it didn't for me. Strangely enough one day out of the blue I came across the profile page and decided to fill it in. I accidentally closed the tab and when I went back the info was gone. That's when I decided I wasn't meant to have a profile. I'm a different person everyday anyway.

Originally posted by Admin View Post
    If you've ever typed in a long post and have been frustrated by a browser crash or some other problem before you've been able to post it, read on.

The Forum now supports auto save. As you are entering your message it will be saved periodically. Should a problem occur prior to posting it you can recover it. Here's how:

While users are writing messages, the in progress content can be automatically saved in case the user's browser crashes or the user mistakenly leaves the page. The auto-saved content is recoverable by a "Restore" button that appears at the bottom of the editor when there is content that can be used. Pressing the button will update the editor with the stored content, consisting of the editor message and the title, if applicable. Auto-Saved content is specific to the area that it was saved from. A saved message from a new thread in forum "Welcome" will only be able to be restored when the user is creating a new thread in the "Welcome" forum.
    Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
    Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, 1971 X66/& 12-77 tone cabinet w/ 122 kit & TREK Transposer- of which I've retrofitted a Wurlitzer/Lowrey 'PedAL gLIdE' awesome!
    Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
    Conn '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)
    PLEASE SAVE THE WURLITZER ELECTROSTATIC CONTINUOUS-FREE-REED ORGANS 1953'-1961' Hammond TW's ONLY TRUE COMPETITOR! (Ggl> NSHOS WURLI 4600)

Comment

I'll try to say this quickly. While I'm composing a post I take my time and it logs me out, when I come back it gives me an error message and tells me to log in again, and when I do I lose my original post.

Comment

Read this sticky on how to avoid being logged out.
        http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post213020
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I have been able to end up never being logged out only to find later that the site eventually does log me out. Then when I use my handle and password I can NOT access this site for any reaon. I thoroughly enjoy this site and spend quite a bit of time reading many many postings as well as I have written numerous articles and tried to be helpful.

However over the period of years I have ended up with 3 different handles all with very strange passwords. Now just recently I am back to the old handle I had a number of years back. I can NOT access the previous two handles I had although I have used the right handle and passwords which were given at the beginning.

Why can't we choose our own handle, and our passwords as well? It would seemingly work much better.
          Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
          Baldwin Spinet 58R
          Lowrey Spinet SCL
          Wurlitzer 4100A
          Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
          Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
          Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
            Why can't we choose our own handle, and our passwords as well? It would seemingly work much better.
            ? We can, and do.
            -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
            Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
            Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

I have been able to end up never being logged out only to find later that the site eventually does log me out. Then when I use my handle and password I can NOT access this site for any reaon.
              When that happens, clear cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by quadibloc View Post
                When that happens, clear cookies.
                Just remember when you clear cookies in your brouser, when you go back to the organforum site, you will have to log in again. It is the cookies that associates you as being logged in to the forum.

James-I think your problem is that you have 3 different user names that are associated with the same email address. When you click on Forgot Password, it asks for your email address that is associated with your login. But you have 3 of them so it just picks one, probably the first one in its list called "james", resets the password to an odd setting, then emails you the new password to use with that login name.

I don't know what happens to the other 2 logins that you have that are associated with this email address but I wouldn't be suprised if it invalidated these other logins. You might want to talk to the admin guy to delete all your 3 user names and then create the name you want to use as a new user.
                Last edited by PeteKnobloch; 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I have been able to end up never being logged out only to find later that the site eventually does log me out. Then when I use my handle and password I can NOT access this site for any reaon.
                  When you check the Remember Me box when you sign, the site places a cookie with your log-in credentials on your machine. Its uses this encrypted information to automatically sign you in when you return to the site.

If you use a different browser or clear your browser cache or cookies you will have to log in again. I don't believe these cookies ever expire on their own, although it is possible they might, but not for months or years.

Regardless, you should be able to log-in with same username and password as before. If you cannot, then you are mis-remembering one or the other, or typing them incorrectly. Remember that usernames and passwords are case sensitive.

There is one exception to the above. If you obtained your password prior to June 2009 it won't work because the forum software changed after that date and the old passwords could not be migrated because they were encrypted. The instructions that appeared at the top of this forum for the past three years instructed those members to use their username and request a new password.

This is important. When you reset or a request a new password, a message containing this information is sent to the private email address that is in your user settings. You can change this address when you are logged in, but for most people it's the address they used when they first registered. Naturally, if you change your email address and do not change it in your settings you'll not get the new password information and you may be locked out. If that occurs, click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and send us your username and old email address and we'll make the required changes and get you a new password.

However over the period of years I have ended up with 3 different handles all with very strange passwords. Now just recently I am back to the old handle I had a number of years back. I can NOT access the previous two handles I had although I have used the right handle and passwords which were given at the beginning.
                  First you can change your password once you've signed in to anything you want. Just go to your settings and find the link.

You had the opportunity to choose your handle when you registered. We do not allow users to change their handles because this would be confusing and disruptive to other members. If you want a different handle than the one you initially registered with, send me a private message stating the reason for the change and I'll consider granting your request.

You should not have obtained multiple handles. You should have obtained a new password for the old handle, or notified us when you failed to receive it.

If you will send me a private message containing your current, previous handles, and which of them you wish to use as your current handle I can combine all of your posts under one handle and remove the other names from our system.

Hope this clears things up for you.
                  -Admin

Allen 965
                  Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Thanks to each of you who have been helpful. I will soon do as suggested. I am not all that good with a computer, and I still find many things confusing to me. I do remember one time I did choose my own password, but alas I forgot how that was done. I do have a better understanding now. It would be great to have all my postings under one handle.
                    Baldwin Spinet 58R
                    Lowrey Spinet SCL
                    Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

Ok, I sent the ADMIN a private message. However, I can NOT read my sent messages. Can this be fixed for me?
                      Baldwin Spinet 58R
                      Lowrey Spinet SCL
                      Wurlitzer 4100A

Comment

Yes, this has now happened to me, and I have lost my lengthy post.

I have gone back into the new post window, clicked "Restore auto-saved content", and all I've got back is the title, although I noticed the auto-save function occurring several times during my composition.

Not sure I can be bothered to think of it all and type it all again.

Oh dear...

Comment

Working...
                        X