This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Refer to a Specific Post

It's often desirable to refer others to a specific post within a thread. Here's the best way to do that.

Every post within a given thread is identified with a number. This number appears on the right of the posted message's title bar. You'll find #1 in this message's title bar.

So one way to refer to a specific post is to name the thread and the message number. For example, "post #1 in the thread How To Refer to a Specific Post".

You can take this one step further by posting the actual URL for the message. Just click on the message number in the title bar. Then copy and paste the the resulting URL from your browser's address bar. Alternatively, move your mouse over the number and right-click to display the context menu. Depending on your browser you'll see a menu option labeled "Copy shortcut", "Copy link address", or something similar. Select this from the menu and then paste to your post.

For example this will take you directly to post #87 of a Hammond thread

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post316223

You might be tempted to simply refer to a post by saying it is on such and such a page in a thread. Unfortunately, that won't work as the page number is dependent upon an individual's user setting, i.e. display order, number of posts per page, etc.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

I just click on "Reply With Quote." Then delete the text I don't want to include from the original post. That way there's no question what I am responding to.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
      I just click on "Reply With Quote." Then delete the text I don't want to include from the original post. That way there's no question what I am responding to.

Michael
      Well yes, that's the correct way of responding to a post, but what I'm talking about here is a referencing a post. For example, when a question is asked and you wish to refer the asker to a specific post or range of posts elsewhere.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
      X