This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Reply with quote tutorial"

OK, maybe I'm to old but this function eludes me. I'm sure it's been asked before..... How does one extract a sentence from a paragraph and have it appear in the balloon highlight? I asked others here but they did not know either.
    C3, Leslie 720, A100, E100, Have owned L100 and M3, http://soundcloud.com/twiggybush

Originally posted by Twiggybush View Post
    OK, maybe I'm to old but this function eludes me. I'm sure it's been asked before..... How does one extract a sentence from a paragraph and have it appear in the balloon highlight? I asked others here but they did not know either.
    The whole post will appear within two sorts of brackets like this: [Q U O T E=*USER*;*POST NO.*] *TEXT* [/ Q U O T E]

To extract a certain sentance or word etc, do it like this:
    Say you want the number 2, but not the number 1 out of a post simply containing '1 2'. It will appear as follows:
    [Q U O T E=*USER*;*POST NO.*]1 2[/Q U O T E]
    To get '2' on it's own, you'd do this:
    [Q U O T E=*USER*;*POST NO.*]2[/ Q U O T E]

So you just simply delete whatever you don't want, leaving the [QUOTE] brackets either side. I hope this helps.

*Please ignore the spaces in the [QUOTE] brackets in the example, I had to put them there otherwise the post actually contained a Quote bubble in my example! Obviously when leaving a quote, there's no spaces!*

Comment

JonathonP posted the answer while I was writing this, but here it is anyway.
      The simple way to this is to click on "Reply With Quote". This will insert the entire post in the quote box at the top of your reply. It will look like this in the editor

[QUOTE=Twiggybush;331158]OK, maybe I'm to old but this function eludes me. I'm sure it's been asked before..... How does one extract a sentence from a paragraph and have it appear in the balloon highlight? I asked others here but they did not know either.[/QUOTE]

and display like this when posted:

If you just want to include just a fragment of the post in the quote box, then edit the inserted text:

[QUOTE=Twiggybush;331158]How does one extract a sentence from a paragraph and have it appear in the balloon highlight? [/QUOTE]

will display
      How does one extract a sentence from a paragraph and have it appear in the balloon highlight?
      The mechanism for creating these posts are BBCode tags. The pattern for enclosing comments in the quote box is [QUOTE]content[/QUOTE]
      Knowing this, you can then copy the inserted bbcode block multiple times and split the quote up. For example entering this in the editor:

[QUOTE=Twiggybush;331158]OK, maybe I'm to old but this function eludes me.[/QUOTE]

No you're never too old.

[QUOTE=Twiggybush;331158] How does one extract a sentence from a paragraph and have it appear in the balloon highlight? [/QUOTE]
      Now you know.

[QUOTE=Twiggybush;331158] I asked others here but they did not know either.[/QUOTE]
      They can now come to you for the answer!

Will display like this:
      OK, maybe I'm to old but this function eludes me.
      No you're never too old.

How does one extract a sentence from a paragraph and have it appear in the balloon highlight?
      Now you know.

I asked others here but they did not know either.
      Last edited by Admin; 11-07-2013, 01:36 PM.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

You can also quote from multiple posts by clicking the "+ icon on those posts you wish to quote in your reply, then clicking Reply With Quote. Note that clicking on the little blue box adjacent the posters name in the quote box takes you to the post being quoted. For example:

Originally posted by JonathanP View Post
        The whole post will appear within two sorts of brackets like this: [Q U O T E=*USER*;*POST NO.*] *TEXT* [/ Q U O T E]

To extract a certain sentance or word etc, do it like this:
        Say you want the number 2, but not the number 1 out of a post simply containing '1 2'. It will appear as follows:
        [Q U O T E=*USER*;*POST NO.*]1 2[/Q U O T E]
        To get '2' on it's own, you'd do this:
        [Q U O T E=*USER*;*POST NO.*]2[/ Q U O T E]

Originally posted by Admin View Post
        The simple way to this is to click on "Reply With Quote". This will insert the entire post in the quote box at the top of your reply. It will look like this in the editor

and display like this when posted:

If you just want to include just a fragment of the post in the quote box, then edit the inserted text:

will display

The mechanism for creating these posts are BBCode tags. The pattern for enclosing comments in the quote box is
        Knowing this, you can then copy the inserted bbcode block multiple times and split the quote up. For example entering this in the editor:

No you're never too old.

Now you know.

Will display like this:

No you're never too old.

Now you know.

-Admin

Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

this function eludes me
          Not! Watch out world. Thanks guys!
          C3, Leslie 720, A100, E100, Have owned L100 and M3, http://soundcloud.com/twiggybush

Comment

I asked others here but they did not know either.
            viva3388

Comment

[QUOTE I asked others here but they did not know either.QUOTE]

It must be some secret code that they only share with the elite, Willwf
              I've searched the FAQ and read this thread three times and still not sure I get it.
              Too many [Q U O T E=*USER*;*POST NO.*]1 2[/Q U O T E] [Q U O T E=*USER*;*POST NO.*]2[/ Q U O T E]
              ****'s [][][][]'s and ////'s ... but I'm gonna keep trying !
              Ha !
              Roger Memphis
              C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
              CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

Originally posted by The Raven
                Nevermore
                This forum makes me weak and weary!

Comment

Originally posted by Wes View Post
                  This forum makes me weak and weary!
                  Yeah...
                  and the Quote Thread makes my brain bleak and dreary !

RM
                  CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

Roger,

Think of the text in brackets [] as switches: The [TEXT] switch turns it on, and the [/TEXT] switch turns it off. Examples of this are below (but included in parenthesis--otherwise they wouldn't show).
                    • (B)(/B), you can do the same for Italic and Underline.
                    • (LIST)(/LIST) for bulleted lists, and use (*)just before each new list item.
                    • (LIST=1)(/LIST) for numbered lists.
                    • (SUP)(/SUP) for superscript, and the one you've been trying to figure out
                    • (QUOTE)(/QUOTE) to quote someone else's words. Everything that appears after the word QUOTE (i.e. usernames and post numbers) can be eliminated if you wish--it's just referring to that specific post within a thread.
                    Hope that helps.

Michael
                    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                      Roger,

Think of the text in brackets [] as switches: The [TEXT] switch turns it on, and the [/TEXT] switch turns it off. Examples of this are below (but included in parenthesis--otherwise they wouldn't show).
                      • (B)(/B), you can do the same for Italic and Underline.
                      • (LIST)(/LIST) for bulleted lists, and use (*)just before each new list item.
                      • (LIST=1)(/LIST) for numbered lists.
                      • (SUP)(/SUP) for superscript, and the one you've been trying to figure out
                      • (QUOTE)(/QUOTE) to quote someone else's words. Everything that appears after the word QUOTE (i.e. usernames and post numbers) can be eliminated if you wish--it's just referring to that specific post within a thread.
                      [Hope that helps.]

Michael
                      Thanks Michael !
                      I appreciate your trying to help. I have no idea why I'm having so much trouble "getting" this. I fully understand quadratic equations and the nuances of variants in the manufacture of tetra potassium pyrophosphate and n-alkyl dimethyl ammonium chloride! So.... I'm trying (in this post) to put your comment "Hope that helps." into a balloon.
                      Here goes...
                      Roger Memphis

PS: I think that the stuff about italics, underlines, bullets and superscript just added to my misery!

- - - Updated - - -

...didn't work... back to the drawing board !

RM
                      Last edited by Roger Memphis; 06-01-2016, 11:24 AM.
                      CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Memphis View Post
                        PS: I think that the stuff about italics, underlines, bullets and superscript just added to my misery!
                        Roger,

Sorry about that. Sometimes I tend to throw the entire ball of wax at people--sorry.

I'm going to type what you were trying to quote below, and just above it, I'll put EXACTLY what I quoted, but using parenthesis() instead of brackets[].

(QUOTE)Hope that helps.(/QUOTE)
                        Hope that helps.
                        Remember to change the parenthesis to brackets.

Michael
                        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

LOL, Michael...
                          I tend to explain how to make a watch when asked what time it is !
                          Thanks for trying to help... I *may* have developed a mental block about this thing... ha!
                          OK, I'm gonna' try to balloon your "Remember to change the parenthesis to brackets." Here goes...

- - - Updated - - -

Michael -
                          You ARE da man! Finally got it through my thick skull.
                          Thanks so much for your patience. I owe ya' one.

Roger Memphis
                          Last edited by Roger Memphis; 06-01-2016, 04:17 PM. Reason: Finally !!! Ta Da !
                          CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Memphis View Post
                            OK, I'm gonna' try to balloon your "Remember to change the parenthesis to brackets." Here goes...
                            Originally posted by MyOrgan
                            [snip]
                            You ARE da man! Finally got it through my thick skull.
                            Roger,

I hate to inform you, but I think it's because you've been spending too much time with ye ol' Hammonds. It's addled yer brains!

Seriously, though, I may be on the verge of getting a Hammond spinet, and may be calling in that favor after all! I'll keep you posted. Glad to have been of help.

Michael

P.S. Now, about your signature.... Surely, that means something to someone?!

Comment

Roger,

I hate to inform you, but I think it's because you've been spending too much time with ye ol' Hammonds. It's addled yer brains!

Seriously, though, I may be on the verge of getting a Hammond spinet, and may be calling in that favor after all! I'll keep you posted. Glad to have been of help.

Michael

P.S. Now, about your signature.... Surely, that means something to someone?!

This is the very first time I have ever clicked on "reply with quote" in all the years I've been on this forum. I guess I never really knew what it was for until I ran across this discussion. If you see a quote in a balloon above this text, then it must have worked.
                              John
                              ----------
                              *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
                              X