This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, Noob question..

Sorry if this had been addressed already, but I couldn't find anything about it. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to quote more than one person when I'm posting a reply without having to make multiple posts? Thanks!
    I've got a fever..... and the only prescription is...... more Hammond organs

Ok, can disregard or delete this as someone explained this to me in another thread. Thanks again Torea
    I've got a fever..... and the only prescription is...... more Hammond organs

Comment

Another noobie question for this thread.....
      When you are not logged in to the forum why do some images on a post display themselves, and others are a link?
      I inserted a couple of images on my posts using the image button, if i'm logged in they display, if i'm not they're a link, yet other peoples images can display either way. Is this to do with composing a post in a certain way? Or what?
      Many Thanks
      FusionKid
      Hammond T200 (status not yet known!) ; Hammond T102 (split & modified) ; Sharma Sharmette Rotary Speaker ; Pearl Export drum kit ; A load of music gear inc mixers, amps, speakers, mics, 8 track tape, recording lathe etc

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKid View Post
        Another noobie question for this thread.....
        When you are not logged in to the forum why do some images on a post display themselves, and others are a link?
        I inserted a couple of images on my posts using the image button, if i'm logged in they display, if i'm not they're a link, yet other peoples images can display either way. Is this to do with composing a post in a certain way? Or what?
        Many Thanks
        FusionKid
        I don't know. Provide links to the posts in question.
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
          I don't know. Provide links to the posts in question.
          If you look at this page http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...-into-it/page4
          My post #37 has 2 images that show as a link rather than an image while i'm not logged in, yet post #38 from someone else displays an image either way???? I used the insert image button when i composed my post.
          Thanks for taking a look
          FusionKid
          Hammond T200 (status not yet known!) ; Hammond T102 (split & modified) ; Sharma Sharmette Rotary Speaker ; Pearl Export drum kit ; A load of music gear inc mixers, amps, speakers, mics, 8 track tape, recording lathe etc

Comment

When you use the image icon and select From URL with Retrieve remote file and reference locally box checked, the image is retrieved from the site and stored locally on the Organ Forum eliminating the dependency on the original site. In this case the image is embedded in the post as an attachment. Attachments are not accessible or viewable by non-members or members not logged in.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	wanamaker-organ1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	586191

If you uncheck the Retrieve remote file and reference locally box, a link to the image is embedded in the post. The image will be visible to all vistors, but is dependent upon the future integrity of the link.
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Ok thanks for that, so if i share an image from my computer, can that only be an attachment?
              Otherwise only images from other websites can be displayed to all viewers, right?

Thats a massive organ you posted!

Comment

Images from your computer are always attachments because your computer is not a server on the internet that websites can initiate a connection to.

Images posted as links to other websites will be displayed to all visitors provided that the link to the image remains valid.

That's the console of the Wanamaker Organ in the Macy's store in Philadelphia. It sounds as impressive as it looks. It is the largest, playable, musical instrument on the planet.
                -Admin

Allen 965
                Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

BTW, I prefer that images be posted as attachments for two reasons:
                  1. image will be viewable for the life of this forum and is not dependent upon an external website.
                  2. attachments appear as thumbnails in the posts which permit pages to load faster, use less bandwidth (important if you're accessing from a mobile device), and take up less room on the screen until clicked.

Overall attachments make for a faster and more convenient user experience.
                  -Admin

Allen 965
                  Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Another noobie question

Thanks for that Admin!
                    Also how do you create the messages that display at the foot of each post, where most people list the equipment they've got, or in your case just says -Admin ??

About that massive organ, can anyone play it? You'd need to be an octopus! Is it a pipe organ or electronic?

Regards
                    F

Comment

That's a signature. Click on Settings at the top of the page then Edit Signature in the list in the left sidebar.

The Wanamaker Organ was installed in the Wanamaker Department store (now Macy's) 101 years ago. It's a pipe organ with approximately 30,000 pipes and is played twice every day by staff organists.
                      -Admin

Allen 965
                      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Is that bigger than the Atlantic City Convention Hall organ?
                        Originally posted by Admin View Post
                        That's a signature. Click on Settings at the top of the page then Edit Signature in the list in the left sidebar.

The Wanamaker Organ was installed in the Wanamaker Department store (now Macy's) 101 years ago. It's a pipe organ with approximately 30,000 pipes and is played twice every day by staff organists.
                        1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

Originally posted by jdoc View Post
                          Is that bigger than the Atlantic City Convention Hall organ?
                          No it is not. I said largest playable musical instrument. The Wanamaker Organ is over 90% playable whereas the ACCH organ is nowhere near in playable condition for a variety of reasons. See
                          http://theatreorgans.com/atlcity/
                          -Admin

Allen 965
                          Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Thanks for your help Admin, i should now have a signature!

About these huge organs, why do they have so many manuals? Surely 4 should do it - 2 for each hand so you can switch between settings/ sounds easily ? I looked up the wanamaker on youtube sounds good, do wanamaker still make organs?
                            And all the controls on the console, are they electrical - controlling air valves?
                            Was wanamaker a department store as well as an organ manufacturer? Do Macys' sell organs now?
                            Thanks All
                            F

Comment

Hi,

I will answer your questions as precisely as possible.

About so many manuals - well there was the day in America when they had lots of money, that bigger was better. And not only that, but vying for the title "the biggest" gave bragging rights. So it was important in the case of the Wanamaker store organ, that they were the biggest organ at one time - then later it become the largest playable organ. I have heard it a number of times, and what a sound it produces. Fills the grand court in the store very nicely.

To be honest, with modern stop controls and capture actions, there is very little need for organs to have any more than 3 keyboards. One only has two hands, so can at best comfortably only play on two at a time, unless one is Cameron Carpenter who quite often plays two keyboards with one hand. I used to watch Diane Bish play the 5 manual Ruffatti organ in Coral Ridge Presbyterian, and about 98% of her playing was on the lowest 3 keyboards. She never played for an extended period of time on the top 2 keyboards. It is just too hard on one's back.

Wanamaker was a retailer, who had an emporium in Philadelphia. The store covers a city block, and is roughly 7 floors high. The Grand Court is in the middle of the store. The organ console is on the 2nd floor of the store in the women's clothing section. The pipe organ for the most part is at the narrow end of the Grand Court, starting on the 2nd floor. Even so, the facade looks to be at least 75' wide.

The organ is run via an electronic relay. Appears to work well.

Wanamaker is now the name of the building. Originally Wanamaker was the retailer. Now Macy's operates a flagship store out of there. When Wanamaker was there, he bought the organ from an exposition, and had it installed in the store. Even though is was the largest organ in it's day, it simply was not large enough to fill the space. So he set up a pipe shop in the store, and expanded the organ, numerous times. I don't think Wanamaker did other commercial organ building.

Today Macy's being in the building, has made a commitment to keeping the organ and having it played twice a day. It is great to see this tradition continue. There is a resident organist, as well as a roster of fill-in organists who fill this duty. Since it is in the store and played during store hours, the cost of admission if FREE.

So, if you are interested in pipe organs, go and see this one. Meet the organist, have an up close look at the console, and above all, have a listen to the world's biggest playable organ.

AV

Comment

Working...
                              X