• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started on the forum

--I'm a novice and Newbie for using the forum
    [ I at least was able to get registered as a user--now I'm stymied]
    --despite trying to access the Forum self-help questions & answers
    --the Forum is (to me) a very complicated, hugely complex site
    and difficult to get started, where to go, how to do a basic post...
    --my need is find someone who has done repairs to home Baldwin electronic organ 2-3 decades old
    --CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ?
    ........ how to get my question properly posted and out there for others to see and respond.
    ....not even sure if this initial message will get through properly, even where to find the "Post Message" button
    Gordon Ober
    Last edited by myorgan; 08-26-2016, 02:41 PM. Reason: E-Mail address removed.

Originally posted by GordonOber View Post
    --I'm a novice and Newbie for using the forum
    [ I at least was able to get registered as a user--now I'm stymied]
    --despite trying to access the Forum self-help questions & answers
    --the Forum is (to me) a very complicated, hugely complex site
    and difficult to get started, where to go, how to do a basic post...
    [snip]
    --CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ?
    ........ how to get my question properly posted and out there for others to see and respond.
    Mr. Ober,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope this is enough to get you started.

When you sign on to the Forum for the first time, you will see a screen something like the one pictured below (it is labeled Attached Thumbnails). I have numbered certain parts of the picture--colors may be different for you, but the principles are the same. You can click on the picture below to make it larger, then press the Escape key (upper-left-hand corner of the keyboard--ESC) to come back to this post.
    1. Forum--If you click on the word "Forum" (where the Red #1 is at the top of your screen), it will take you to a list of the forums available to view. They are separated by general category (i.e. Electronic Organs & MIDI, Pipe Organs, Reed Organs and Accordions, etc.). Under each category, you will see sub-categories that fit under the general heading. Within the sub-categories, you will find threads with information you might find useful.
    2. Settings--By clicking on the word "Settings", you will find updated threads where you have already posted that have changed since you last logged on. You can view them easily in this button.
    3. Search--If you type in the information you wish to find (i.e. Baldwin repair), then click on the magnifying glass to search the Forum for threads related to Baldwin repairs. The words for which you searched will be highlighted when you open one of the threads that comes back in the search.
    4. New Posts--If you click on the words "New Posts", you will have pages of posts that have been made to the Forum in the last 10 days or so. This option may be too much information at first.
    5. Forum--If you get lost and need to find your way home, just click on the word "Forum" (either here or #1 above), and you will be back at the beginning.
    6. GordonOber--If you click on your own name, it will take you to where you can find your previous posts, as well as responses to those posts. You can also change your account settings by going here, but I wouldn't recommend it at first.

To reply to a post, you will find that just below the post you are reading, there is a bar that looks like the 2nd picture I've included below (very small, but to the right of the first picture). On the left, you can click on the icon that looks like a sheriff's badge to let someone know they've been helpful. On the right, you can click on Reply to reply to a post, and you will be taken to an area where you can type your response. After you've typed your response, you can click on Submit Reply to send it to the Forum. The other option is to Reply Quoted. That is used if you want to include the original post inside your post (like I have above in the blue box with your name).

Last, it is generally not a good practice to post your e-mail address on the Forum. Google scans these forums, and anyone can get your e-mail address. I hope you don't mind, but I have taken the liberty of removing your e-mail address so it will not be available to the public. Members of the Forum who wish to send you e-mail can do it through your profile, or by sending you a Private Message. You will know when you receive a Private Message because it will pop up when you first log into the Forum.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Michael
    Attached Files
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Thank you Michael, .....so helpful. (Again)......The Forum might be very intuitive to those that are "twenty-somethings", but to this 'back-side-of-sixty-year-old, I'm not even close to being at a fifth grader level with websites and computers. So, no you have not been too simplified. This will get me started and I'll give it a go, and see what happens. Thank you for taking the time to provide the detailed comments you gave me. If there is a 'back button' on the Forum that would be helpful.

Best Regards, Gordon Ober

Comment

Originally posted by GordonOber View Post
        I'm not even close to being at a fifth grader level with websites and computers. So, no you have not been too simplified.
        Gordon,

You NAILED IT!!! How did you know? I've taught computer (& music) for more than a few decades to students from 5th grade to over 90 years old. Presently, I have a student in one class who is north of 60 as well--his first time seeing a computer to use it (it's a long story). Bottom line, you've done well to find the post and reply to it. I look forward to learning from what you have to share.

Unfortunately, the back button doesn't work on the Forum, but I'm sure you'll find your way around. Have a fun time here!

Michael
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

I have Forward and Back buttons on the keyboard on this PC. They work just fine on the forum.
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
            I have Forward and Back buttons on the keyboard on this PC. They work just fine on the forum.
            Andyg,

My fault. I always open threads in a new window, so that doesn't work for me because of the method I use. I've never seen forward and back buttons on the keyboard, though. Of course, my computer was made in 2000 and is running Windows XP, SP3. I'm just used to using Alt+(either right or left) arrow key to go forward and back on the PC, and Command+(either right or left) arrow key on the Mac to go forward and back.

That's what I get for learning computers before a mouse was available (mainframes).

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
              I have them on my keyboard, too. But they do nothing on this forum.
              Oh well.

Roger Memphis
              C-3 with O-M, 145, 122RV, 2 PR-40's, PSR-36
              CV with HR-40, 2 B-40's

Comment

Working...
              X