Crashing my browser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashing my browser

Something about changes here is giving NBBrowser (or is it Android WebView) grief. Upon loading the main page, the browser crashes, every time. I have not seen this behavior here before, nor on any other site. I had to use Chrome, which I prefer not to use, to post this.

I'm not familiar with that browser. Is there an error message?
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      Just checking to see if its possible to comment on one's own post. It is.

No, it just closes and the OS says it crashed. I discovered that if I turn off image loading, it doesn't happen. I am using it now, without images.

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      I've made a note of your problem, but I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment. I don't like to point fingers, but it seems to me that the issue is with the browser. I'll look into it when I can.

It stopped happening since I logged in. So it most likely was a cookie issue; but I have no idea why turning off images would change that. In any case, it's working now.

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      OK. Good to know. Thanks

It happens pretty consistently now whether or not I'm logged in. I can run without images but as soon as I load images on the page, the browser crashes. I'll see if I can narrow down when it happens and doesn't.

I agree it's a problem with the browser, it should just never crash. But it only happens here. I don't know if there's an advertisement image that can't be decoded, maybe a datatype that isn't used much otherwise.

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      During this shakedown period, I'm running the Forum barebones. There are no advertisements on the site at all. The only image currently on the home page is the site logo, from the old site, and the avatars. Regardless of what this site sends you, and regardless of the capabilities of your browser, it should not crash. It should gracefully display an error message before terminating. I don't know what it is that's causing the crash, but it's an issue that should be brought to the attention of the browser developers.

I'm assuming that you've tried the usual remedies of clearing the cache and cookies?

I'm having a boatload of other issues navigating the site here, in either browser. But I'll wait to see if anyone else is having issues.

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, I'd prefer that you bring these issues to my attention as you encounter them, so I can investigate. If you prefer not to post the issues, send me a PM, although posting them publicly might prove beneficial to others.

"I don't know what it is that's causing the crash, but it's an issue that should be brought to the attention of the browser developers.

I'm assuming that you've tried the usual remedies of clearing the cache and cookies?"
    If it keeps up, I'll go that route; at this point it's terribly intermittent. When it happens, it keeps happening just long enough for me to not nail down why. When it stops happening, it doesn't happen for some time.

I cleared cache and cookies when I first encountered the problem. Next time it happens, I'll do it again.

"
      • Actually, I'd prefer that you bring these issues to my attention as you encounter them, so I can investigate. If you prefer not to post the issues, send me a PM, although posting them publicly might prove beneficial to others."
      • I'm not sure at this point how much is just me not being able to find things (but you must have made some changes, a lot of what I was missing is there now), how much is due to me using a mobile browser, and how much is me not understanding the new layout yet.
      • First of all though, I can't for the life of me figure out how to quote your replies, and as you can see, now for some reason I have bullet points that I can't delete.

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      There's no button to quote comments because they're in the context and implicit to the post being commented upon. Each post, with the exception of the first, has a comment link in its toolbar. AFAIK, you should be able to add a comment to your own post, so rather than responding to my comments by Posting a Reply, the way to go would be to add a comment to the post.

Do you see the link in the toolbar I'm referring to? Not sure if the mobile experience is the same as the full site.

Latest Activity always shows the first post in a thread. This used to always show the latest post in the thread.

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      The first post is always shown at the top of that view to establish the context of the posts below. The Latest Activity display is an abbreviated version of what is displayed in the Posts view. It's purpose is to provide a quick look and opportunity to comment on posts in threads you are following. Latest Activity's functionality is intended to be different from viewing posts in reverse chronological order. For example, in the Latest Activity view, comments are individual entries, whereas in the Post view, they are in the context of its post.

I can edit my post, but your reply disappears when I'm editing. You brought up a good point about the mobile layout. I keep my browser set to "desktop" view, and this works on *most* sites, but some sites do override this (I don't know how they do this, is it by User Agent?) and apparently this new forum software is doing this. So I guess I don't know what the desktop layout looks like and don't know what I'm missing. It's pretty annoying when sites do this. I often have a full keyboard and large display, but even when I don't, there's usually no gain (only loss) from using "mobile" layouts.

Anyway, we now seem to be in a full 'threaded' versus 'list' format. That's not the end of the world, unless replies can't be replied to in context, in some fashion.

Comment

I found the solution to my issue with Latest Activity: I thought it was a replacement for the old New Posts feature. But the New Topics feature is what I was looking for, and it does what I had expected.

Comment

I confirmed without a doubt that the problem I was having is within the Android operating system, not the browser I was using. I found another browser that uses the same OS procedures which exhibits the same behaviour.

I did a "factory" reset of my device. I'm in the process of getting it all back running again, and hopefully that solves it. Else I'm not sure how to get an old version of Google Play Services that's new enough to be usable but not so new that it breaks browsers. Google is particularly evil about making sure you can't get old versions of their software.

Comment

I'm typing this on my Android phone. Version 8.0. No problem. Google is being responsible by not making older unsecure versions of its OS available.
          Last edited by Admin; 01-08-2019, 08:13 PM.
          -Admin

Allen 965
          Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
          Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
          Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

This one is 4.4. It still happens now that I've reinstalled everything. Google isn't just making older versions unavailable; they're monkeying with moderately old ones and causing unintended consequences.

Granted it's officially my fault for making this intentionally crippled phone usable.

Comment

Working...
            X