• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admin,

Yes, it is set to English (UK).
    Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
    Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

Sorry, I've no idea, then. You could try US English, but I doubt that will make a difference. Maybe someone else with an iPad can check this out.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Spent most of the morning researching this. This due to some incompatibility with iOS and the Forum software. The remedy is to
        turn off Smart Punctuation on the ipad Settings --> General --> Keyboard --> Smart Punctuation
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Let's see what happens at my end.

I can't, it doesn't, Yamaha's.

Edit: that's done the trick. Thank you so much, Admin, for your time and effort in resolving this issue

Comment

Also in UK but running Windows 8.1.

Error occurs in all browsers Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) , Firefox 64.0 (64-bit), Opera 57.0.3098.110.

Dump of html inspected with Winhex shows that apostrophes are being sent as three bytes 0xE2 0x80 0x99.

Browsers are interpreting each byte as the relevant display character -

Comment

Seems that including 0xE2 character in text causes server to truncate rest of post - post displayed correctly in preview.

Rest of post was 'Header sent by chrome is :-'

There were 9 headers sent:
              ACCEPT text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8
              ACCEPT_ENCODING gzip, deflate, br
              ACCEPT_LANGUAGE en-GB,en;q=0.9,en-US;q=0.8,pl;q=0.7,hu;q=0.6
              CONNECTION keep-alive
              DNT 1
              HOST www.whatismybrowser.com
              REFERER https://www.google.com/
              UPGRADE_INSECURE_REQUESTS 1
              USER_AGENT Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36

Comment

Thank you. I don't profess to know what you are talking about - way above my head! Thankfully Admin has found a remedy.

Comment

Evidently, the same is happening for me. I'm using OS-X 10.10.x, and the Google Chrome browser mentioned above. However, it's not only on mobile devices, but also on laptops. I guess I just can't use apostrophes in my posts.

Probably better for my grammar anyway!

Michael
                  Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                  • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                  • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

• Admin
                    Admin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The fix is the same. Turn off Smart Punctuation. It's causes the use of the curly open and close quotes and apostrophes instead of the common plain ones.

My understanding is that there's something wrong with the way Apple sends those characters that the current version of the software doesn't handle. It's slated to be fixed in the next version of the Forum software.

The problem is caused by the wrong character set being specified to the browser. The character set is being sent as windows-1252. When the character set is overridden in the browser to UTF-8 the display is correct.

... using the old ISO-8859-1 character set prevalent in vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4

ps: tested on Windows 8.1 not iPad or IOS
                  Last edited by Innocentti; 01-05-2019, 12:02 PM. Reason: update for only windows test

Comment

• Admin
                    Admin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. Yes, that's part of the problem, but not the apparently the entire one. Working on it.

Admin,

Not nearly so disruptive as the apostrophe problem, but I have now found that all text is deleted after use of the letter 'o' with an umlaut (which can produced on my iPad by hovering over 'o'). Smart Punctuation remains disabled. Might be worth a mention to the developers for the next version of the forum software but probably not worth a lot of your time now. I am sure there are more important issues.

Comment

Smart Punctuation is disabled on my laptop as well. Today, my first post was truncated after the apostrophe, and I had to re-type my post. However, in the several posts after that one, everything posted--apostrophe or not. It's quite a strange phenomenon--especially since it's intermittent. Best of luck solving it (I'm on iMac, OS-X, Chrome).

Michael

P.S. After writing this post, guess what, it was truncated due to a special character on the Mac keyboard.
                    Last edited by myorgan; 01-06-2019, 07:47 PM. Reason: Add truncated information.
                    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

I'll probably take the easy way out and spell Bohm without the umlaut, as here.

My apostrophe problem seems to be resolved and has not recurred but it does seem that the forum software has compatibility problems with special characters on Mac keyboards.

Comment

• Admin
                        Admin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This is the same problem. It has been addressed by the software developer in the next revision.

Hi Admin,

does this article provide any clues - more info here.

Mark

Comment

• Admin
                        Admin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was problem of charsets and has been resolved.
                    Working...
                    X