Collapsing Sections I Don't Want to See

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collapsing Sections I Don't Want to See

In the old MB, I could collapse sections that I was not interested in and didn't want to see; e.g., Electronic Organs and MIDI, Reed Organs and Accordions, Organists, etc. How do I do that with this new MB?

Thanks.
    Frank

That's not possible at this time. I would suggest subscribing to those Forums you're interested in then viewing the in your profile.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Not a good answer. The new MB has deleted a valuable tool for me, now forcing me to do a lot of scrolling. So instead of checking this board every day as I have been for the last four years, I'll be checking it only once a week -- or month.

Frank

Comment

If I had my choice, the collapsible sections would still be available, but using subscriptions and notifications on this Forum is a more efficient way of seeing the content you're interested in. Things change in life, you either choose to explore the alternatives and move forward or stay stuck in the past.
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Just an additional comment on this. Once the major issues of the migration are dealt with and I can find the time, I will be adding articles on the various ways of navigating and utilizing this Forum. I might also explore replacing the current home page with links to the various forum areas to help minimize the necessity of scrolling through so much data to access the areas of the Forum you interested in.

However, as I've said, the way to do that now is to subscribe to those forums you're interested in and view them in your profile.

• RogerM
          RogerM commented
          Editing a comment
          “Stuck in the past” is sometimes a comfortable and secure place to be 😊

I'm sorry, but a roundabout way with subscriptions isn't "move forward". That you have to move forward and go to new versions for things like security, reliability, compatibility, etc that is all fine with me. That you loose secundary features like the point system and the avatar nonsense I can live with. If this would be configuration and it takes time before we ahave it back, I understand and can accept. But this is Apple-coolaid.

I have the same feeling as Frank, the appeal of the forum just tanked. We had some usefull tools replaced by facebook and twitter links.

Comment

I have some sympathy with Frank and Havoc but don’t forget Admin can only work with the system and tools available to him. The software migration was virtually forced on him and we can’t hold him responsible for something he didn’t create and cannot alter. I’m sure he is doing his best for us.

Havoc mentions the points system. Is this what shows up in his case as ten orange blocks beneath his user name? Under the old forum I think I had one green block, along with nearly everyone else, which has not transferred to the new version. Can someone please remind me what this is all about and how it works/worked. I can’t find an explanation in the “bumph”.

I won’t have anything to do with Facebook or Twitter so the links are not a move forward for me. However I do realise I am probably in a minority.
          Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
          Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

• Admin
            Admin commented
            Editing a comment
            The reputation point system is still in place. It's purpose is to encourage Forum participation. Points are accumulated in various ways, most commonly by others rating your posts. On this Forum, that is done with the Like button.

Reputations points were carried over from the previous installation; however the pips in the rating display are now finite. If you don't see a rating pip, you've not accumulated enough points. You can view your rating by hovering over the pips.

The links to Twitter and Facebook are to facilitate sharing of information with your friends and other organ communities on these social network.

From previous explanations I got the impression that your "ranking" was transferred, but that the reputation points were replaced by the "like" button. Could be that I never understood the reputation points to start with. Don't really care about them as I'm quite capable of forming my own opinions.

Oh, I agree tha Admin(s) are limited. But I think that software like this has a lot of options, add-ons and other possibilities. So I think that it is usefull to let them know what we like and what we don't like. No problem waiting until they have read the manual and found time to implement a few features.

I don't have accounts and will never have accounts on "social" media wich are the most a-social things around. There is not much social about something that makes people sit around a table busy with an electronic device and not talking -let alone looking- at each other.

Comment

• Admin
            Admin commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't mind suggestions, but I don't like them when accompanied by passive-aggressive ultimatums. I stated in my answer to this question (post #4) that collapsible sections would be my preference. Having said that, don't you think I would have implemented them if it were a simple mod? It's disappointing to me that people are so set in the past they are unwilling to even consider, no less try, using an alternate method that is, at least for me, a more efficient means of following areas of interest on the Forum.

Nearly two months was spent researching alternatives to the old software, staging, and migration. Forum Moderators had the opportunity to view, interact, and comment on this software prior the decision to adopt it. Their feedback was entirely positive.

This Forum has been up for less than two weeks during which I've spent a great deal effort, on a daily basis, dealing with the serious, but inevitable, consequences of data migration. And, they continue. I can say without doubt, that I know more about the limitations and weaknesses of this software than any user, but I know it's strengths as well. I never said that changes here were not possible. In fact, I responded to this question (post #2) with a qualifying, "at this time."

There is now list of links to the various Forum sections in the right side bar, but since that didn't exist in the old Forum, and isn't what you're asking for, I don't expect you to use it. That would be apple-istic.

Originally posted by Havoc View Post

Oh, I agree tha Admin(s) are limited. But I think that software like this has a lot of options, add-ons and other possibilities. So I think that it is usefull to let them know what we like and what we don't like. No problem waiting until they have read the manual and found time to implement a few features.
          Can’t argue with that.

I don't have accounts and will never have accounts on "social" media wich are the most a-social things around. There is not much social about something that makes people sit around a table busy with an electronic device and not talking -let alone looking- at each other.
          We are of like minds here too.
          Previous: Elka Crescendo 303, Technics G7, Yamaha EL-90
          Current: Yamaha AR-100

Comment

Working...
          X