Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Banner Advertisements Be Changed?

Admin,

When I've been logging in recently, the advertising banners obliterate up to half of the page. Is there any way for me to change this or restrict the size? I've included a screenshot below.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Yes some are larger than desirable, but they are for Allen Organs, so I find them suitably fitting for this site.
    Until The Next Dimension,
    Admiral Coluch.

-1929 Wangerin Pipe Organ Historian
    -Owner 1982 Rogers Specification 990

Comment

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine used to be, but it's much better than the electronics crauff I get now. It's a waste of space, but because I've participated in the Subwoofer and other technical threads, the stupid 'bot thinks I want to buy some. I WISH it were just Allens, Rodgers, Johannus, or even Wyvern–though I've never seen one.

Michael

• KC9UDX
      KC9UDX commented
      Editing a comment
      You can (sort of) control the content of the ads. They are based on your general browsing history (I think). I monkeyed with my settings on Google (don't recall exactly what I changed) and since then, I only get generic ads trying to convince me to sign up for Facebook.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      KC9UDX,

Unfortunately, I think in my case it's deeper than that. I have all my browsers set to clear history, cache, and cookies when the program quits. However, from time-to-time, I get really odd ads like women's clothing (of all sorts). It was only after months I realized it is because my wife also share the same modem and is probably searching for women's clothing from aMcy's. That made me realize that since we share the same wireless access point, the IP address of the access point is what some advertisers are storing to serve content rather than the computer or browsing history itself.

To test this theory, one could connect to a wireless access point elsewhere and see if the ads change. However, based on my experiences dealing with ads in the past (as a tech coordinator), I think my theory carries water.

Michael

Not sure I have any control over this, but I'll check.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I have to agree, for some reason on mine the ad takes the form of a huge obnoxious square that I have to scroll a long way down from just to see the actual forum page.
      Would be much better if it could be changed to a normal banner. I think the form factor of the ad that's shown can be adjusted in the AdWords site.

Comment

The Google ad settings for this site is Auto format. This site is a responsive design meaning that the layout changes based on the screen size of your device which is why the ad settings are set to auto.

If you're viewing on a phone oriented in the portrait mode you will indeed see the ad formatted as a square block. Rotate your phone to the landscape mode and you'll see a banner shape.

On my Windows machine using any of the major browsers, Chrome, Edge, Opera, FireFox, the banner ad is a conventionally dimension-ed banner.

I'm out in the middle of Nevada's Black Rock desert until after Labor Day with spotty and slow Internet connectivity, but when I return to civilization, I'll post some screen shots to illustrate my point.
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          I just had the opportunity to view the Forum on a Mac in the Safari browser. The banner ad at the top is double the height of those in the afore-mentioned browsers. So if you're on a Mac, you may have a more conventional experience by using a browser other than Safari. On the other hand, perhaps Google believes it has to make the banner double in size to get the attention of Mac users. :>)

The screenshot I pictured above was from a 13" monitor on a MacBook Air (student laptop at school). It's odd, but after I posted about the size, it reduced appropriately for a day or two, then went back to the larger size ever since. My cache is cleared every time I log off, so it's a new experience every time.

Oh, well. I'll just live with it.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
          The Google ad settings for this site is Auto format. This site is a responsive design meaning that the layout changes based on the screen size of your device which is why the ad settings are set to auto.

If you're viewing on a phone oriented in the portrait mode you will indeed see the ad formatted as a square block. Rotate your phone to the landscape mode and you'll see a banner shape.

On my Windows machine using any of the major browsers, Chrome, Edge, Opera, FireFox, the banner ad is a conventionally dimension-ed banner.

I'm out in the middle of Nevada's Black Rock desert until after Labor Day with spotty and slow Internet connectivity, but when I return to civilization, I'll post some screen shots to illustrate my point.
          For some reason for me, looks like a giant version of the normal small square ad you get in a corner of a page and it has gigantic text? Instead of the normal sort of ad one would expect in an area like that...

Comment

Since myorgan s screen shot was Safari on a Mac, and not a Windows machine or other Mac compatible browser, I don't have any reason to believe that this issue extends beyond Mac and Safari and my suggestion of trying a browser other than Safari still holds.

On the other hand, I viewed this site using Safari again today and the banner ads had reverted to a normal size.
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Admin,

Actually, I was using *oogle *hrome, but you are correct. Today, the ads reverted to normal size.

I guess it's one of those intermittent issues that comes and goes. Oh, well. Thanks for checking.

Michael

• Admin
              Admin commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmm. I assumed you were running Safari because I was running Chrome on Windows when comparing the oversized Mac ads side-by-side. Odd that this would be computer OS specific problem.

Chalk it up to a Google glitch for now I guess.

Now back, I've adjusted the banner size at the top of the page. It is no longer auto-sized to fit the screen, but it should take care of those over-sized ads.
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              MUCH better. Thank you, Admin.

Michael

Thanks for the hard work. Every bit of effort is appreciated!
            Until The Next Dimension,
            Admiral Coluch.

-1929 Wangerin Pipe Organ Historian
            -Owner 1982 Rogers Specification 990

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
              Now back, I've adjusted the banner size at the top of the page. It is no longer auto-sized to fit the screen, but it should take care of those over-sized ads.
              Awesome! They're all but unnoticeable now. Does Google penalise you for this?

Comment

• Admin
                Admin commented
                Editing a comment
                No penalty if the ad isn't cut off.
            Working...
            X