Your password is more than 470 days old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your password is more than 470 days old

Today I got that message when following a link to a topic from a notification e-mail. Well ya, my password is indeed old - from 2005 actually ! I went and changed it, because I understand that changing them on various sites now and then is a good thing for security purposes. I confess that I usually don't bother to do that though - particularly for sites I visit every day. While I was changing the forum password, I got a popup saying I needed to change my Allen Owners Group password as well. I'm thinking I got that one changed now too, but want to check on a couple things.

1, When the old Yahoo Allen Owners Group was imported here, it seems like our passwords from the Yahoo version were imported too - for that group only ? Guess I never realized that, as when I looked at it, it just worked like a normal section of the forum.

2, I changed my passwords on both the forum and the Allen organ owners group to the same one. Since that worked, I figure that is OK then ?

3, 470 days seems like an odd amount of time for asking folks to change passwords. Will that be happening regularly now at that interval ?

If these questions sound pretty basic, I'm sorry. I use computers as a tool mostly - all the ins and outs are not my forte. I just want them, and the sites I go to a lot, to work with as little fuss as possible. Admin, Thank You once again for all the work you do to make this site possible - it is an extremely valuable resource for us "organ crazy" people !
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

I also had a password issue today, but will contact Admin via Private Message.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

A recent security update to the Forum software requires that passwords be changed once a year. 470 days is the amount of time elapsed since your password was last updated in our database. Even though you've been using the same password for a longer time, the date was likely updated with the major revision to the Forum software in January of 2019.

There is not a separate password for the Forum User Groups. Forum and User Group log-ins are one and the same so I don't know why you were presented with a message to change your User Group password. There's no such password. I don't even know how or where on the Forum you would do this. Maybe you can tell me where you changed your User Group password?🤔

No credentials from the Yahoo Allen Organ Owners Group were imported to the Forum. These would have been your Yahoo credentials and not surprisingly were not part of the Group data provided by Yahoo. In fact, the usernames prefixed "aog_" you see in the Forum groups were derived from the user's email address associated with Yahoo Group's mailing list when I imported the Group data.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Everything seems to be working just fine actually. But ya, I really did get a popup box to tell me to change my Allen Organ Group password WHILE I was in the middle of changing my regular forum one. In addition, the box to change the Allen Group one did not accept my forum password ( new or old ) to enable the change. So I used my Yahoo Groups password as the current one, and then put in the same new one I have now for the regular forum. That worked fine apparently, so I don't know what to say.

That Yahoo Mail / Groups password I needed to use to enable the change is from a really old Yahoo account that is mostly unused now, but still active. I mainly used that account for organ related groups there, and no personal information ( not even my name ) is associated with it. I'm not too worried about having to use it here, however I should probably go change it for good measure ?

And no, I'm not making this up - it really did happen. I thought it was very strange, and that is why I posted about it. It may have been some glitch or the like, and probably would be hard to duplicate or check out now ?

I am getting a touch of "cabin fever" these days, but I'm not completely crazy just yet.
        Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Larry,

In the future when it does that, take a screenshot to send to include with your post.

On a PC, you can press the Print Screen button, and that will put a copy of your screen into the computer's memory. Then, you can paste it into Paint, Word, or any other program that takes pictures.

On a Mac, you press Command+Shift+4, and that will save a screenshot–probably to your desktop as a PNG file.

Hope that helps.

Michael

• Larrytow
          Larrytow commented
          Editing a comment
          You are right - I should have done that. At the moment I was just trying to check in on a topic I had posted on quickly, before going on to other stuff today. So when it said "do this" I just did it.

I have to stress that your Yahoo credentials are unknown to the Forum, so there is absolutely no way those credentials could have worked on any Forum related credential requests unless they were also your Forum credentials. Again repeating, the Forum software does not support passwords for User Groups, nor does the Forum have a pop-up that allows you to change your password.

If I'm being overly emphatic about this it's not because I'm doubting your experience, it's because I'm concerned that there may be a security breach on your end. Is it possible you had a browser tab open on Yahoo when you were changing your Forum password? Are you using a password manager or browser based auto-fill configuration?

I think it would be wise for you to sign-in to your Yahoo account. If it requires your updated credentials, then the pop-up you saw was originated by Yahoo. If you can log in to Yahoo with your old Yahoo credentials, I'd be concerned and immediately change my Yahoo credentials.

As myorgan says, screenshots would be helpful if possible in the future for things like this.
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Same problem here. Today I got an email about a post from Valiant Farmer, clicked the link, and read the post without problem. https://organforum.com/forums/node/727626 Page showed I was logged in.

Also today I got an email about a post from mpscholle, https://organforum.com/forums/node/727627 , clicked the link, and got the "expired 471 days ago" message below. What to do - what to do?

I changed my password after that 471 message, but still get the same 471 message when clicking the mpscholle link.

Click image for larger version  Name:	expired.png Views:	0 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	727647

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Nutmegct,

It looks like you were logged in already (your screenname is beside Notifications and Messages), and the screenshot is helpful (if small). Did you hover your mouse (DON'T CLICK!) on the link provided in the 2nd paragraph. Doing that will reveal the link it is attempting to lead you to. If it is NOT the OrganForum, it would be helpful to know that.

Also, were you already logged into the Forum BEFORE clicking on the link in your e-mail, or only AFTER? That information is helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

P.S. It would be helpful if you could crop your image before posting. If you need help, let us know.

• Admin
            Admin commented
            Editing a comment
            You cannot be presented with the password expired message if you're not signed-in. The link takes you to your User Settings to change your password. Think about it. :>)
            Last edited by Admin; 04-20-2020, 09:00 AM.

The valiant farmer link took me directly to the forum post shown in the link. No problem there. The mpscholle link took me directly to the Organ Forum password expired message. What happens when you click the mpscholle link?

Interesting that you also had a password problem today. What happened?

I was already logged in to the forum both times.

I'm probably dense, but how would cropping that image help anything? When I uploaded it, it was much larger on the screen. Seems the forum software shrank it.

Thanks.
          Tom M.

Comment

• Larrytow
            Larrytow commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya, there must be some sort of glitch happening. Randomly to various people, obviously. Good to know I'm not the only one.

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, and that's what Tom (nutmegct) helped confirm. I just hope you're not the veritable "tip of the iceburg!" Each piece of information is another clue.

Michael

• Larrytow
            Larrytow commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder if Tom is also part of the imported Allen Yahoo group ? If so, that may help Admin track it down ? Although I do use Yahoo for my main e-mail, after all the problems they had a few years ago, I'm not sure they had / have everything under control yet. Might be they had some passwords mixed in with the imported data ? Unfortunate if so, but not shocking.

OK - I'm going nuts. I just (7:40pm) got an email, showing "myorgan" posted a reply to this thread. The email shows the beginning of myorgan's reply as "Tom, If you noticed, the last couple words in the 2nd paragraph saying, "this page" and are colored blue. That means they are linked to something "

I clicked the link in the email, and was taken to this thread we're reading now - but myorgan's post with the quoted text above isn't here at all.

Also, yes, the "this page" text in that screen shot is blue. And it links to the forum change password page. Not sure why you're pointing this out.

I've never been a member of the Allen Yahoo group - didn't even know there is/was one. I don't have a Yahoo email account.

Please get my padded cell ready.

Comment

OK - this is fun. I see the comments block in Post 7. It shows three comments. but at the top of that block there's a tiny arrow. Click the arrow and *four* posts appear - and the first one is myorgan's regarding the blue text, etc.

For my ancient brain, this forum seems a bit complicated!

Comment

• myorgan
              myorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              They're comin' to take us away, he he, ha ha, ho ho.... I would imagine you're not the only one feeling like that. I've sworn I've posted something, then can't find it–only to discover the same arrow you did. It's been a learning curve, for sure!

'Til we meet in the padded room!

Michael

As was explained in post #3, all Forum passwords now expire after one year. This is a due to a recent security change, so some people may notice that their password expired more than 365 days ago. Most password dates were updated in January of 2019 which explains an expiration date of over 470 days ago.

If you elect to remain signed into the Forum by checking the Remember Me button on initial sign-in, the Forum checks for the existence of a cookie on your machine each time you visit the Forum and does not necessarily validate the password expiration date at that time. The Forum periodically checks the validity of the cookie while you are active and will detect an expired password. That is why nutmegct was able to navigate to the first post, but got the password expiration message for the second.

Complicating matters is server and browser cacheing of Forum content which is why nutmegct still got the password expired message after changing his password. Clear your browser cached or force a complete page refresh with Shift+F5 on Windows or Command+Shift+R on a Mac.
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Thank you! Sometimes negotiating the winding paths of forum details can be a bit daunting for us pump organ types.

Reminds me of a favorite forum joke:

http://pacioli.loyola.edu/aecm/unsub.html

Tom M.

Comment

• Admin
                Admin commented
                Editing a comment
                HaHa. Well, I don't think the Forum is quite that complex to use, but if you find the commenting system confusing, or can't find a post that you received a notification for, switch from the Posts view to the Latest Activities view at the top of the page of the topic you are reading. This provides a strict reverse chronological list of posts and comments.

You can default all topics to a Latest Activities view by altering your User Settings.

Originally posted by Larrytow View Post
              Although I do use Yahoo for my main e-mail, after all the problems they had a few years ago, I'm not sure they had / have everything under control yet. Might be they had some passwords mixed in with the imported data ? Unfortunate if so, but not shocking.
              As I (twice) previously stated, there were no Yahoo credentials in the Allen Organ Owners Group data provided by Yahoo. I personally wrote the code that extracted this data and added it to the Forum. Even if someone were foolish enough to include their username and password in a message they posted to the Yahoo list, and I'm not aware of any instance of this, it was not used to create an Organ Forum membership nor was it associated with an existing Organ Forum Member.

If you're interested in getting to the bottom of this you'll have to answer the questions I posed previously
              1. Did you have a browser tab open on Yahoo when you were changing your Forum password?
              2. Are you using a password manager or browser based auto-fill configuration?
              3. How and where on the Forum did you change your Allen Organ Group credentials, since Forum groups do not have support for credentials?
              4. Prior to changing your Forum password, were your Yahoo and Forum credentials the same?
              5. After changing your password(s), can you log into Yahoo with your old credentials?

Sometimes the words used in describing a problem can be mis-interpreted. I'm basing my understanding on these factors
              1. "a pop up box to tell me to change my Allen Organ Group password WHILE I was in the middle of changing my regular forum one." I'm interpreting WHILE to mean concurrent with, at the same time as, during, your Forum password change, not afterwards when you tried to navigate elsewhere.
              2. That pop up box means a box that overlays an underlying page and not a new page.
              Last edited by Admin; 04-20-2020, 10:42 AM.
              -Admin

Allen 965
              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
              X