Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure others with old iPhones will find it useful. FYI, the Advanced Search list also displays the See More link that is hidden on your phone. I understand that Apple tribal loyalty is strong. Perhaps the Opera browser would be a more palatable solution. I suggested Edge because it uses the same Chrome engine that Google does.

• gary.chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by Admin View Post
    I've researched this further. I don't have an iPhone, but according to the specs, an iPhone 7 has a screen resolution of 1334 x 750. The software will display the Show More link for display widths greater than 767 pixels. With that in mind, rotating your phone should enable that link provided that you've turned off the rotation lock. On the other hand, I found a reference saying that older iPhone browsers are pretty dumb and ignore this setting. If you are not using the most current Chrome and Safari versions, you should update. If that doesn't fix the problem, you could try the iPhone version of MS Edge.
    I thank you for your excellent responsiveness to my issue... very impressive. On the other hand, to the idea of willingly installing Microsoft software, I can only say "Phooey"!

Having continued to experiment, it now appears to me that the most effective method of quickly getting a reverse-chronological listing of posts in my subscribed channels is simply to do an Advanced Search with just the "Search in my subscriptions only" box checked.

This seems to produce a very nice list... I find (surprisingly) that the other methods of viewing "My Subscriptions" do not produce as complete an up-to-date list of recent posts.

Also, with the Advanced Search method, one can "GO TO POST" and then successfully just use the "go back arrow" to return to the search results.

Thanks again! - Gary

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied
    I've researched this further. I don't have an iPhone, but according to the specs, an iPhone 7 has a screen resolution of 1334 x 750. The software will display the Show More link for display widths greater than 767 pixels. With that in mind, rotating your phone should enable that link provided that you've turned off the rotation lock. On the other hand, I found a reference saying that older iPhone browsers are pretty dumb and ignore this setting. If you are not using the most current Chrome and Safari versions, you should update. If that doesn't fix the problem, you could try the iPhone version of MS Edge.
    You can run Microsoft Edge on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, as well as any Mac device. Download and installation are easy to complete.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	you-cant-always-get-what-you-want.png Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	741016

I didn't write the software. I don't know why the developer's chose to hide that link for smaller display sizes, but they likely had their reasons. It's not a bug. This behavior was explicitly programmed.
    Last edited by Admin; 09-05-2020, 12:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gary.chapman
    replied
    Unfortunately "SEE MORE" does not appear in landscape mode on my iPhone 7, using either Safari or Chrome. In both
    portrait and landscape mode, there is oodles of room next to "GO TO POST" - so I think ideally a revision would be made
    to show that link.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    commented on 's reply
    The See More link is hidden, as are other Forum features, if the display is less than a certain width. If you rotate your phone 90 degrees, to landscape mode, it should be there. It is on Android devices.

Mobile devices, phones and tablets, account for slightly less than half of all traffic here.

• gary.chapman
    replied
    Thanks. "SEE MORE" is a nice option -- unfortunately it simply does not appear on my phone when using Safari or Chrome browsers... only the GO TO POST option appears! I'd have to use a desktop/laptop to have this option, and phone is my preferred way (as is probably true for many others). This seems like something that could be fixed....

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied
    Rather than going to a post to read it, click See More to expand it to its full content in the list.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SeeMore.png Views:	0 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	741000

Then, collapse down by clicking See Less when done reading.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SeeLess.png Views:	0 Size:	101.8 KB ID:	741001

You can comment on the post without leaving the list by clicking Comment link in the tool bar. If you want to make a full reply, you will have to click Go To Post. To avoid losing your place in the the list, right click Go To Post to open the post in a new tab.

Or

Use the Notifications list, rather than the Subscriptions list, to view and navigate new additions to your subscribed areas. The disadvantage is that you have to navigate to each entry in the list to view its contents, but the back button will take you back to the list.
    Last edited by Admin; 09-05-2020, 07:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gary.chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by Admin
    Subscriptions are the key to accomplishing what you want. The information on Subscriptions and how to use them is in the Articles area of the Forum here. Only those topics that you have subscribed to will appear in your subscription lists, with the most recent activity at the top of the list. You can further restrict what appears in your lists by using the list filtering options available.
    Thanks. This seems good - I can pretty quickly get a listing of posts just from subscribed channels. But a significant inconvenience is that if you click to see a posting in the list and then "go back" from that post to the list, you don't land back on the list, but rather on the screen that preceded the list. Thus to look at all new posts, you have to repeatedly navigate to the list of posts...
    Last edited by myorgan; 09-04-2020, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    commented on 's reply
    The above link now contains links to the in-depth articles on Subscriptions and Notifications found in the Articles section of the Forum.

• Admin
    replied
    The information in the link myorgan provided above, although correct, has been superseded by two, more detailed articles, one on notifications, and one on subscriptions. Although the two features are interrelated, they are independent of each other. The content of that link has been revised to contain links to those articles. These links also are included in the text below.

Subscriptions are the key to accomplishing what you want. The information on Subscriptions and how to use them is in the Articles area of the Forum here. Only those topics that you have subscribed to will appear in your subscription lists, with the most recent activity at the top of the list. You can further restrict what appears in your lists by using the list filtering options available.

Various Forum activities can trigger Notifications. If you are receiving Notifications for activities you're not interested in, you need to re-configure your Notification settings. That article is here. You also should check your Subscriptions and remove any that are not an interest to you.

Finally, if you don't want to use subscriptions, there are two other means to accomplish what you want. One is to navigate the to the channels you are interested in and select the Latest Activity tab to view the latest posts. The second way is to use the Advanced Search function of the Forum. You can limit your search to activity since your last visit and the channels you are interested in.
    Last edited by Admin; 09-03-2020, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gary.chapman
    replied
    Thanks, but I don’t see how this helps... I simply don’t want to see messages from the many forums that I don’t subscribe to. This seems like a reasonable thing to me!

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    replied
    Gary,

You may find the information you need here: https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...-notifications

Michael

Leave a comment:

• gary.chapman
    started a topic Restricting search

Restricting search

Hi. I efficiently read the forum each day by doing a Forums search for New Topics or Today’s Posts... but I see a lot of posts from forums I’m not subscribed to... is there a way of limiting what’s return to the forums I’m interested in? Thanks!
Working...
X