This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on typical Compression driver behaviour

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: -webkit-monospace; white-space: pre-wrap; ">G'day folks!</span></p>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: -webkit-monospace; white-space: pre-wrap; ">Unless you haven't chatted with me before, I'm working on a DIY leslie monstrosity here in New Zealand.This week I've been pottering with some old horn drivers since I can't get the real Jensen nor equivalent for now.</span></p>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: -webkit-monospace; white-space: pre-wrap; ">The latest is a British Truvox midrange driver.One thing I've noticed with this midrange job, and also on the heppner high freq driver I tried earlier, and on all my spare tweeters too for that matter (even with a 12dB high pass filter) is a high frequency rasp, not a crackle, but a shimmering, whistling, breathy rasp. At the moment its coming thru on notes from D5 up, though sometimes it seems to be there all the time.Are older compression drivers like these prone to harmonic distortions, or have all of the drivers I've been trying damaged?OR could it be that my organ is producing these sounds but the (til now) 8" midrange cones I was using were never sensitive enough to bring it out?</span></p>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: -webkit-monospace; white-space: pre-wrap; ">Those drivers sure produce a fuller sound than the cones. I like 'em!Cheers!-Brendon</span></p>
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
    -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
    -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
    -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
    -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.
Working...
X