This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Card Reader Repair on Allen 603-D

I have a friend who wishes me to fix the dead card reader on her Allen 603-D. My plan is to replace the lamps with the Card Reader LED Kit from Harrison Labs. It is my understanding that there's a high probability that dead lamps are the problem.
    </p>

Is there a kind soul who would give me some step by step instructions for removing the card reader? I think once it's out, I can follow the directions that come with the kit.</p>

Comments?
    </p>

Re: Card Reader Repair on Allen 603-D

I'm not sure I'm a kind soul, but here goes...</P>
    1. <LI>Open the top to the organ.</LI>
      <LI>Disconnect the flat cable connector at the back of the card reader (the one with lights).</LI>
      <LI>Unscrew the screws that connect it to the organ console.</LI>

Hope this helps.</P>

Michael</P>

P.S. JBird604 is better at this than I am--he taught me everything I knows.[;)]</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Michael has given good advice. I might add that you want to make sure you put the flat connector back on in the proper direction. It will go on either way, but if you put it on backwards it will destroy the card reader! Allen placed a yellow dot on some assemblies to correspond to a yellow dot on the connector. If there is no dot, make a mark with a Sharpie before you remove the connector. Observe the numbers on the connector and the board, and DOUBLE-CHECK when putting the connector back on.</P>

If you want to do a more thorough job, carefully disassemble the entire reader, removing the lamp holder and the little pc board on the opposite side. With all the parts out of the way, blow the holes out clean with compressed air, then re-assemble.</P>

You must take extreme care to watch how all the screws and nuts and bolts go on, and the spacers and washers, etc. You want to put it back together exactly as it was.</P>

I have not done the LED conversion, but I assume there are clear directions in the Harrison Labs kit.</P>

John</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

We have discussed replacing lamps before here in the forum. It isn't necessary to upgrade to the Harrison Kit (unless you've already made the purchase).

Comment

my expertise is in pipe organs, but I had to deal with this problem at the church where I play. First, have you determined that there ARE bulbs burned out? you can look inwards thru the slot in the front and see that they are all illuminated. My friend (certified Allen tech) said that the brightness level is important in the proper functioning of the card reader, so check the power supply for the correct 5-volts output (not sure but I understand the tolerance is pretty tight). The card reader at chyurch was having problems with not reading the cards despite the fact that the bulbs were all lit and voltage was correct and it turned out to be oxidiation on the card connector. What you might try just for grins (before you start dis-assembling everything) is to slide the connector on the edge of the circuit card at both ends of the flat cable to see if that corrects the problem. Again, I defer to those with more expertise in Allen repairs than I have...just my thoughts.</p>

</p>

Rick in VA
          </p>

Comment

I'll only comment on Rick's post that the card reader lamp voltage is normally set at around 8 volts, not 5 volts. The lamps are rated for 12 volts, but Allen drives them at a much lower voltage to lengthen their life.</P>

Perhaps the 5 volts you mention refers to the + and - 5 volt regulators in the power supply section, which do need to be set pretty accurately. However, these are not directly related to the card reader.</P>

The card reader voltage has an adjustment knob on the power supply chassis (marked "CR" or "Card Reader" and there are two terminals on the chassis that go directly to the card reader lamps. You can clip your voltage meter to these two terminals and adjust the pot for 8.0 volts to begin with. That will probably be about right, but the more rigorous procedure is to find the upper and lower limits of the voltage range before the reader starts to misread cards, then set the voltage at the midpoint between those two extremes. </P>

You might also just look at the card reader body and you'll probably see a voltage stamped on it. If so, that means it was calibrated at the factory, and you should set the voltage at that level, though many of us like to set it about a half volt higher to compensate for losses in the wiring.</P>

While you may indeed find this to be the problem, it's more likely that some of the lamps are out. Note thatyou'll see a couple of holes without lamps, so don't put any lamps in where there are none. The Allen cards do not use all the holes to convey data.</P>

It does need blowing out every few years too, so that would be a good idea.</P>

John</P>
            <P mce_keep="true"></P>
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'll look at the organ today.</P>

Comment

I've done a bit of investigating and find that one bulb is burned out. Should the card reader be able to read a card (though inaccurately) with one light missing? Right now I get nothing. It is as if the card reader is switched off.

Comment

[quote user="Barry"]I've done a bit of investigating and find that one bulb is burned out. Should the card reader be able to read a card (though inaccurately) with one light missing? Right now I get nothing. It is as if the card reader is switched off.[/quote]</P>

Barry,</P>

Sounds like it's lack of power. You can try the following:</P>
                  1. <LI>Make sure the card reader ribbon cable is plugged into the back of the card reader (correctly, I might add). This was detailed in a post by JBird604 earlier in this thread.</LI>
                    <LI>Make sure the card reader power supply is plugged in. This is a big, black box in the back of your organ.</LI>
                    <LI>The card reader may have a blown fuse in the card reader power supply--again, the big, black box.</LI>
                    <LI>Or the card reader adjust may be incorrect. Personally, I'd leave this one to a professional organ tech unless you're an electronics whiz kid.</LI>

When replacing the lights, the card reader should work. You can de-solder the non-working bulb and put in a new one. I keep a supply on hand for my organs--just in case. It's been my experience, however, that when I replace one, two more stop working, etc. You may want to consider replacing them all, even though the rest are working.</P>

In my photo gallery, I have a photo of an MOS-2 Card reader with one blown bulb as pictured from the back. It also shows the ribbon cable connected.</P>

If you need a new card reader, there is one currently for sale on eBay for only $<STRIKE>15.00</STRIKE> $9.99. It is from an old MOS-I instrument (603D).</P>

Michael</P>
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

Michael,</p>

Thanks for the good advice. I think I'm getting cold feet. If the organ were mine, I'd jump right in and experiment, but it belongs to someone else.</p>

I think it's time to call a tech.</p>

Thanks for the comments!
                    </p>

Comment

What type of lamps do you use when replacing card reader lamps? There are several 12 volt lamps available from Amazon.com.

Comment

Originally posted by coakwell View Post
                        What type of lamps do you use when replacing card reader lamps? There are several 12 volt lamps available from Amazon.com.
                        Coakwell,

Welcome to the Forum. If you search in the upper, right-hand corner of the forum for card reader lamps, you should find the answer.

Michael

P.S. This thread also has some recommendations: https://www.organforum.com/forums/showthread.php?45102

Comment

This week I replaced the lamps in the non-functioning card reader of an Allen 2160 organ that had 5 burned out lamps. For replacement, I used 14 volt 1.2 watt lamps from Amazon.com because they fit the holes in the card reader better than the smaller 12 volt 0.72 watt lamps. I set the card reader voltage at 8.0 volts. The card reader now functions perfectly. Using the larger 14 volt lamps should make them last much longer than 12 volt lamps when used at 8 volts.

Comment

Coakwell,

Excellent to hear. I would imagine the higher voltage lamps would last longer as well.

Are you aware of the Allen Tone Card thread on the Forum? It is quite informative, and has lots of good information (i.e. that MOS cards can be read in the ADC card reader). It is located here: https://www.organforum.com/forums/showthread.php?4206.

I hope you continue with us on the Forum. Thanks for sharing your results.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                            X