Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used the foam. They came in packs of 8, I think.
    Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

Update; I get them in a pack of 10. Because I just did 16 of them for an ADC5400 install.
      Also, after trying all sorts of methods, chemical as well as mechanical, to get the goo-y old surrounds off the paper cone - a real pain - I found it simplest to use a small set of sharp scissors and just cut the stuff off around the perimeter of the paper cone. First a rough cut and then a little cleanup trimming. The remaining frame junk I soak with alcohol for a few minutes, and then use a 1/4" wide chisel to scrape the first layer off. Then re-soak and you may have to do this about 3 times to get it all off. You will lose some of the black paint in that groove, but the new surround will cover it nicely.
      It's hard to get them as "pretty" as the new ones - some excess glue, etc. And you need to let the glue set up a bit before applying the new ring. Also go easy on the glue, you only need a small film. I use compressed air to blow the junk out of the cup before glueing.
      As I said, not quite as pretty but they sound beautiful!
      Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

I might add something I learned about 15" woofer re-foaming. At some $100 a pop for a new one, repairing it yourself is quite a saving. I learned a trick to keep the cone perfectly in place while doing the re-foaming. Do this AFTER you clean all the glue and debris off and before you replace the foam ring. With a hobby knife cut out the center dome carefully as close to its edge as possible. Now you see the voice coil. From manilla file folders I have some cut strips about 1.5" long and about 3/8" wide. I insert those strips between the magnet pole and the voice coil, putting those strips opposite each other. Do that until the pole is fully surrounded - 6 to 8 pieces should do it - and do it always with opposite pairs. It may be tight, and you may have to pre-curve the short end a bit to slip it in, but tight is what you want. Now the cone and voice coil are perfectly centered and will stay in place while you fit the new foam ring. Once the foam ring glue is dry, pull out the strips. Next, take the cut cap and place it back where it was - I find the exact same position by purposely cutting an irregularity into the pseudo round cut, so it's like two puzzle pieces - and put a fat bead of the black glue (supplied by the speaker parts sellers) over the dome cut and let it dry over night. While not as pretty as the original bead, it will do the trick.
        I have done several dozen of these and they always came out perfect!
        One caution: Do not let ANYTHING get into the pole gap - even the minutest particle could cause problem!

Comment

• jbird604
          jbird604 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good information to have. I haven't yet tried doing a 15" driver, but I had a few HC-12's come in recently with bad woofers and I may attempt it. Thanks for the tip.

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Perhaps I'm lucky, but I've never needed to remove the dust cover or use shims to keep the voice coil centered and I've refoamed about a dozen 15" drivers. I simply ensured that there was no rubbing when fastening the new surround. This may have something to do with the design of the speaker having an inner support maintaining the centering. The instructions in the kit I used advised the use of shims to prevent rubbing if necessary, but I never found it necessary.

The surround repair kits that I got from Parts Express for the 15" Eminence woofers in my P32 came with thin plastic shims to insert in the VC gap (after removing the dust cover). Made it very easy to keep things properly centered during the installation.

--- Tom
        Rodgers 660 with additional analog rack sets (practice), 36D/C in digital conversion, Yamaha CVP-107

Comment

There you go. No need to make the strips!

Comment

I feel like the grocery clerk asking "paper or plastic?" but in my case it is "foam or cloth?"

The topic of saving Peerless 4.5" midrange drivers on Allen HC speakers has had several thorough discussions on here. The consensus is that it is better to replace the surround with the Bose 901 part rather than substitute a lesser speaker. Then there is the issue of the dual 4-ohm units wired in series in the HC-12 and the single 8-Ohm unit in the HC-15 since the 4-ohm units are no longer available from Allen.

Someone has been selling both 4 and 8 ohm Peerless drivers on ebay with replacement surrounds at a price that doesn't seem too bad (although it did go up by $5 after the first round of speakers was offered.)

A recent post on the Allen Organ Owner's Group on F*cebook showed photos of Peerless drivers before and after the surround replacement. I found a mention of The Speaker Exchange in Tampa as a source of surrounds. Interestingly, their surround is cloth and they say, "Repair your Bose 901 or Bose 802 speakers with this new cloth surround repair kit! Unlike foam, these cloth surrounds will last a lifetime!" At $59 for 20, the price is certainly good.

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...0-pack-rck901/

The ones previously mentioned here from Parts Express are foam. There were some complaints on the Parts Express site about the long drying time of the glue for their foam surrounds and John mentioned a slight size issue. The video from TSE suggests they provide a fairly fast drying glue.

So my question is this: has anyone tried the cloth surrounds?
            Last edited by AllenAnalog; 07-16-2020, 08:19 PM.
            Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog
              So my question is this: has anyone tried the cloth surrounds?
              Larry,

No, but I'm willing to try for my first project re-foaming surrounds. Just last night I was noticing that the Swell speakers were buzzing a little–especially with the Celeste engaged. Just one of these sets of surrounds will complete an entire organ for me.

I also like that I don't need to remove the speaker from the cabinet to replace these, as they are already in cans. The only issue would be turning the speaker over and shaking it to get the pieces of surrounds out of the can!

Larry, if you recommend it, I'm willing to take a chance. It's only $60+S&H.

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• myorgan
                myorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                It's only $60. I'll give them a try and let y'all know. Perhaps even recordings.

Michael

• myorgan
                myorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, I tried, but failed. They wanted my firstborn child (even with a PP transaction), so I'll go with a different company. I'll keep you all posted.

Michael

• AllenAnalog
                AllenAnalog commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure what you meant by "firstborn child." What went wrong with the transaction? Perhaps just as well you didn't buy these.

I sent them an inquiry about the cloth product. Here is the response:

The Bose foam will fit, but the standard 4.25” foam works better. It is at the link below. It won’t fit inverted though, but neither will the Bose foam.

https://reconingspeakers.com/product...-roll-rfk4-25/

It would be $45 each for us to refoam them for you. Usually you would need a quantity of 8 to get a discount.

They have a page about the Peerless K040-MRF driver: https://reconingspeakers.com/2011/11...drange-repair/

Upon closer inspection of the photo on the Allen Organ Owners Group F*cebook page it looks like they did not use the cloth surround.

Confused yet?

I'm confused for sure! When I first read about the new cloth surrounds I thought I'd just order some and work up a batch. But now I'm skittish. Got quite a few of the foam kits on hand already, so I'll just stick with those, I guess, unless you guys find something better. I do hate that these "Bose" surrounds are not a perfect fit for the Peerless can, and thus need the tiniest trim before being laid in place. The experience here is that sometimes they DO fit without trimming, but sometimes they don't. Perhaps the foam varies in size a few microns, or the metal cans vary a tad.
              John
              ----------
              *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I did not use Parts *xpress for those Bose surrounds. The Co. I used is Simply Speakers.
                https://www.simplyspeakers.com/bose-...ker-parts.html

I find those foam surrounds fit exactly on the midrange speakers. I think the cloth is a new addition, as I had not seen them previously.

Comment

John V.,

Thank you for the recommendation, I was able to place an order with your vendor without issue.

Larry, firstborn child is a reference I use when someone is requesting more information than they need to complete my order (i.e. they ask for the firstborn child even though they don't need it). My unpublished telephone number is NOT required to complete the order, nor is my age, nor is my e-mail address, nor is my card number, expiration or CVC. When completing the purchase with *ayPal, the essential information is provided the vendor at completion of the purchase and nothing more. To require that information as a condition of purchase BEFORE checkout with PP is invasive, IMHO. They're just trying to collect information for marketing purposes, and to sell to other companies. PP doesn't sell their information that I know of.

Thank you all for the information about sourcing surround kits for the mid-range speakers. Completing my own will save a lot of time and hassle.

Michael
                  Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                  • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                  • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• you795a
                    you795a commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree that is too much information to give if you are using 'aypal. Especially in this day and age. I would be skeptical and would not feel very secure giving out that information. I'm surprised they didn't ask for your SSN as well (sarcasm).
                Working...
                X