Galanti batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galanti batteries

I sure would appreciate some help, since we're at a dead end. My friend's church has a Galanti 250 that is about 18 years old. The backup batteries in the console and the voice expander finally died, and wouldn't retain the presets. We changed both batteries, but how have different problems. The organist swears that the console voices are different and louder. We do have a sheet that has the voicing values initially installed, but have no idea how to access them. There does appear to be a radio receiver in the console, but we don't have the "remote" any more, if they ever had it.

The expander does not work. It sees the note data, but no sounds come out. It also sees the preset buttons for the A console memory, but for the B memory, the preset buttons appear to be offset by 2 - pushing preset #1 shows as #3 at the expander.

Before we go to the expense of having a tech come out, is there anything we can do to fix these problems? The console itself works properly, except for the voicing change. The organist does have control over the volumes, but says it is louder overall. I will remind her of the manual volume sliders next time I see her - maybe that's the only problem there (I hope!)
    Home organ, same as church's organ - Rodgers 940

Sign on my work toolbox that effectively keeps people away:

DANGER!!! 1,000,000 OHMS!!!

Hi,

I assume the model inquestion here is the Ahlborn SL-250. To make certain changes you will need the interactive programmer. When you change the battery or the battery fails, the unit reverts to factory settings. This accounts for the differences in volume levels.

As to the expander, I assume you are talking here of an Archive Module. If you see Midi data blinking in the screen, and can operate the stops manually, but no sound, you may want to check the Midi channeling between the Archive unit and the organ. Hopefully you do have the module's audio output hooked to something. Also, you may want to check the volume output of the unit.

The pistons are probsbly fine. With Ahlborn-Galanti organs and modules, the pistons are numbered in sequence. If memory level A on the organ matches memory 1 on the Archive, so far so good. But if the the organ has 2 more pistons per memory level then the Archive, that explains the difference.

I don't think there is anything here that can't be solved. The organ does sound better if it is properly set-up and voiced.

AV

Comment

arie v, thank you for your reply! It is quite helpful.

How would I go about checking the MIDI channeling? Each manual and the pedals are set to the appropriate channel, according to the owner's manual. The Module is set to the same channels. That's as far as I understand MIDI.

The outputs are indeed connected to functioning amps/speakers, and the volume at the back of the Module is turned up.

We don't have the programmer, although there is a radio receiver-type box in the console. It has a wire antenna, and a sticker that says it belongs to AG. I suppose only an AG tech has the programmer. As my pal put it - "It's like buying a Ford, but only leasing the engine."

About the pistons/Module. Would bad MIDI channeling cause the mismatch for memory B? There seems to be a two number difference, so that seems logical to me.
      Home organ, same as church's organ - Rodgers 940

Sign on my work toolbox that effectively keeps people away:

DANGER!!! 1,000,000 OHMS!!!

Comment

Hi, I was reading your comment and from what you say, you have changed the backup battery of the Galanti 250. I have an european Ahlborn Hymnus 350 since 17 years ago an now is having the problem of the battery exhausted, what no longer keeps in memory any configuration. Could you tell me where the battery is to be able to change it? I will be very grateful if you can help me with this. Best regards. Al
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Hymnus 350 IMG_2462.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	605994Click image for larger version

Name:	Hymnus 350 IMG_2463.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	605995

Comment

Hi,

The battery is located on the CPU. It is a solder in type. Originals were 3.6 volt ni-cad, but replacments can also be ni-mh.

The CPU board is located in the metal cage. I don't have access to schematics right now, but believe the CPU board is the board closest to the keyboards. The battery looks like a cylinder, usually blue or green in colour

AV

Comment

Ok, infinite thanks for the data. Then I'll tell you if I could find the battery.
            I am very angry with the manufacturer because they told me that the battery has a life of 10 years, and after that time it is necessary to change it. The problem is that the battery is welded and hidden and without easy access for the user. Welding a battery to an electronic circuit (with the risk of acid spilling) is the same as placing a time bomb. They know that this can happen. In spite of this, the detail of the expiry of the battery life is not explained in the user's manual. I think that the battery should be separated from the electronic circuit to keep the integrity of these safe. They think that there should already be spilled acid on the circuit board. This is unacceptable from every point of view and this means that the manufacturer has committed a serious design error.
            Thanks again and I will keep you updated.
            Alfredo

Comment

Thank you, arie v, for sharing your knowledge. I have an Ahlborn SL 250 and the three channel stereo amp keeps blowing fuses. An electrical engineer friend is repairing the board with new chips and replacing some soft capacitors. He has succeeded in tweaking things to original factory specs from schematics we have been able to obtain. Reinstallation of the amp board is on the immediate horizon. I noticed, before diagnostics of no sound from the interior speakers or the accessory connections (the organ fine when using headphones) that the settings I entered into the display for sound configuration, tremulant, etc. would always revert to what I believed to be a factory setting and not retain my custom settings after the instrument was powered off. I wondered if there was a battery somewhere that was employed to keep the user settings current after the unit was powered on again. Your response to al_cassino has answered my question. I'm hoping that my tech will be able to locate the battery because of the information you have provided. Upon visual inspection, he did not see a battery BUT we did not remove the cage and look in there. If you have any more information to share about the inner workings and/or adjustments that could be made, I would be most grateful. After 45 years as a full time (6 days a week) organist at catholic parishes with schools, multiple clergy and nuns, I have recently retired. I purchased the used Ahlborn for my home as I desire to keep any skills and repertoire I have acquired and retained over the years in as good a working order as an aging man's body is able. Also, it was relatively cheap (inexpensive) and has a well thought out stoplist. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge about this particular instrument.

Firstofsix

Comment

Concerning my Ahlborn SL-250: The stereo amp has been reinstalled and the internal speakers came to life and the external speaker outputs work. I played with the system under load (full tutti) for about 30 minutes. After that, examining the amp board I noticed that one of the capacitors was extremely hot and had become domed. I shut the organ down and, on the advice of my sound engineer/tech, waited for several hours for things to cool off and was instructed to play again with the system under full load to see what happens. I waited until the next day. When I powered on the organ, the internal speakers didn't work and the two 3 amp fuses on the amp board were blown. The extension speaker outputs still functioned. So I'm wondering; why did the 3 amp fuses blow? What made them blow? Could this possibly be a power supply issue? Does anyone have any thoughts about this issue? Thanks

Firstofsix

Comment

Hi! I come back again with the problem of the battery of my organ Ahlborn Hymnus 350.
                  I tell you that I contacted Ahlborn and they have asked me to send them the circuit (CPU) to be able to repair it. Obviously this has a cost and a risk, since there is a lot of distance between Argentina and Italy. So, I decided to cheer up and remove the battery myself; so I did it and the work was almost perfect. To make sure that everything went well, I placed the CPU board in its place in the organ and fortunately my "Hymnus 350" works correctly, only that every time it is turned on you have to configure everything from the beginning.
                  Now I ask you: the original battery is model 3N65BC - 3.6V - PD0 300. This data does not include the amps (mAh). Locally I can get a battery like this 3.6V and 80mAh. Can I put that battery? because I understand that the amps determine the ability to keep the information in memory or the time they can keep a device running. I consult this because I am afraid of damaging the circuits of the organ.
                  If someone can answer this question, I will be eternally grateful because I am determined to solve this problem myself. I am already practicing welding to do this job, even I am planning to install the battery away from the circuit in order to avoid any future spill damage.
                  The images show the CPU board with and without the battery.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Innocentti
                    Innocentti commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The 3N65BC is rated at 65mAh, so 80mAh will be fine.

Thanks Innocentti for the data. I was looking for that information on the internet and I could not find it, so thank you very much.

Comment

This is the replacement battery for my Ahlborn Hymnus 350
                    Attached Files

Comment

Some images of my Hymnus 350 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hymnus 350 IMGA0948.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	654232Click image for larger version

Name:	Hymnus 350 IMGA1262_2.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	654233Click image for larger version

Name:	Hymnus 350 IMGA0968.JPG
Views:	517
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	654234

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hymnus 350 IMGA1263_2.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	655834Click image for larger version

Name:	Hymnus 350 IMGA1264_2.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	655835

Comment

The next images show the battery connected to the CPU card and installed on an internal wall of the cabinet, away from the CPU card.

Comment

Dear friends: I have an Ahlborn organ and I have problems with the backup batteries.
                            I have change the batteries and the organ doesn´t work well.
                            Can you help me?
                            I think that the factory must inform about these batteries.
                            I didn´t know about them till last month and my organ is 20 years.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X