This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer: SVS 16-46PC+ vs. Walker Quaker

I took my SVS 16-46PC+ to church to test with the Walker organ, to compare against the Quaker. I thought this could be a useful test for anyone interested in 32' stop production.

The Quaker is a subwoofer designed to produce 32hz and below and is supported by Walker's B101 for higher bass frequencies.

• The SVS sounded extremely similar to the Walker Quaker at the levels used in the church auditorium, all the way down to the low C of the 32' Bourdon.
    • There was not a big difference in frequency response.
    • The Quaker seems to be capable of higher output than the SVS. The SVS (12") was at near max excursion as where the Quaker (15", and stiffer driver) barely seemed to be breaking a sweat.
    • The SVS also had a lot of port noise as where the Quaker had little to none.

The SVS isn't as good as the Quaker for this application but I was very pleased to feel the floor and bench shaking from my SVS on the lower 32' bourdon notes, especially in the auditorium. It surprised me how much better the bass from my SVS is the auditorium vs. my room at home (even at max excursion it doesn't shake things like it did in the auditorium).

Here's a photo for comparison:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	613988

Here are FFT analyses of the four lowest notes of the Contra Bourdon 32':

Name:	F.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	613989

Name:	E.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	613990

Name:	D.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	613991

Name:	C.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	613992
    Viscount C400 3-manual
    8 channels + 2 reverb channels (w/ Lexicon MX200)
    Klipsch RSX-3 speakers and Klipsch Ultra 5.1 subwoofers

I have the next smaller model in our home theatre set-up and it definitely rattles the wife's china in another room. It is speaking into a large space however. As has been mentioned before that's critical for the reproduction of low end wavelengths.

It's good to see your measurements confirming SVSs claim. Thanks.

What's the cost of the Walker compared to the SVS? I suspect that the Walker would pay for multiple SVSs.
    Last edited by Admin; 03-29-2018, 06:12 AM.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I bet your wife feels good about the rattling China :) I had the opportunity to get the 20-39 last autumn and missed out on the opportunity and so I didn’t want to miss this 16-46 even if it looks a little bit more like a water heater.

I don’t know what the Quaker costs since I didn’t see a breakdown of the cost of the Walker organ. Don from the forums here might know what it costs since I think he had been researching it.
      Viscount C400 3-manual
      8 channels + 2 reverb channels (w/ Lexicon MX200)
      Klipsch RSX-3 speakers and Klipsch Ultra 5.1 subwoofers

Comment

Working...
      X