This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawai XR7000 Will not turn on

I bought this organ last Thursday in Bradenton Fl. and moved it to Gainesville Florida. It operated fine in the seller's garage where he had it stored and I used it Friday and Saturday at my house. Sunday morning it would not turn on. There are 4 small lights at the top of the keyboard under the music rake that will operate off a toggle switch under the keyboard shelf. The organ however will not turn on, none of the tabs light - nothing works. 3 or 4 seconds after I push the power button I hear faint clicking coming from the top of the organ. After a few seconds it Stops I'm not technical/electrical. I'm worried I won't be able to find an organ repairman and or parts. Any guidance would be appreciated.

It is possible that the main filter capacitors in the power supply have failed. You will need to find a competent technician to replace these. Suitable replacement capacitors are available and may only need minor modification to fit.

Organs like this that haven't been used for a long time may work for a short time but then the 30 to 40 year old capacitors give up in the power supply. With luck faults won't have spread any further as you say it was all working well. Other faults in the keying and sound generation would not be as easy to fix or may not be fixable at all.

Regards
    Rick
    Rick Whatson
    Brisbane - Queensland - Australia
    http://tcptechnology.com.au/

Comment

Kawais are amongst the most reliable organs out there and the e-caps in them are usually very long-lived (I had two 1987/88 SR6s and the caps were 100% fine in both when examined and checked) but, as Rick said, not being used for some time is not good for any organ. It's also possible that the move has dislodged one of the connectors in the power supply. If it's like the SR series (and it should be) there are a lot of these!

Either way, it will mean removing the power supply and checking. While you or the engineer has got the power supply out of the organ, you/he may as well change the e-caps anyway.

The clicking could be a faulty relay of some sort, and that might be the thing to check first, as it's going to be more easily accessible.

Do be very aware that there can be lethal voltages present in the power supply, even when the organ is turned off. Read the 'sticky' thread on safety (at the top of this section of the forum) very carefully. If in doubt, get a professional in to do the work.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks to both of you for you replies and information. I'm not technical in any way and hesitate to delve in to the wiring. The only organ tech I can locate is based a little over 100 miles from my home. Even if he has multiple clients in the area he charges a trip fee of $175 plus mileage between the customer's homes. Parts and labor are additional. Seems really expensive to me to repair a $400 organ. I went back to craigslist and found a Technics SX-EA5 for $150. I brought it home today and really like the sound. The only problem so far is the LED screen has faded and is hard to read, especially in bright lamp light. I'm not happy about it but I think it might be something I can replace if I can find a technical manual for the organ. it seemed to me that is was getting a great sounding organ with the drawbars and standard organ sounds even if I loose the LED screen and access to many of the other features features

Comment

Working...
        X