This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal Reed Switch Replacements

Does anyone know if the Rodgers Pedal Reed switches will work on other organs--specifically Allen? The link is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Ea-NOS-R...l/263588859373

Thanks in advance.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Harrison Organ Works dot com has the short reeds that fit Allen pedals, tabs, and drawknobs. 10 for $19.95.

td
    Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Hi Michael,

They should work fine. May have to experiment a little to get them to work optimum, as you are dealing with a magnetic field, and also distance from magnet switch.

I found out recently that traditional reeds switches are becoming hard to fine - actually very hard to find. Reason, is new ones are surface mount, and also increased use of hall effect transistors.

Comment

Originally posted by tucsondave View Post
        Harrison Organ Works dot com has the short reeds that fit Allen pedals, tabs, and drawknobs. 10 for $19.95.
        Originally posted by arie v View Post
        They should work fine. May have to experiment a little to get them to work optimum, as you are dealing with a magnetic field, and also distance from magnet switch.
        Thank you both. I learned recently that Allen is going to a one-size-fits-all on its reed switches. It seemed an odd statement to me because I naturally assumed the Pedal switches would be a bit larger than the manual switches, but I guess I'm wrong.

I do know that placement of the reed switches is essential. I accidentally soldered one a bit too high or too low, and the pedal played only when off or on, but not when depressed slightly.:embarrassed: Always learning!

Michael
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

I've bought reed switches on Ebay or Amazon variously, packets of 10 for under $10. And they seem to work for whatever function I've needed. I assume that the type is not really critical, as long as you get some that are very nearly the same length so you won't have issues with the pedals keying too fast or too slow.

When you remove the old one, mark the bottom and top carefully with a Sharpie before unsoldering from the buss rails. Then put the new one back in exactly the same position and you should be good to go.
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
            When you remove the old one, mark the bottom and top carefully with a Sharpie before unsoldering from the buss rails. Then put the new one back in exactly the same position and you should be good to go.
            John,

I should have known you'd have an old serviceman's trick up your sleeve. Thanks!

Michael

Comment

All,

How long are the glass portions of the "official" Allen Pedal reed switches (& manual switches)? Other reed switches listed online are somewhere between 10mm < 14mm. Someone scarfed up all 10 sets of the Rodgers reed switches I linked to.X-(

Michael

Comment

I can't seem to find that info anywhere. You may have to remove the pedal contact rail and look at them. Sorry, I can't even find the ticket where I ordered some a year or two ago from Amazon or Ebay. If I were guessing, I'd say the glass part is close to an inch long, but you need to know for sure.
                John
                ----------
                *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

Could that information be in the Audio section of the ADC Service Manual? Surely, it exists somewhere.

Michael

Comment

Michael,

I just found the record from where I ordered reed switches from Amazon a few months ago. The ones I ordered were 14 mm long (glass body length). I must have thought at the time that this was the right size for Allen drawknobs, tabs, and pedal switches, etc., as those are the only uses I have for reed switches these days.

To be honest, I don't remember measuring one before I ordered. But I do know that I've used some of these 14mm switches since I ordered them (repaired a couple of stop tabs on an ADC model) and that they were the right size for that purpose. Can't say that I've needed one for a pedal switch in years, but I assume they are the same as the tab and knob assembly reed switches.
                    John
                    ----------

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                      The ones I ordered were 14 mm long (glass body length). I must have thought at the time that this was the right size for Allen drawknobs, tabs, and pedal switches, etc., as those are the only uses I have for reed switches these days.

To be honest, I don't remember measuring one before I ordered. But I do know that I've used some of these 14mm switches since I ordered them (repaired a couple of stop tabs on an ADC model) and that they were the right size for that purpose.
                      John,

Thank you for sharing the length you ordered. It sounds right to me, because of the information shared by another, that the reed switches used in all Allen components are all now the same. On the other hand, the shorter active length of the reed switch would allow for more precise leveling (or require it), and less opportunity for extraneous alignment to cause stray notes.

I'll keep you posted on the progress and how the length works out.

Meanwhile, it is not lost on me that this is the 2nd time I've had to replace reed switches in the pedals after a move. The last time I replaced the lowest 3 reed switches, and this time, it's the middle Eb. Until now, I've been transporting the bench unsecured on the pedal side of the platform, but I'm wondering if the bench corners are hitting the reed switch strip, thereby breaking switches. From now on, I guess I have to anchor everything securely during the move.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                      X