X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking pedal

Hello Organ Enthusiasts!

One of my pedals is, well, for lack of a better word, intermittent. Sometimes it speaks, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I'll put my foot on it, press, and it will play right away, sometimes it takes a few seconds, and sometimes it intermittently speaks then goes silent while I have my foot down.

It's a Viscount Jubilate Organ/Wurlitzer A220. Any advice for a Do-it-yourself repair?

Thank you in advance,
    Steve

Steve,

That organ may well have the little coil-spring type contact switches. Pull the pedalboard out and disconnect from the organ. Stand it up or put it on a bench so you can get to things easily. Then remove whatever cover there is over the business end.

Look down inside and you will probably see some little tightly coiled up copper-colored springs that get pressed down when the pedal is pushed. The surface of the spring is supposed to make electrical contact with a buss bar that runs underneath it whenever the pedal is played.

The malfunctioning note may need to have the spring gently cleaned on the bottom where it touches the buss bar, or the buss bar itself may need to be wiped and polished at the point where the spring is supposed to make contact with it. Use a Q-tip moistened with alcohol or possible a drop of WD-40 or other solvent or cleaner. Whatever it takes to remove the dust or corrosion or burn marks from electrical arcing, or whatever you find that is preventing good electrical contact at that point.

Sometimes the apparatus that pulls or pushes the spring downward may need some regulation. So watch what happens when you play the key, and compare it to the keys around it. If it needs more "dip" you may have to improvise a way to make that happen.

These pedalboards are not complicated at all, and sometimes you have to just make up a way of fixing whatever is wrong.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

John,

This sounds like the same symptoms on pedals that used the rubber cup switches and the stupid rubber pushers like on the Italian Rodgers and A-G organs. Cracked rubber plays the pedal if pushed lightly, but then fails if pushed harder. I know nothing about the Viscount pedal system.

td
      Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Could be, but I don't think I've ever seen a Viscount-built organ with those rubber hose switch pushers. I have seen a good many Viscount organs with the coil-spring contacts though, and they can be very cantankerous.

If he has the rubber hose system, that's a sad thing. I haven't found any long-term solution for those.
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
        X