This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers Ribbon Cable Disconnect

Rodgers 702 has numerous ribbon cables. How does one disconnect these?

These connectors are not same ones that used to connect various components in computer cases. They don't simply unplug. I'm thinking that they are insulation displacement connectors. I removed off a clip, tugged gently holding the ribbon in the middle, and gently wiggled the cable, but chickened out. I didn't want to risk doing something I couldn't fix.

Thanks,
    Keith
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

You are wise to be careful pulling connectors. From your photo, these connectors look similar to ones used for flexible flat cables. Generally, there's some sort of locking mechanism that must be lifted and then the cable pulls out easily. Sometimes it's hinged on one end, and sometimes it needs to be pulled up at both ends. I generally use a small screwdriver as a lever or needle-nose pliers and carefully experiment.

Here are two typical mechanisms: https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-fpc-connector

Here's an article with lots of connectors: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Recogni...nnectors/25629

The second one is for modern PCs which have much smaller connectors than your Rodgers. There are thousands of different connectors out there and it's hard to find instructions for a particular one. It's also hard to find the exact name of your connector so you can look up data. So usually you just need to figure out what parts are supposed to move. Looking at various examples is good so you know what mechanisms are out there.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by johnbeetem View Post
      I generally use a small screwdriver as a lever or needle-nose pliers and carefully experiment.
      John,
      When I get another chance, I'll look among all the ribbons to find one that doesn't look important and "carefully experiment" with it. I figure it's really simple once you know how they work.
      Keith

Comment

I seem to recall there being a notice from Rodgers about those, and how to release them. It seems that it was somewhat non-intuitive. You either push down on something, or maybe push in on the sides of the socket. Anyway, once you figure it out, the cable will just pop right out. To insert it, just do the same thing and insert the cable while the prongs are open down in the socket. Note that the wires are rather thin and flimsy, so you have to be sure to keep them straight as they go down into the small holes.
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I hope it's not tacky to answer one's own question, but, perhaps, this might be helpful to someone. I figured out how to remove the ribbon cables, but . . . I gave myself a scare. You press down on one side of the white connector and the ribbons slides right out. It's a little more of a challenge to get it back in. A couple wires were bent out slightly - I think there are more holes in the connector than there are wires in the ribbon. I reconnected it, powered up, and manuals and pedal played with no stops activated - and the crescendo pedal was not on. Pressing tabs made no change. So . . . I pulled out the ribbon, messed with it, reinserted, and same thing. I think I was able to get it reconnected correctly on the 4th attempt. Everything works fine.

So . . . next time I disconnect a ribbon, I'm going to use sufficient lighting, and watch carefully as I pull out the ribbon. I thought I had just generated an expensive house call from the technician.

Cheers,
          Keith

Comment

• Larrytow
            Larrytow commented
            Editing a comment
            No, not tacky at all to post a follow-up with the solution to an issue ! I rather like to know how things work out once someone solves the problem.
        Working...
        X