Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen T-12B played quieter and quieter and then quit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen T-12B played quieter and quieter and then quit.

Our church organ is an Allen T12B (1971?). During rehearsal we noticed the organ was not as loud as usual even with the effect pedal at maximum volume. Over the course of an hour it got quieter and then there was no sound. I have called the organ repair technician, but he is not sure when he will be in our rural area. I am comfortable around electronics (most guitar amplifiers, pedals, etc) and I have the service manuals, but diagnostics are not my strong suit.

Does any have any thoughts on what might be the problem? I am guessing it is not the power supply, as when I turn it on, I can hear it things happening, but no sound.

Thanks.

Could be an amplifier problem. Try turning the volume knob back and forth a few times. Also, pull the RCA plug out of the jack and push back in firmly. There are RCA plugs in other places too, so try doing that to them all.

You can check the power supply with a simple voltmeter. It should output around 14 volts of clean DC, and the voltage should hold up well even when several stops are turned on, engaging a number of the magnets.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

John,

Thank you for the response. Our Allen organ has a foot pedal and not a volume knob. Today when I went back to the church, the organ worked, but not a lot of volume. I cleaned the screw on input connector on the amplifier and cleaned the speaker connectors. This seemed to make a volume difference. I could not find a convenient test point to check the power supply voltage, but that seems to be working, so I am still thinking it is an amplifier problem, but now intermittent. There was not a model number on amplifier, but did state 100 watts (single channel). There is a used S100 amplifier on eBay, but not sure if they are swapable without modifications. I forgot to take a picture of the current amplifier, but it is the original that came with that organ.
      Bob

Comment

The volume knob I'm talking about is on the amp itself. It probably doesn't have a plastic knob attached, it's just a shaft sticking on the side of the amp chassis, very close to where the RCA cables plug into it. If you'll turn that shaft back and forth a few times you may clean it up and restore your volume.
        John
        ----------
        Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
        Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
        Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
        Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
        X