This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johannus Sweelinck 10 - some stops are (almost) silent

I have a Johannus Sweelinck 10, version 9500 technology, with external speaker system. I have access to service manual drawings.

I bought the organ as a repair project, aware of an intermittent error - it could suddenly cling to the speakers, and the sound was silent completely. After switching the power off and on the organ worked properly again. That problem disappeared when I resolded all connection points on the power supply card.

During the troubleshooting, I unplugged and replugged all internal connection plugs between the circuit boards.

Now I have a strange problem: when reverb is set to zero/no reverb, following stops/rockertabs are silent:
    - Stopped Flute 8 ', Octave 4', Conical Flute 2 and Cornet lV in the Great Manual, and
    - Principal 8 ', Koppelflute 4, and Fagotto 16' in the Swell manual.
    When you increase the volume of reverb, you can hear the sound from each one of these stops softly in the background.

When I tested the organ before the purchase, all stops seemed to work properly (however, the organ was set to use reverb, so afterwords I'm not completely sure that the problem has occurred later).
    The illumination works for all rockertabs, but - as said - all stops mentioned above are silent.

Is it possible / likely that I accidentally damaged any wire at any of the contacts - when I unplugged the contacts during the troubleshooting - which may cause this problem?

Is there anyone with experience of Johannus Sweelinck who can give me hints on how to solve this problem?

Best regards Bengt Stedt, Linköping, Sweden
    Last edited by Bengt Stedt; 02-21-2019, 06:31 AM. Reason: Johannus Sweelinck 10

It sounds like the organ is producing the sound for all channels. Usually, the reverb takes a mix of all of the audio channels generates a reverb signal and mixes that back into each of the channels. So each audio channels has the full volume audio for the stops associated with that channel plus the reverb of all of the channels. You might have a loose speaker connection (to the audio channels that are soft). There could also be an issue with the amplifier (the affected channels are turned down, damaged, or have a fuse blown or a breaker flipped). Trace the audio from the mixer to the speakers and/or speakers back to the computer. Check that all wires are good. Check that all plugs are snug and clean. If you have multiple amplifiers (or several channels in one amplifier), try switching the input cables to see if the dead/soft stops change. That might indicate that something is going on with the amplifier.
    Last edited by samibe; 02-21-2019, 10:55 AM.
    Sam
    Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Thank you for your answer - I'll check your ideal as soon as possible (the organ is in My church).
      By the way - there is no difference if I play though internal speakers, externa speakers or headphones.

Best regards Bengt

Comment

Hi Sambie.
        You were absolutely right in your ideas about what was the problem with my organ!
        I started with a quick swap of the fuses between the five power amplifiers, and then noticed that the problem moved to other stops. Then it was very easy to localize the blown fuse, so after replacing it my organ is working properly.

I am so grateful to you for your excellent advices, that made my trobleshooting so easy and sucessful. I'm so glad that my organ now is prepared to serve in our church for years to come.

Whish you all the best and God's rich blessings.

/ Bengt

Comment

Working...
        X