X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help wiring speakers for Rodgers 115 Deseret

Good morning all,

Recently acquired this Rodgers 115 for free. Previous owner said it plays fine except the flute stops don't work, I verified this is true, but after I got it home and started troubleshooting I'm convinced it's simply wired up wrong and everything probably works fine. Depending on which wire(s) I have hooked up to the amp, I can get the flutes to work just fine, although other stops will quit working. It appears to have several channels and certain stops are on their own channel?

Link below with some photos of what I'm dealing with. The wires are all just twisted together and held with electrical tape. The right channel on the Dynaco ST-80 amp appears to be blown, I get nothing when I have only the right channel hooked up, both speakers are definitely good (they're just some cheap bookshelf speakers). So at this point it's basically just a one-channel amp, which I think is most of the problem.

Is this even the right type of amp? The connections coming out of the organ look like they are supposed to have some sort of special cable plugged into them, but instead it's just wires shoved into the holes, I'm not sure if any of this is right or missing and I'm having a hard time finding resources online for how the speakers are supposed to be wired.

Any help you can offer is appreciated!
    Post with 1 views.
    Last edited by Mortimer452; 03-04-2019, 10:36 AM.

That is a Dynaco Stereo 80 power amp--it isn't normally what you would use with the Rodgers, but if in good working condition it can suffice for 2 channels. Two channels is the minimum for that organ, but it can have up to 4 channels.

About the 5-pin connectors that look like the wires are just shoved into it: the connections are solder-pin connections (similar to the center pin of an RCA Phono plug). If you carefully pry out the connector you'll probably find the wires are soldered--or just give a gentle tug on one of the wires and if it doesn't come out, it is soldered in.

The 5-wires in the connector have two wires for audio (signal and shield) and two wires for a DC voltage to drive a relay in the Rodgers amps that are normally used with these organs. The Dynaco amp won't have that relay (unless they were modified, which I can't tell from the pictures). The relay serves to turn on the amp when the organ is turned on. That may have been provided for by some other way, but this is the way Rodgers designed the system. The 5th pin isn't used.

The wiring on this setup looks like a real mess, and I suggest getting rid of it, and starting over with the wiring. Then you'll know what is going on. It looks like the current setup uses 3 of the channel outputs (flute, pedal, and diapason or mixed) since there are wires to 3 of the connectors but there would need to be a 3rd amplifier channel beyond the Dynaco amp.

I think I might have a 115 service manual but need to look for it.

To use it in 2-channel mode you'll need to make sure that the mixing switches are set properly--that's why I want to look at the manual before advising on the setup.

Comment

I could not find a copy of the 115 tech manual, but have the one for the 110--similar, slightly smaller model. It also provides for up to 4 output channels. In order to use it with just 2 channels (2 speakers), you need to use the Diapason and the Flute channel; on the preamp board there are 2 slide switches--both need to be in ht "mixed" position if just using 2 channels. Mixed is the "on" position for the switches if they are marked on/off.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
        I could not find a copy of the 115 tech manual, but have the one for the 110--similar, slightly smaller model. It also provides for up to 4 output channels. In order to use it with just 2 channels (2 speakers), you need to use the Diapason and the Flute channel; on the preamp board there are 2 slide switches--both need to be in ht "mixed" position if just using 2 channels. Mixed is the "on" position for the switches if they are marked on/off.
        Thanks so much for the information. I found the two switches you mentioned, one was off and the other was on, I switched them both on. I have a newish (maybe early 2000s) mini HiFi 2-channel amp with RCA inputs in a box here somewhere, I think it should work alright once I get the wiring straightened out. Hooking up each of the two channels separately to my current 1-channel amp, I do get sound from all stops, swell, great and pedals, so I think we're good once I get a proper amp hooked up.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

That Dynaco amp will probably work quite well as long as it's in good condition--though they were kits and some builders did a better job than others, it is a good design.

Comment

That Dynaco amp will probably work quite well as long as it's in good condition--though they were kits and some builders did a better job than others, it is a good design.
            Yeah, I'm sure it would, problem is the right channel is definitely blown so it's basically just a single-channel amp right now. I may spend a bit troubleshooting it, could just be a bad capacitor or something

Comment

Where are you located--I have some Rodgers amps that you could have to run the organ if you can pick them up.

Comment

Where are you located--I have some Rodgers amps that you could have to run the organ if you can pick them up.
                I'm in Kansas, thanks for the offer though!

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm in Kansas, thanks for the offer though!
                  Just a short drive! Granted, it was for an organ, but last August I drove from Phoenix to New England in under a week. Might be cheaper than buying one or getting one repaired?

Michael
              Working...
              X