Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ORLA R510 Started up for about 5 seconds then stopped working

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ORLA R510 Started up for about 5 seconds then stopped working

    ORLA R510 Started up for about 5 seconds then stopped working, the fuse has been checked and is working but the power plug gave me a shock after it was unplugged for a few seconds so I think it could have something to do with either the plug or the power supply. When it turned on the lights turned on and the speakers had very slight feedback noise, as soon as I tried to play a key the whole thing stopped working and wouldn't turn back on again. Any help or suggestions would be great!
    Attached Files

  • #2
    How many fuses did you check? I might see 2 more near the big capacitors. Maybe just a static shock got you? If the shock occurred within a second of unplugging, it could be possible you got shocked from the transformer's magnetic field discharging, especially if a short in the system put a heavy load on the transformer causing the core to hold a stronger magnetic field.

    Capacitors can fail with a short or open circuit. Maybe there was a defective one, and your pressing of a key put too much demand on the weak spot triggering a failure that either cut all power, or consumed all power.
    Allen 530A

    Comment


    • #3
      I've found 4 fuses in there, none of them have blown so I don't think they're the issue. The plug gave me a shock about 15-20 seconds after unplugging it so not sure if there's something faulty with the plug and main power wire that's making the power not go to the organs circuits or if something was damaged when it was moved. I think the previous owner had only turned the power on and checked the lights to see if it was working so it's likely the keys hadn't been played in years so I don't know if that's a likely issue?
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        And you checked the fuse hidden right above where the power cord goes in to the organ in the transformer area? Looks like a screw driver is needed to take the fuse out.

        I'd have to guess you got a strong static shock from the usual causes: dry air, layered clothing (coat, pants) along with carpet. I just don't know of a way for it to otherwise shock you more than 1 second after unplugging. Static sparks can start the flow of electricity in the unlikely case it allowed reverse flow from the capacitors to the transformer.

        Did the organ start 60Hz humming loudly when it quit working? That could point to a faulty capacitor causing either the mute relay to buzz or the speakers to buzz. I recently got a 100W powered 6" subwoofer from goodwill for $1, it buzzed very loudly, and all I had to do was swap out one of the big caps with a compatible one I happened to have.
        Allen 530A

        Comment

        Working...
        X