Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lira 90R Intelligente - advice needed!

Hi, I am a new member, and hope you can help me. I have had the above organ for nearly thirty years, and up until now it has been brilliant and I have had many happy hours playing. The problem is, apart from one or two sticky keys, that now when I play there is so much vibrato that it is virtually unplayable. I have tried reducing the vibrato, turning off vibrato, reverb etc but I still have this awful tremor, worse when playing slower tunes. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Do you think there is any way I can get it sorted, considering its age, and potential difficulty in getting parts? I hope I am making sense. This organ means a lot to me, as my late dad used to play it too, so I don't want to give up until I know I have exhausted everything. Thank you in advance. Sorry for the long ramble.

Hi Lyn, welcome to the forum.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Lira 90R is a small, single keyboard type organ. If not, post a photo so we know what you've got. Whatever it is, it's rather older than 30 years, I think. I can remember Lira organs being imported into the UK for a few years in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

So, it's getting tired, and Italian organs of that era were often not made with the best quality components, so it's lasted well! If you have a tremor on everything, even with vibrato turned off, then something is wrong with the master oscillator or is affecting it. I'd start by thinking about the power supply. If that's not working properly it can have all sorts of effects. There's usually nothing in an old power supply that can't be fixed. If it's the master oscillator that's wobbling, then you may find that there are no parts available.

Question. Do you know anything about electronics or have any electronics skills, like soldering? Most repairs on oldies like these are done by the owners. Three reasons: 1) there are very few organ engineers left in the UK. 2) many of them won't now work on most older organs, as they may not have any schematics, and there's no guarantee that repairs would be possible anyaway 3) if you can find a willing engineer and if any required parts are available, then the guys have to make a living, as well as travel to you, and so repair costs would be way higher than the value of the organ.

That value is realistically zero, but that's market value. Sentimental value to you is another matter entirely. Only you can decide how much you want to spend out. If this organ is the only one you want, then a fix may be expensive. If you simply want to carry on having more happy hours playing, the used market in the UK is full of unwanted, very inexpensive (or free) organs.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Andy, thank you so much for taking the time to reply, and in so much detail, too! In answer to your question, I know nothing about soldering, and I don't know anyone who does! It sounds to me as if my organ has come to the end of its working life. I don't have the money for expensive repairs, and I appreciate people have to make a living. I am not in the best of health,vans my son has had cancer, so we have very little money. I think the best thing to do is give it a decent funeral. Here is a photo of the offending instrument.

Comment

Thanks for the photo Lyn. They obviously used the name twice - or, equally possible, the Lira brand name was used more than once for different products. (Easy back in the late 70s and early 80s. You walked into an Italian organ factory, told them you wanted to order a container load of organs, and they'd would put any name on them for you). I knew the man who imported Lira into the Uk back then, and that's just the sort of thing he could, and probably would, have done!

So this is an early 1980s organ and sadly, I'm thinking that professional repairs would be prohibitably expensive. Probably time to think fondly on the enjoyment it has given you and your family and let it go. I do hope that you'll still want to play the organ and look out for one of the free or very low cost bargains that are out there.
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Hi Andy, I don't know if you have noticed yet, but I have left the Vintage Organ group. It was very rude of me not to explain why. I have been doing a lot of thinking, and I have let my heart rule my head, as anyone who knows me will tell you, I often do. I am on income support, my son can't work due to serious illness, I have no money and no way of saving at the moment. Having another organ would be my dream, but that is all it will ever be unless things change. I am sorry I asked you so many daft questions and wasted your time. I just forgot myself for a moment, and now I feel incredibly foolish. I think I wanted it too much. I hope you can forgive a daft old woman with ideas above her station and her bank balance 😢

Comment

• samibe
              samibe commented
              Editing a comment
              Generally, on the forum, we're happy to help. No need to apologise for asking for help. Sorry life has been so crappy lately.

There is a very good chance that if you keep looking for an organ, you may be able to get a decent working one for free.
          Working...
          X