Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying a fuse in a GEM Jumbo?

I recently repaired the vibrato on an old GEM Jumbo that I bought last year by replacing three small capacitors in the vibrato circuit. It worked perfectly for a couple of days, then the whole thing stopped working and I discovered that the fuse on the power board had blown (see photo).

I thought it was about time I tried some DIY re-capping after years of combo organ tinkering, so today I replaced all the big caps on the power board and the one on a separate board just below - you can see most of the new ones in the photo.

I replaced the fuse too, but when I switched it back on the fuse blew again straight away. I checked all the cap connections were solid and tried yet another fuse - ZAP.

I had to guess which fuses to buy - the original only had a barely discernable and cryptic “11/250B” printed on one end, and the schematic I have doesn't seem to show it at all. I went for “Cartridge Fuses 250 V 0.25A 5x20mm Fast Acting” from Mouser (576-0217.250MXP) and the slo-blo version of the same.

Did I get the fuse rating completely wrong? Or is there something else wrong that's going to blow whatever fuse I put in there?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Here's the schematic in case anyone can spot a clue...
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Looks like 0.5A to me, probably fast-blow. If the fuse isn't it, I'd look at:
      1. Make absolutely certain you didn't get the polarity wrong on the caps. A backwards cap can look like a short.
      2. I'd then check the diodes right after the transformer. When those short, they will blow the fuse instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by NoTalent View Post
        Looks like 0.5A to me, probably fast-blow. If the fuse isn't it, I'd look at:
        1. Make absolutely certain you didn't get the polarity wrong on the caps. A backwards cap can look like a short.
        2. I'd then check the diodes right after the transformer. When those short, they will blow the fuse instantly.
        Thanks! I'll triple check the capacitors, try a 0.5A fuse and check the diodes. Watch this space...

Comment

Working...
        X