Lots of needless tech hand-wringing on Allen Organ Owners Group on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of needless tech hand-wringing on Allen Organ Owners Group on Facebook

I'm putting this post in this forum because it involves repair and restoration issues.

As mentioned before, I am not on Facebook by choice but since it is a public group I do periodically stop by to look at the Allen Organ Owners Group on FB. All too often I see someone post a technical question that gets a lot of useless responses and hand-wringing. That's a shame because the questions are often ones that have already been answered on the Organ Forum or would cause an instant and helpful response if the question were posted on here.

Two recent inquiries met with little useful help in that group are about adding a Nanoverb to a MOS-1 organ and a schematic for a T-50 amp and a question about the device (expression capacitor) on top of the chassis.

Occasionally I will see someone mention the Organ Forum as a possible resource but all too often the OP seems to fade away frustrated and disappointed with no helpful answers. I don't know if there is any way to promote the Organ Forum on that group since I don't see the equivalent of a "sticky" but if any of you are members of that group you might periodically check to see if you can suggest the Forum as a source of technical answers.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand name.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

I abandoned any membership in FB, in great part because of political reasons--it seems to foster the tribal mentality that has infused our political discussions to no one's benefit, and that approach to thinking seems to rub off on almost every type of discussion. In this respect, I am grateful that this forum is moderated.

Comment

Originally posted by AllenAnalog View Post
      I'm putting this post in this forum because it involves repair and restoration issues.

As mentioned before, I am not on Facebook by choice but since it is a public group I do periodically stop by to look at the Allen Organ Owners Group on FB. All too often I see someone post a technical question that gets a lot of useless responses and hand-wringing. That's a shame because the questions are often ones that have already been answered on the Organ Forum or would cause an instant and helpful response if the question were posted on here.

Occasionally I will see someone mention the Organ Forum as a possible resource but all too often the OP seems to fade away frustrated and disappointed with no helpful answers. I don't know if there is any way to promote the Organ Forum on that group since I don't see the equivalent of a "sticky" but if any of you are members of that group you might periodically check to see if you can suggest the Forum as a source of technical answers.
      Amen, Amen, AMEN !!!! Facebook is so disORGANIZED in format for any decent discussions of any subject. I cannot fathom why all the good forums of the past think that FB is good / better.

Unfortunately for some things one wants to find out about, one almost Has to use FB. I do sometimes, but I HATE it. Not because of the stupid people really ( you see that in normal forums too ), but because it is so had to find stuff relating to a particular issue. An endless scrolling page, with no dates on the postings, makes no sense at all. And then you cant just read an entire topics worth of postings without having to click on More Reply's all the time.

In my other fields of interest ( tow trucks, snowplows, and parts thereof ), it seems that all the buying and selling has moved to FB marketplace rather than the usual channels . Places like CL and the towing forums. But why ?! It is not better by any stretch; just newer I suppose.

A simple search here would have answered the Nanoverb question easily. I know I have written extensively on how I do it.

Thank you Larry, for posting a topic that has been bugging me for quite some time now.

Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Facebook is great for connecting with friends, political memes, and pictures of food and pets. It's terrible as a searchable source of information. Unfortunately, its popularity and the resulting convenience of accessing a wide variety of disparate topics on one site has negatively impacted the forum platforms and websites that were previously the primary sources of information. This isn't helped by the fact that anyone, with no knowledge and little effort, can spin up a Facebook group further diluting the knowledge base.

I've been weaning myself off of Facebook participation over the past several months due to FB's ethically challenged privacy policies and have limited my activities to interaction with friends, entirely avoiding participation in FB Groups.

Social inertia and herd instinct being what it is, I don't foresee a diminishing of FB's influence and dilution of knowledge. The best thing to do to help the those misguided souls that turn to FB for enlightenment is to not engage in the conversation but post links to specific answers on more authoritative forums and websites, rather than just mentioning their existence.
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I see those posts on FB but have decided to ignore them most of the time. I just don't have time to contribute to another forum, especially since that one seems to have so many folks posting erroneous information. I could spend all day just refuting this and that bit of baloney that crops up over there. Now and then I'll feel charitable and post a quick answer. But these days I'm mostly just telling people to get on the REAL Organ Forum to post their queries and get reliable help.
          John
          ----------
          Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
          Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
          Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
          Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Amen , John!
            Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

I also have no time for FB. If those with the Allen questions were to use halfway intelligent searches via Google, then they would likely end up here.
              -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
              Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
              Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

• Leisesturm
                Leisesturm commented
                Editing a comment
                And John, I'm just saying ... a Big part of that is you! Not taking anything away from Toodles and Michael (myorgan) et al, but you da man when it comes to sorting out thorny Allen issues that bedevil owners outside of the dealer networks for whatever reason ...

• myorgan
                myorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen! John is the organ god!

Michael

• jbird604
                jbird604 commented
                Editing a comment
                Y'all are very kind. But if I have become a knowledge base, it is only because I have learned so much from the old-timers and great service personnel at Allen and Rodgers, as well as the amazing folks who parceled out service advice on Baldwin, Conn, Wurlitzer, and other brands in the old days.

OK, I just want to scream when I read some of the recent posts asking for tech help on the Allen Facebook page. People who know nothing just froth at the keyboard with speculation. The guy who just got a Theatre Deluxe was asking about a 21-pin Jones connector labeled "Type 2."

That connector goes to a Type 2 traps generator chassis (which then also requires an amp and speakers). Looking at his photos, he may already have one of these chassis up inside one of the speaker cabinets. I just happen to have two spares of that model generator which I acquired while buying other Allen speakers. I wanted to help but will not join Facebook just to do a good deed. Someone, please tell this dude to join the Organ Forum!!!

Oh well, at least he has an Allen tech scheduled to visit next week so that should answer his question.

Here's a pic of my Type 7 traps generator, which has an identical control connector. It lives in its own speaker cabinet. (Interestingly, the bass drum actually has its own 15" JBL speaker with a heavier magnet and high compliance surround compared to the more mundane dual 12" pedal channel speakers that are in the same enclosure. It makes a very satisfying whump.)
              Last edited by AllenAnalog; 11-08-2019, 10:36 PM.

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
              Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
              Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Comment

Many thanks to Stephen Jones for posting a reference to my information on the Allen Owners Facebook page. Let's hope the guy with the new Theater Deluxe joins the Forum where he can get more help getting his instrument running.

Comment

• Organkeys Jones
                  Organkeys Jones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad to be of service! I really enjoy this forum.

I don't see many doing this, but you can use your Facebook account to sign into the Organ Forum. If you elect to do this, whenever you're signed into Facebook, you're also signed into the Organ Forum which makes it very easy to switch between the two.

I point this out because a common excuse for using Facebook Groups is that it is more convenient to simply sign in on a single site rather than having to sign in on multiple ones and remember all those credentials.
                Last edited by Admin; 11-10-2019, 06:44 AM.
                -Admin

Allen 965
                Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
                X