Potential M3 Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential M3 Damage

Hello all. First time poster, but I’ve read and taken a lot of good info advice from this forum in the past.

Here’s my question/dilemma. I went to pick up an M3 yesterday. Everything seemed to work and it sounded great when I checked it out. Before moving, I dutifully locked down the tone generator. I should add here that this organ was in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road, so it was a bit of a bumpy ride getting it home. When I got it home, I was horrified to see that the bolts securing the TG had somehow worked there way loose and were rolling around on the bottom of the cabinet. When I turned it on, the TG makes a squeal. I know this is usually a sign of dry bearings, but under the circumstances, I’m afraid the TG got jostled too roughly and has more serious damage.

So, worst case scenario, what kind of damage should I be looking for if a good oiling doesn’t stop the squeal? The organ wasn’t tipped or inverted, but it did bounce around some in the trip.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Many people don't even realise that you can lock down the generator and haul them under worse conditions without much trouble. I'd do the naphtha flush and oil treatment and then see what needs to be seen.

Comment

Don't feel bad, I firmly locked down the generator of a M3 and hauled it 200 miles over Oklahoma 2-lane roads. When I got to my shop three of the four bolts were simply gone, one was was laying in the bottom and the shield can over the pedal drawbar capacitor was also gone. I doubt you seriously hurt anything, but the flopping of the generator can cause some of the wires to break where they attach to the top of the generator. These will cause missing tones, but are not hard to find and fix. My shield can was replaced with a Contadina Tomato Paste can 8) Like KC9UDX says, lubrication is your first task.
      Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. I’m still kicking myself for letting the bolts come out, but I don’t think I killed it like I did yesterday. I tried it again tonight, and it definitely sounds better than yesterday. I suspect the temperature change probably didn’t help it any. I’ve got Hammond oil on the way, so I’ll give it a good oiling, and follow up after that.

Comment

Just a quick update. After a naphtha flush and oiling, the squealing is gone and TG is much quieter. I still have a few issues to work out, but it seems to be on the right track now. Thanks again.

Comment

That is great news!
            Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Working...
            X