This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting off built in speakers using headphone plug

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times; font-size: 16px; "><div style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); padding-top: 8px; padding-right: 8px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 8px; ">I've been cutting off the audio output from the built in speakers on my organ by plugging a 1/4 to 1/8 inch headphone adapter into the headphone port. This is just the adapter plug (sans headphones) and allows me to hear the audio from my 4 external speakers only. I was wondering if this could potentially damage something in the amp? Should I be plugging in an old set of headphones, instead? It's unfortunate that organ builders do not provide a cut off switch for the internal speakers. Thanks.</div></span>

Re: Cutting off built in speakers using headphone plug

I personally wouldn't do this, as it's running the signal into open circuit - not usually a good idea. I usually just use an old set of headphones for this situation. You'll be lucky if you can hear their low level output over that of your external speakers.</P>

As for an off/off speaker switch, some organs do, but most don't. Firstly, it's not something that many people want, and it costs them money to put it in. Secondly, more than one owner has switched the darned thing off and then called in the tech to find out why the organ has no output! That costs someone, usually an embarrassed owner, money.</P>

In your case, I guess you haven't just paralleled the externals to the internal speakers (in which you could have easily installed your own main/echo switch) and have taken the line outputs and fed them to external amplification. If you have done the former, have you made sure that your impedances match? I wonder what instrument we're talking about that needs 4 external speakers?</P>

Andy</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Well, headphones don't provide much of a load anyway. You probablly won't damage anything but you could always put a dummy load resistor(s) in place of the headphones. Just put resistors in a plug and use that to plug into the headphone jack. Probably use 33 ohm 1/2 watt to simulate the headphones.

Comment

Greetings Andy,</p>

I'm using a Rodgers 530 (1990's digital organ) and have simply taken the two 1/4" outputs from the back of the organ and run them over to my home stereo that has two sets of large speakers that I made, along with a 250W powered subbass. They're Altec Lansing 604's in 10 cu ft cabinets and I've can select A and/or B sets of speakers. I have yet another set of these large speakers in a connecting room (on a separate stereo system) and I'm thinking of setting them up as antiphonals but have not figured out how to connect all of them in a convenient way. </p>

Some people collect organs, my addiction is Altec Lansing speakers...... and maybe now organs, too. Oh well, it is a lot of fun, eh?</p>

Thanks for your comments, Andy.</p>

John </p>

</p>

Comment

Thanks, Fred, for your suggestion. I was getting concerned that I could blow up something. Best regards, John.

Comment

Working...
          X