Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONN pedal board ‘out of tune’

Hi
    Newbie here. Hoping for some guidance on a DIY repair. We have a two manual CONN with a 15 pedal footboard. It’s out of tune. The guy repaired it and a week later it was out again. the repair guy said it is the electronics and he couldn’t fix it. is there some way to save this beast?
    thanks,
    Annette

Annette,

Welcome to the Forum. I don't know the exact answer to your question, but can tell you what will help.

Could you please look (probably under the keyboards) for the Model number of the organ? If you put your head under the keyboards where the legs go, you should find a builder's plate there with the model number. If it's not there, then look on the back of the organ where the electrical cord goes into the organ. Unfortunately, on Conn organs, the plates are bronze on brown, so sometimes they are difficult to read.

Providing that information will help techs know exactly which advice to give you, and be able to provide details. Oh, and if you can provide an audio recording, that might help to know the nature of the out-of-tuneness.

Hope that helps.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

If you don't see a plate under the keyboards, look in the back of the organ The plate on mine is in the middle, up top just below the lid, and can be seen through the organ's back.

Question - 15 pedals?? Spinets have 13, home consoles have 25, AGO consoles have 32. Include the sharps in the count.
      Next question - What's out of tune? How many and how far out? Details are important for our answers to be useful and accurate.

Finally, welcome to the forum. There's a number of active Conn owners who can help once we get a better idea of your problem.
      Ed Kennedy
      Current Organ - Conn 645 Theater

Comment

Take a photo and upload it with your reply. We can ID it from there.

15 pedals? You've only counted the white ones by the sound of things. If we add on 10 black pedals, we get 25, which is the standard number for all but the largest Conn console models.

The electronics in most Conn organs (which are pretty old by now) is fairly simple, but you need an organ service guy/gal who is competent to work on 'oldies'. Many more modern guys are used to swapping circuit boards, rather than tracing a fault to component level. Out of tune Conn pedals have been discussed here before - a forum search might bring up some results that could help the service person.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

This is a video of the pedalboard. The rest is explanatory. Any help or advice on fixing the pedals is appreciated
          Attached Files

Comment

I hear two issues here, and, if I am correct, easily fixable. The first issue is tarnished or dirty switch contacts. This is causing the note to slide onto its pitch. The bad news; in order to fix that, you need to remove the pedal chassis from the bottom of the organ. The second issue is the actual tuning of the pedal notes, which will not be stable until the switch contacts are cleaned.
            Here I have a question for you. How much of this work do you want to do yourself? Once the assembly is out of the organ, cleaning all the switch contacts is time consuming, but not difficult. Tuning is easy with 25 controls at the back of the organ.
            Next, if you are planning to keep and fix this organ, I advise buying a service manual for it. Even if it looks like greek to you, someone who knows electronics, but not your organ, can use it to keep it running. MikesManuals.com has both the 628 type 3 and the type 4 supplement available.
            Ed Kennedy

Comment

• Annette2boyz
              Annette2boyz commented
              Editing a comment
              HI Ed, We are going to try to clean the contacts on the pedal board referenced above. What kind of solvent should we use? Is there anything else we need to know about doing this? TYIA Annette

Ed's 645 is from a different era of Conn organs, being tube generated. Your 628 is later. I have a feeling that the technology may be different. It's been a very long time since I looked at a Conn service manual so I may be wrong!

What I'd like to see in a video is the pedals simply played slowly, one at a time from bottom to top. Then played slowly low C to 'middle' C, low D to higher D and so on. And then let's hear the low C with an 8' stop, compared to the lowest C on the upper, again with an 8' stop. If the 628 has the 'Chorus' tuning, make sure that it's off. That will let us hear how far off things are. Later Conn consoles split the pedals into two sections of 13 and 12 notes, so there may be only a couple of master tuning controls to adjust rather than all 25. In any case you'd need to adjust the masters first.
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Andy, I know her organ is all transistor, but the sliding notes suggests that it still has the totally analog pedal section with the chain of switches and variable resistors. I could, however be wrong. You have corrected me before, and I always appreciate it when others jump in with more accurate information.
              Anybody, Anyone with a 628 manual - please look up ,and if possible post the pedal switch section. Thanks.
              Annette, Pictures of the inside of the organ will help us determine if my assumptions are correct.
              Ed Kennedy

Comment

I have never had to remove the pedal generator to clean the contacts.
                The best way to test the keying is to remove the pedals and press the actuators by hand. If all is good, then the brackets at the ends of the pedals need to be adjusted to prevent them from applying any pressure to the actuators. Also the pedal tension must be adjusted so the pedals return to full up position.
                If the organ was moved on a dolly where the organ rested on the pedal generator then it is likely the chassis is bent which requires the brackets at the end of the pedals be adjusted.
                Also Conn pedals do not like being played legato as is being done early in the video.

td

Comment

• Annette2boyz
                  Annette2boyz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Dave,
                  We want to clean the contacts in this CONN 648 and to replace the felts on the pedals. Can you recommend which solvents to use and what kind of felts and where to buy them? It looks like moleskin
                  TYIA
                  Annette

• tucsondave
                  tucsondave commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Use Deoxit D5 spray from Caig Labs sparingly on the contacts. If you're referring to the felt on the pedal actuators try a fabric or craft store. The self sticking felt used on the bottom of lamp and vases would work, possibly from a hardware store.
                  td

• Annette2boyz
                  Annette2boyz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  See my problem below. Can you explain how to adjust th brackets at the end of the pedals?

Here's the 628 pedal schematic.

Comment

And the back of the organ.

Comment

Thanks, Dave. It's nice that the newer organs are easier to work on than mine.
                    Ed Kennedy

Comment

Okay, CONN 648
                      so cleaned contacts, put new felts on the pedals, tuned it and it still does this. https://youtu.be/nWavShHGyks
                      any ideas?

Comment

• myorgan
                        myorgan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It almost sounds to me like there is some sort of articulation to the tone (some are tuned to the pitch), but no sustained tone. Is there a pizzicato setting somewhere for the pedals? Perhaps String Bass?

I'm just shooting in the dark, but it may help.

Michael

It sounds like the neoprene tubing that should be on the pedal support pins is missing. Remove the pedalboard and check the pins the pedalboard rests on at the inside ends of the cabinet.
                      The other possibility is the organ was moved on a dolly with its weight on the center of the pedal generator thus bending the switch assembly upwards. If this is the case then the actuator tabs at the ends of the pedal sticks will have to be adjusted upward starting with the last pedal in each octave that plays correctly.

td

Comment

• Annette2boyz
                        Annette2boyz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Okay so the metal plate beneath the pedal activators is bent up by about 1/2” at one end. Do I bend the tabs on the pedals UP? How much will I need to bend them up?

Is there a piece of black rubber tubing on the metal pegs that the pedal board rests on? Those must be there.

DO NOT bend the pedal activators on the pedal generator. On the ends of the pedals there is a metal tab with felt on it. That is what should be bent to adjust the pedals.
                      Going up the scale the last pedal that plays the correct note is the one to adjust. Bend the tab at the end of the pedal up slightly.

td

Comment

Working...
                      X