This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicks/Viscount CM-100

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to check out a CM-100. I am wondering how well they sound, and if connected to an organ and being controlled by the organ can all of the stops loaded in it be accessed or just the 12 on the front rocker tabs?</P>

Thanks</P>

Chris</P>

Re: Wicks/Viscount CM-100

Hi,</p>

I am quite familiar with this unit. I like it very much. The sound is somewhat different than typical sampled units. What it does do better than most sampled units is play reed stops in chords. There is less phase cancellation in this unit, so chords sound quite rich. This is one area that they worked extensively on. Another positive aspect of this unit is the audio output routing. It has 6 outputs, is very flexible and configureable.

I believe the MIDI works on the tabs, not on the stored sounds of which there are about 180. </p>

My guess is that the unit plugged into an organ, will not sound to it's potential.</p>

I installed one of these units to augment a pipe organ, used all 6 outputs, and the results were excellent. It was certainly worth the price.</p>

</p>

AV

</p>

Comment

Thanks for the information, I don;t think that it will work for what I needed it for, I have 2 ahlborns now but would like to move to something newer and better as they technology there has not changed in a long time. Plus changing stops is virtually immpossible. If you can have only the 12 stops playable at a time I would need 6 units to get the stop list I want. They would mostly be used on the swell, and choir as primary voices.The great/pedal has 4 ranks of pipes and would use one or two to augment that.

Comment

[quote user="chrisemtpa"]Thanks for the information, I don;t think that it will work for what I needed it for, I have 2 ahlborns now but would like to move to something newer and better as they technology there has not changed in a long time. Plus changing stops is virtually immpossible. If you can have only the 12 stops playable at a time I would need 6 units to get the stop list I want. They would mostly be used on the swell, and choir as primary voices.The great/pedal has 4 ranks of pipes and would use one or two to augment that.[/quote]</P>

You can access all of the sounds inside, just only 12 at a time. Your idea brings up a question I've had since I heard of the CM-100. Why doesn't Viscount make an entire organ using this physical modeling technology? If it is so great, and I have no reason to think it isn't, why not market an organ with all the stops using that technology? Or even a hybrid, where 12 of the stops are the CM-100 sound engine?</P>

Wicks is selling the unit in the U.S. You can use it with a pipe organ or in conjunction with their digital models. Why doesn't Viscount utilize the technology more extensively?</P>

Comment

Hello Chris</P>

I have found the CM100 a wonderful box with jolly good sounds, but with the one difficulty you mention.</P>

While it is possible to change the 12 sounds loaded on to the rockers, this cannot really be done in performance. It takes me up to 10 minutes to change all 12. Not to mention the changing of the name tabs, which are not provided.</P>

It seems to me that some method of storingdifferent groups of the 12 sounds would be appropriate - like the existing handling of presets, and I have raised this suggestion wuth Jeremy Meager. Perhaps there could be a little device attachable to the box?</P>

I do hope Viscount can come up with some solution, because it is quite the best box I've come across, otherwise.</P>

Best wishes.</P>

Ron Kinns</P>

Comment

Does anyone know if it is possible to use one of these on anything other than a Viscount or Wicks? Or is it only compatible with those organs?

Comment

Why doesn't Viscount make an entire organ using this physical modeling
              technology? If it is so great, and I have no reason to think it isn't,
              why not market an organ with all the stops using that technology? Or
              even a hybrid, where 12 of the stops are the CM-100 sound engine?
              </p>

</p>

I think that is what Viscount is doing with it's newest range of organs (probably an updated version of the physical modelling technology) which is soon to be released..
              </p>

Comment

[quote user="Choirmaster"]

Why doesn't Viscount make an entire organ using this physical modeling
                technology? If it is so great, and I have no reason to think it isn't,
                why not market an organ with all the stops using that technology? Or
                even a hybrid, where 12 of the stops are the CM-100 sound engine?
                </p>

I think that is what Viscount is doing with it's newest range of organs (probably an updated version of the physical modelling technology) which is soon to be released..
                </p>

[/quote]</p>

Choirmaster is correct, it was launched at the Musikmesse Frankfurt music show a couple of months back and will be amde available some time this year.</p>

The new Viscount system is called "Physis".</p>

Added</p>

Just to add that the new Viscount Physis organs will run on Linux.
                </p>
                1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
                Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Wicks told me you can use them on any digital organ with midi.
                  Jesse Hargus
                  Portland, OR

Comment

Hi,</p>

Did Wicks say how "well" it works with any digital organ with MIDI? It is not always easy to integrate seamlessly an expander to any and all digital organs.</p>

One other thing, the Wicks Royal Classic organs have a CM-100 built-in, and it generates some of the reed stops.</p>

The Wicks/Viscount CM-100 is I think the finest organ expander available today (at least in North America).</p>

AV</p>

Comment

Viscount Physis

[quote user="nullogik"] [

Choirmaster is correct, it was launched at the Musikmesse Frankfurt music show a couple of months back and will be amde available some time this year.</P>

The new Viscount system is called "Physis".</P>

Added</P>

Just to add that the new Viscount Physis organs will run on Linux.
                      </P>

[/quote]</P>

Thanks for the info. I did a search on Viscount Physis and saw that they expect to have the organ line out in 2009. Since they have had the Accupipe technology for some time, I wonder why it is taking so long to get the Physis line to market. If it is realistic, it could prove an interesting challenge to other sample player organ companies.</P>

Comment

Re: Viscount Physis

Yeh, the physis is coming in a few months, I think it's taking some time to get out in order to make it bulletproof against any issue. They are meeting higher and higher standards with the time passing, and they won't sell a product that is half working or bugged. Plus I know they're making libraries of preset (or we should say "crafting pipes" as they're not sample, but physical modeling) with organists from different traditions, english, french, german, etc...</p>

I guess other companies won't be able to do the same unless they don't start investing for the next years.
                        </p>

Comment

Working...
                        X