Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-homing an instrument

Hello!

I am the director of music ministries at a church in the early stages of a building project. I am try one last time to steer my committee away from a digital instrument, but I'm having a hard time determining the cost to re-home and instrument. I frequently see attractive possibilities in the 40-60 rank range.

What does that look like?

I once helped a church acquire a used pipe organ. There are a number of builders who specialize in doing this. They should be able to give you an estimate. P.M. me if you would like to know the builder that I worked with.

One additional thing, when the organ was being installed, people in the community stop by the church saying, "We heard you are getting a pipe organ." As good as electronic organs have become, they don't generate that kind of excitement. The best to you. Let us know how it turns out.

Bill
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

Originally posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy View Post
      Hello!

I am the director of music ministries at a church in the early stages of a building project. I am try one last time to steer my committee away from a digital instrument, but I'm having a hard time determining the cost to re-home and instrument. I frequently see attractive possibilities in the 40-60 rank range.

What does that look like?
      I have re-located several pipe organs in my business. The cost is going to depend on several factors (over and above the purchase price of the instrument in question). If the organ needs to be releathered, that adds to the cost, if the physical layout of the organ needs to be changed to accomodate the new home, that adds to the cost, if the organ's new owner wishes to add "enhancements" (such as solid-state relay or new combination action) that adds to the cost. Since you are in new construction, the plans could most likely be modified to accomodate the organ. The difficulty of installation (i.e., the need to have heavy parts rigged up to a balcony) also need to be factored in. There is no easy way to say it will "cost this much" when the unknowns are so many. Find a reputable pipe organ builder or well established service firm to work with you. They can guide you as to the possible costs. Truthfully, the digital organs that you might be happy with (and there aren't many that most pipe organ builders would recommend) are going to cost as much as a re-homed pipe organ of similar specifications.

Rick in VA

Comment

Working...
      X