How to tune closed pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tune closed pipes

I know that you tune Reed pipes by moving the tuning wire up and down and that you tune stoped and open pipes by moving the tuning slide and stopper up and down respectively or by bending the tuning shade on top (depending on the pipe). How are permanently closed pipes tuned?

A permanently closed pipe is a stopped pipe, so they are tuned with either a sliding capped sleeve or stopper up and down. There has to be a mouth on the pipe otherwise you could not excite resonance.

Comment

Some pipes, like quintadenas (you choose the spelling) can be tuned at the mouth by opening or closing the ears. Ask your organ tech to teach you some simple tuning techniques, especially if you have a stop that is troublesome.
      Regards
      Pat

Comment

Originally posted by johnroper100 View Post
        I know that you tune Reed pipes by moving the tuning wire up and down and that you tune stoped and open pipes by moving the tuning slide and stopper up and down respectively or by bending the tuning shade on top (depending on the pipe). How are permanently closed pipes tuned?
        Pipes that have been soldered on the top (such as metal Gedeckt ranks in a tracker organ) are usually tuned by CAREFULLY bending the ears in or out...You should NOT do this unless you have been taught to do so by the company that maintains the pipe organ. The ears can snap off if the pipes are not handled carefully, so it is best to leave this to a professional.

Rick n VA

Comment

Ok, thanks, this was just the answer I was looking for. Don't worry, I won't be attempting to tune any organs, I was just curious as to how it would be done.

Comment

Working...
          X