This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulating/Tuning a Resultant 32

The bottomoctave of our Untersatz 32 consists of the Pedal Bourdon 16stop and an independent set of 12wooden stopped flutesat10-2/3. (Then at tenor C it shifts back to just the Bourdon 16 playing an octave lower.)</P>

Some notes of the bottom octave sound just like a real Bourdon 32 and others sound more like a 16 playing with a 10-2/3. This is random and not more characteristic of the lower notes nor the higher notes. I suspect it has more to do with the way the room is reacting to the notes than the actual pipework itself. I also suspect that it may have something to do with the regulation (i.e., soundvolume) of the individual 10-2/3 pipes rather than them being out of tune with the 16.</P>

I am looking for advice/suggestions on how to make this stop sound more authentic throughout those first 12 notes. When the organ was originally installed we did not have the chancel console, only the loft console. Perhaps if this stop were to be regulated with one person sitting at the chancel console (about 100 feet from the pedal chamber) and the other person at the 10-2/3 pipes attempting to regulate them, we might be able to get better results (pun partially intended) in that manner. The two people would need to be connected via cellphone.</P>

Or, is there a way to do this by listening near the 10-2/3 pipes as one regulates them?</P>

Just to make this even more complicated, different listeners throughout the church may actually be hearing different effects from the bottom octave of this stop. Oh what a tangled web we weave . . . !!</P>

This might be a good one for you, Mr. Odell.</P>

Thank you all very much!</P>

[:S]</P>

Comment

Re: Regulating/Tuning a Resultant 32

Also, I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with it, but it might...</p>

In the equal temperament, the interval of a 5th isn't a perfect fifth. Luckily for you, the pipes that speak at 10-2/3' are a different set of pipes. Perhaps if you tuned the pipes speaking at 10-2/3' to play perfect fifths (rather than just a fifth in the equal temperament), the resultant will be more effective?</p>

Sorry I can't be of more help.</p>

Comment

consistently effective than a loud one; this is especially true in a smaller room. Try toresist the temptation to make it into a 32' Bombarde. [] </LI>
        <LI>The room needs to be large enough in order for the resultant wave to cycle. For CCCC I think it works out to something like 53' or 56' (I don't recall exactly); otherwise you are more likely to hear two discrete pitches.</LI>[/list]

At those low pitches you will have a bit of latitude in the tuning (it doesn't have to be spot-on). You will do most of your adjustments at the gate (at the foot of the pipe). I suggest youstart withthe smallest amount of wind in order to get the pipe to speak up to pitch. Sometimes it helps to turn the Quint pipe so the mouth is facing backwards, as long as the mouth is not obstructed.</P>

As was mentioned, you will have to voice according to one spot in the room. Beyond that 'sweet spot', there is not much you can do unless you are willing to do some acoustical work to the room.</P>

Comment

Wow! Thank you all for the great responses; much appreciated!!</P>

The first thing I am going to check is the strength of the 10-2/3 relative to the 16. I was not aware that the 10-2/3 is supposed to be softer than the 16. This means that organs that borrow the 10-2/3 from the same rank as the 16 are making more of a compromise than one would likely want. Very interesting!</P>

I have enough confidence in the original installer (now retired) that he had this stop well regulated in the beginning. I have not checked the wind gates on this particular set (10-2/3), but if they are the same pegs that are used on the other stopped flute basses throughout the organ, then they will tend to slip from changes in temperature and humidity causing the pipes to get louder and sometimes get out of tune and fly off speech. A little strip of blue painter's tape wrapped around the peg has been a successful fix thus far.</P>

Thanks again!!</P>

[Y]</P>

The churchis roughly 120' by 50' by the way.</P>

Comment

[quote user="KleinErzahler"]A simple code on another note (preferably higher) is sufficient for communication during regulating, 2 taps for louder, 1 for softer.[/quote]</P>

Hey, that's what I do! [] For "Morse code" purposes you want to pick a stop that is easy to hear, like a 4' flute played in the mid-treble.</P>

2 taps means "more", 1 tap means "less", and nothing means "do nothing, it's perfect"! []</P>

It's nearly impossible to properlyregulate an organ without two people. Ideally, you should have three: one in the chamber, one at the console, and one at the 'sweet spot' in the middle of the room.</P>

Comment

Last evening (Sunday), with the assistance of our music director's meticulous organ student, I regulated the 10-2/3. The air conditioning had been running all day, which was a plus. Turns out only one pipe was mis-speaking, it was the "F"; and we will politely bypass the possible puns here.</P>

The stopper was loose! The original installer had waxed the stopper and this had helped for a while. Apparently he did not have any suitable paper, feltor fine leather handy. I cleaned off the wax and wrapped a few layers of some nice, white paper tape around the edge of the stopper. I then inserted the stopper at a diagonal (to prevent rubbing off the tape) to the appropriate location and straightened it out. Aftera little fine tuning, theformer windiness of the pipe was corrected and the resultant effect was restored.</P>

So far, so good.</P>

Thanks again to all of you for your contributions to my request for advice!</P>

[Y]</P>

Comment

Working...
              X