Organ construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organ construction

Im planning on building a pipe organ soon. I was thinking of using treadles instead of a motor to supply wind to the pipes. Is this a viable option? I have no experience with making organs, so any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Subway,

You do realize April Fools Day was several days ago? I'm not saying it's not a good goal to build a pipe organ (there's always a first time), but you are certainly setting your sights high.

Assuming your request is serious, I would certainly dissuade you from using treadles unless it's an extremely small one- or two-rank pipe organ. Properly constructed reservoirs are the way to go.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• Subway
      Subway commented
      Editing a comment
      I plan to have about 3-5 ranks. Could you give me a rundown on how the reservoirs function?

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Try downloading the PDF and reading George Ashdown Audsley's The Art of Organ Building, Volume II. They part you're interested in reading should begin on page 124. It discusses the windchest, and probably the reservoir as well.

Let us know how it turns out.

Michael

P.S. Oh, crud! I forgot to provide the link: https://archive.org/details/gri_33125010939367/page/n1

• Ben Madison
      Ben Madison commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Audsley, I had volume one but i had to loose it why are compannies holding back vol 1 behind a paywall and letting volume two out in public domain.

I'd think an electric powered bellows instead of a fan would be similarly easy, and an option worth considering.
    Allen 530A

Comment

Working...
    X