This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower Enclosure added onto a house

What are some of the do's and DON'T's of a blower enclosure added onto a house?

I'm going to have such a huge winding requirement for all the additions to the 822 organ in my house that I THINK I really have no option other than to put on a 5 feet deep by 6 feet wide utility room addition to the back of my house to house a very large blower.

I'm thinking:

1. Concrete floor a must no?

2. Concrete block wall between the blower and the house for insulating the noise of the blower from the house somewhat?

3. Thoughts on how to heat/cool the unit so the air temperature is the same as the organ for tuning reasons?

I have a plan on winding from inside the house using smaller blowers but the 10" wind requirement of the Tibia & Vox have thrown that out the window unfortunately!!!!! So I am thinking why not go ahead and just put it outside the house to help reduce the noise of the blower (s) but was wanting to hear from some folks here who have experience in such matters?

Re: Blower Enclosure added onto a house

Simply putting the blower in an isolated enclosure will probably not isolate the blower noise. You almost certainly will need to have a sound-reducing baffle (in the wind-line itself) between the blower and the outlet that actually enters the house. This is because you need to not only isolate the external mechanical sounds of the blower running, but you also need to reduce/eliminate the internal sounds of the blower running from entering through the winding system.</P>

The best temperature control would be to have the blower simply breath in air from the main house. But then this requires another baffle--an intake baffle--to prevent blower-room noise from entering the house through the breathing duct.</P>

I am really not fully qualified to explain this in more technical terms. I hope that other Forum members will take the torch from me and run with it now to help you further.</P>

Good luck!</P>

Comment

My blower is in a small insulated room attached to the house. It is placed at the opposite end of the house from the organ room to reduce the noise through distance. The blower room is insulated with one wall common to the house. There is a large opening from a heated bathroom into the blower room. The bathroom has a grille in the door to allow for free air access from the house. The wind line runs through the attic with insulation on the outside. The floor is concrete to prevent vibration from being transmitted into the house. The blower uses the original horse hair pads under the feet to isolate it from the floor. All this works well.</p>

Now to the problems. The air line from the ceiling to the regulators on the floor in the chamber conducts some of the blower mechanical noise into the chamber. Insulating this air line helped but did not eliminate the noise. However, since the organ is a Wurlitzer (whose pipe work is somewhat assertive), when playing one does not hear the wind noise. The other issue is that the blower heats up the air. When playing for a long time 4 or 5 hours, such as an organ party, the air in the chamber heats up and the flues go out of tune with respect to the reeds. My normal use, playing for 1 to 2 hours is not a problem.</p>

My best recommendation, place the blower as far away from the listening space as possible, make the air come from the heated/air conditioned house, and have the blower room share a house wall. Taking the make up air from the house is absolutely necessary otherwise the tuning will never be stable. I made that mistake in the first installation. For example, if the noise gets into a bedroom that only you use, then it is not a problem.
      </p>

Comment

John, that sounds like a fantastic idea![:P]</p>

If you'd like to stay on the safe side and make sure you have enough wind, may I suggest this blower? It will give you 400" WP[&lt;:o)]</p>

</p>

</p>

http://www.flsales.com/buy/detail.cfm?inventoryid=10130</p>

Comment

Where is that blower from?

Comment

frenchy: I don't think that blower would really be large enough all my additions......nice try though ;)

My plans are to wind the additions on the 822 organ using the blower I use on the 822 now and sticking the original 822 blower back on the 822. I think the blower I have will wind a few of the stops on the 412 at a time but I know it won't handle it at full organ and probably not enough wind at all for my theatre ranks, but I'll have to figure out something on those later.

So...I will be on the lookout for a big 5 HP Spencer on at least 10 inches, over time but I'm not in a hurry for it. Really depends on if I can get everything winded at least temporarily in the closets below the swell chamber. If I can figure that out and the noise issue is not too bad I may just leave it at that and call it a day. Tricky part will be finding a blower at 10" to do my 2 theatre ranks...that is no more than 24" wide......I don't think there is such a thing?

Comment

Morning,<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>     A static regulator would help to isolate the blower noise through the windline to the orgue as well.</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>     As for 10" in a small space, you could always put a blower in a box and charge the box with wind from another blower to combine the pressure.  What are the respective outputs of your current blowers?</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>     - Nate </div>

Comment

I've got two blowers presently: a 5" wind 1/2 horse Spencer that winds the 822 nicely. I'm putting it back on the 822.

And a Zephyr 3/4 horse @ 7 1/2 inches wind.

updated wind layout at:

http://www.reuter822.com/reuter822layout412.html

I am considering doubling up the 8" pipe along that crawlspace on the sides to create more of a "sound trap" for the exposed 822 chest.....that would give wind 9 turns and about 60 feet of line to travel thru so that hopefully most of the blower noise from the old Spencer blower would be dissapated. I'm much more concerned about reducing blower noise and wind noise than I am about placing the blowers. I have room in the closets below for I think another 2 3/4 horse blowers so actually doing the outside addition is hopefully going to be avoided.

Please tell me more about this combining of pressures? interesting idea!

Comment

With regard to combining blowers, I have it on very good authority by someone who may still lurk this forum, that combining blowers in parallel increases the volume with the same pressure, and combining blowers in serial increases the pressure at the same volume.<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>    So, if you put your zephyr blower in a wind-tight box, and charged the box with 5" of wind from one of the spencers, the output of the Zephyr would be the sum of the two pressures, which in this case is 12 1/2".  I don't know how precise all of this is in practice, but I suspect you'd have no trouble getting 10" out of what you already have this way.  Obviously keeping the Zephyr cool and happy would be another consideration.</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>    Best,</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>          Nathan</div>

Comment

wow! that is interesting!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X