This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DC Power Supply

Indeed. And glitch rhymes with bitch; which is closer to what it actually is. LOL!</P>

[st]</P>

Comment

These comments are making me happy that still uses the old relay and combination action without electronics. The 12 volt power is supplied by a simple transformer-rectifier without regulation and output filtering. </p>

The only electronics consists of added isolation diodes used with extra stop switches. Since the combination action is pneumatics actuated by magnet valves, a single 5 amp fuse is used in the 12 volt circuit as the current requirements are very low.
      </p>
      Allan

My home organ
      Style D Wurlitzer pipe organ
      http://bluemoonwalkinghorses.com/Sty...tion5_rev3.htm
      Five Newfoundland dogs
      Sixteen Tennessee walking horseshoes

Comment

I can certainly appreciate your side of the story, Allan!</P>

At home I have a simple Peterson diode-matrix relay and their relatively simple Duo-Set combination action. Thus far (several years now), these systems are bullet-proof.</P>

The Peterson Orgaplex (multiplexer) at church has been bullet-proof also. It is only the MSP-1000 in the consoles that have had issues, mostly in the chancel console. The MSP-1000 is actually a very useful programmable system, MSP stands for Master Stop Processor. I really like it, as long as it is working.</P>

I have not yet communicated with Peterson today. But I am hoping to discover that it is the solid-state power supply that is at fault rather than the actual Peterson MSP-1000.</P>

The drama continues to unfold . . .</P>

Comment

Well, the nice thing is that once it fails solidly and the organ is unusable,it will be a lot easier to diagnose and actually find the problem, as it will be repeatable and a competent technician can take meter readings andswap parts until it starts working again..</P>

In the mean time, power supply could be way out of tolerance, and the rest of the logic is just unhappy with it, so it doesn't quite know how to come up when first turned on. A microprocessor usually goes through some initialization when power is applied, and the circuit that tells it this could have a problem, or the actual crystal oscillator that feeds the microprocessor could be intermittent, so the entire unit can't initialize properly. I realize this is rather technical, but electronic stuff often is.</P>

Says something for motor-driven DC generators, leather bellows, and wooden trackers, doesn't it?!?!?! I think the words are "Simple Elegance" (isn't that a trademark of some company?).</P>

Bob M.</P>

Comment

Thank you, Bob!</P>

Peterson wants to very kindly send me a new MSP-1000 mother board and a few other spare parts. I am grateful for their professional courtesy and unfailing customer support. I did tell them that I am still not 100% convinced that the mother board is the problem and that it may be some other bizarre phenomenon. I will share your comments with them. Bob.</P>

Thanks again!</P>

Comment

Attention Jay et al:</P>
              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><FONT size=3><SPAN style="COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Here is some new and different information from the organist who first encountered this problem on Monday night, September 22nd. She said that the organ started up just fine and she moved the MSP-1000 memory level from 5 to 34. It stays on 5 most of the time because that is our music director's default setting. But that while she was practicing with the memory level at 34, it spontaneously moved back to 5 several times. At first she thought that she was just too tired, etc. But after about the third time, she decided that it was spontaneously jumping from34back to 5. And this was notwhen she was pushing pistons, etc., but while she was playing.</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></SPAN></FONT></P>
              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></SPAN></P>
              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><FONT size=3><SPAN style="COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Then, later, it finally freaked out andthe crescendo and tutti lights came on and she got a momentary blast from the organ; but no stopkeys moved, it was only crescendo and tutti. And then it settled back down by itself. That is when she called me and I told her to turn the organ off.</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></SPAN></FONT></P>
              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></SPAN></P>
              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><FONT size=3><SPAN style="COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">After she turned it off and back on again five minutes later, it remained okay for the rest of that night.</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o></o></SPAN></FONT></P>
              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><FONT size=3><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I am wondering if this points more toward the "power card" rather than the mother board?</SPAN></FONT></P>
              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><FONT size=3><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT></P>
              <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; LINE-HEIGHT: 14.4pt"><FONT size=3><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">[]</SPAN></FONT></P>

Comment

So sorry to hear your tales of woe. []</P>

I'll stick to SSL ... so far, so good (knock on wood).</P>

Comment

Peterson just left me a telephone message. We may have a breakthrough based upon some additional information from our organ student who first encountered this problem. It may be a power supply or power regulation issue. After I talk with Peterson, I will either edit this message or post a new one with the latest news.</P>

I have heard a few woeful tales regarding SSL units also. Computers! SIGH!!</P>

Comment

Peterson is graciously sending me several new boards. We think that the problem may be in the Control Board, which routes power to the rest of the MSP-1000 system. Replacing this is much simpler than replacing the mother board. Meanwhile, the organ is now behaving fine and if it continues to do so, once we replace the board(s) and it continues to behave fine, we still do not know for sure if we really fixed anything or not. Oh well . . .</P>

I still do not want to go back to mechanical systems.</P>

Life goes on . . .</P>

Comment

Working...
                    X