This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wurlitzer Second Touch

I am converting a Hammond D-152 to a virtual Wurlizer 216 theater organ. I'm looking for the key pressure required for the first touch and the key pressure required for the second touch.</P>

Thanks.</P>

Re: Wurlitzer Second Touch

I've never seen a specification for second touch pressure. What I HAVE done on three different Wurlitzers; adjust the second touch to be twice as heavy as the "feel" of the first touch. If that's too much, then back it off somewhat.</P>

Second touch is a very personal thing among organists. Some like it to be very stiff, while others like it lighter.</P>

Comment

Second touch? I need to listen up as I've got a set of wood-core Rodgers keyboards that look like they could be modified for second touch. I'm also interested in any leads on affordable springs for this project. I need to try and locate a good drawing of a second touchkeyboard as well. Any ideas? All input welcome. Would I be better off to try and locate an old second touch keyboard? I was quite surprised resently when I got a look at a real Wurlitzer for the first time. I'd expected a tiny bit of extra key dip, but it looked like a full 3/8" or so to the springs and another good 1/4" or so after the springs kicked in. Wish I had a sample key sitting here in front of me. A photo would be great.</P>
      http://www.kinkennon.com

Comment

John, I'll try to help you with what I know.</P>

2nd Touch springs: Google over to Arndt Organ Supply. Bob Arndt deals in theatre organ replica parts. If there is a difference between different designs, (seems like I remember a couple of different manufacturers differences), talk with Bob over the phone. He's very knowledgeable. The Arndt catalogue comes up on your computer, and it's quite a lot of information. (If there were ever any specs about pressure, Bob would know. He can also clearly define exactly what you need to do with the depth of the keys and springs.)</P>

Here's what I would do if I were going to invent 2nd touch on an existing single touch key frame:</P>

2nd Touch dips into a seperate set of contacts on the contact block. Set the depth of the contacts so the buss bar engages pretty close to the bottom of the second touch. Reason is...you will still push a little into second touch, even though you are meaning to just push into first touch. Setting the contact depth this low will allow for you to just barely play into the second touch without actually bringing it on by accident. (Second touch should onlyrespond to very deliberate playing into that lower position.)</P>

Rather than planing the board thinner on the back side of the key frame, you can plane down the bottom side of therear of the keys. This will allow you to plane a little off at a time and test it for correct depth. Correct depth? A good gauge for this would be....the front key guide pins should just be up inside the felted holes to a point where the guide pins will not come out of the holes and let the keys travel sideways. Probably something on the order of 3/16" depth of the pin would be a good standard.</P>

This will allow plenty of travel for the key so you get a good distinction of travel for the first touch, and also second touch.</P>

Perhaps one more source to consult before you begin...Rodgers built 2nd touch into some of their more elaborate theatre organs. They may have used a longer front key guide pin for 2nd touch applications. You might consider giving them a call and discussing your plans with them too. I'm sure they probably just planed down the backs of their keys to get extra "throw" at the front of their keys. Consider talking with them over the phone to be sure.</P>

Best wishes.</P>

Comment

Thanks! This all sounds just right.I'll try phoning Bob this week. There's plenty of key travel as is. There was a double layer of felt under the key fronts -- almost like you could lay down one strip for second touch applications and two for a normal keyboard. So I've got the side-to-side stability in hand. If I get springs located correctly I'm sure I can work out a solution for the contacts.</P>

My other project will be to get a velocity sensitive solo keyboard. I'm wanting to add some more midi voices like brass/strings where I can do the delayed vibratosas a change of pace from the fast theater trems.</P>
          http://www.kinkennon.com

Comment

Fully agreed! I had a dear friend (he has recently died) that had an Allen Theatre Organ out of the 60s vintage. He hooked up MIDI to it and had all sorts of extra instruments playing from it....piano, vibes, several various brass instruments like tuba, trumpet, coronet, saxophone, and he used to get on that organ and have a blast with it. One of his favorites was the slide guitar, and he played it like it was the real instrument, instead of a keyboard.</P>

Even though I am personally (for myself) a purist for theatre organ stops, I saw what a marvelous time he had with that instrument, and I would encourage you to go after those many other voices you can get with a MIDI hooked up to your instrument. It's there for your own enjoyment, so do go after those extras!</P>

Comment

Working...
            X