This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodgers Trio Ranks

I am curious if the Rodgers Trio was based on a particular size Theater organ. Like 9 or 10 ranks. I searched some forums but have not found the answer.

Thanks,
    Greg

The general "rule of thumb" is to count the 8' stops on the Great manual. On the Trio, that is the middle manual. Let us know what you find.

. . . Jan
    the OrganGrinder
    (Rodgers Organ Co. veteran)

Comment

My guess is that the Trio was not designed around a specific Theatre Pipe Organ style/model. It is lacking a concert flute, and the Vox (varies by specific model) isn't available in all manual divisions.

Early Trios did not have the Post Horn, and the Vox was just on the Accomp. Also, the VdO and Salicional were present on the Accomp--it would be unusual for a small TPO to have 2 different strings (string and celeste, yes, but not usually 2 different strings).

Later Trios added the Post Horn, and the Vox was available on the Great and Solo (if I remember right).

So, in my opinion, the Trio was designed as an electronic organ on its own, with voicing based on what could be done with the resources at hand, not to copy a particular style.

The only TRUE unit organ, I know of, in the Rodgers line-up was the 340.

Toodles!

Comment

Sorry, Toodles, but I must disagree with one of your generalizations. I started visiting, playing and photographing theatre pipe organs in the Midwest about 1954 and found very few with Post Horns. In fact, in northern Indiana there was only one, the four-manual Embassy Page (nee Emboyd) with that extremely loud reed stop. We amateur organists were given strict orders to not use the Post Horn before 11 a.m., to avoid heart seizures among the adjacent hotel guests!

Incidentally, those who might be interested in seeing some of my TPO photo collection will find it at the Yahoo! Group known as Theatre Pipe Organs Exclusively.

. . . Jan
        the OrganGrinder

Comment

I did take a count of the 8' stops on the great and there are 6. I do notice that there are stops on the accomp manual that are not present on the great. I have only actually played a tpo once, but don't most tpo use the ranks on all the manuals.
          Thanks
          Greg

Comment

Greg, I think you need to take into consideration when that organ was designed (1963-1978) and the price point at which it was sold. At that time it would have cost an arm and a leg to unify the reeds, strings and diapason, in addition to the Tibias: the cost of the technology wouldn't have allowed it. Trios were sold in competition with Allen Theatre DeLuxe (1962), Baldwin Cinema II (1972-73) and HT2 (1964-69), Conn 3-man. theatre (1968-1978) and the Thomas Palace III (1966-1969). That was a pretty tough market!

Trio was a great little organ for its time and price, IMO.

. . . Jan
            the OrganGrinder

Comment

If you want to hear a Rogers Trio being put through its paces by Bill Irwin then go to this site and either listen to the streamimg audio or download the recordings.

http://recordoobscura.blogspot.com.a...-at-organ.html

You can see the 'About the Organ' information on the bottom right hand corner of the back of the album cover.

The music on this album is played note for note by Bill Irwin from his arrangements in his Pop Concert Series of music books (Volume 1 and Volume 2).

These books occasionally appear on ebay (and so do his other books - which are very good for learning modern and theatre organ techniques)
              My MIDI controlled, module and software driven virtual 'organ' thread is here: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post427320

Comment

I have long had great respect for Mr. Irwin, but to me, this recording sounds like he was trying to "Hammondize" that Rodgers (Momboc, please note the spelling of the brand).

. . . Jan
                the OrganGrinder
                (Rodgers Organ Co. veteran at Hillsboro)

Comment

Spelling noted - my bad.

I note from the record cover that the Rodgers Trio played by Bill Irwin also had a Leslie speaker attached. This may be what created the "Hammondizing" effect.

I like the recording.
                  My MIDI controlled, module and software driven virtual 'organ' thread is here: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post427320

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Girardot View Post
                    Sorry, Toodles, but I must disagree with one of your generalizations. . . . Jan
                    the OrganGrinder...
                    Jan,

Not sure why you disagree with my generalization: the only generalization I made was about strings (usually only a unison & celeste on small pipe organs), not post horns, and all my other comments were related to the Trio, not TPOs.....???!

Toodles.

Comment

Sorry, Toodles, but that goes back 3 months, past my "short-term memory" limits. Seemed like a valid comment at the time: sorry if I offended you.

All the best,

. . . Jan
                      the OrganGrinder

Comment

I agree with you about the recordings ,Jan. There was alot of "pop" music electronic sounds in this particular recording. I've heard better representations of the organs "theater" qualities on You Tube. Almost every brand organ was being promoted in the early 70's for all the knowledge that had been gained from the synthesizer and I'm certainly not faulting Mr. Irwin's masterful playing but my listening preference is to hear the organ played as closely to the original pipe sound as an instruments specification permits.

Comment

I have a few recordings made on Conn by one of their UK artistes in the 70's. Same thing on many tracks - twin rotor leslie with no 'general tremolo' (AKA vibrato) giving the almost over-used tibias that distinctly 'electronic organ' sound. OK, I had a Leslie 251 and a Leslie 700 on my recordings to give the tibias a little 'jiggle' - almost like two ranks of tibs - but I put the tremolo on and used the reeds and strings as well to make it more theatrical. And the playing style on some of those tracks is very much non-theatre. Almost as if they were trying to distance themselves from the organ's origins. Curious!

I'd echo what O4me just said. Bill's a great player and I've had the pleasure of working alongside him at some UK organ festivals, but I like my Conns to do what they were meant to do. Perhaps he was 'requested' to play things a certain way? People have asked me to do that in the past and I've always managed to say 'no', but there was some pressure!
                          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
                          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
                          Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

No offense, Jan. Just curious as to what you were thinking.

Comment

Working...
                            X