GrandOrgue sample sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GrandOrgue sample sets?

I have been pondering the idea of setting up my organ to use something like Hauptwerk or GrandOrgue or the Artisan Sound Engine. Grandorgue sounds really great since it's free And I'd rather run Linux than Windows (I'd actually prefer to use a Mac but that'd defeat the intent of finding the most inexpensive solution).

However, I'm having a bit of trouble finding good information about sample sets. Are the ones listed on the sourceforge website all there is in existence? Some of the links are broken. I listened to some recordings on youtube and the ones I heard sounded very good and would be a welcome improvement over my organ's built-in sound, but I'd be interested in a sample set with 40-50 stops, ideally with a 32' Contra Bourdon and preferably with a 32' Bombarde as well (although a 16' pedal reed would certainly suffice).

Any input would be appreciated!
    Viscount C400 3-manual
    8 channels + 2 reverb channels (w/ Lexicon MX200)
    Klipsch RSX-3 speakers and Klipsch Ultra 5.1 subwoofers

Thanks steverose! The Burea Church sounds like it would definitely work. I did see it actually and saw the reference to the extended version but didn't find any details about it or how to download it:

http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/download
    Viscount C400 3-manual

Comment

The sampelset list is a WIKI - therefore editable by everyone. Could you please provide a list of the broken links?

Comment

rjsilva: the link you provided is to download the sample set. You can find the app on sourceforge.

I run GO on Linux Mint 17.3 and I have had no driver or hardware issues at all. I use jack because I use a reverb program called zita-rev1.

I only have a general purpose computer, so I don't autoload GO, but GO can be configured to run the last organ loaded on startup, and I'm sure a simple script or some other linux mechanism can invoke GO on startup.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by rjsilva View Post
          How likely is it that I'd run into compatibility issues with hardware (midi and audio interfaces on Linux)? Also, can GrandOrgue be setup to autolaunch and load a sample and be ready to play without user interaction?
          Sane class compilant USB-MIDI interfaces (not requiring any firmware loading) work out of the box. Firewire interfaces are "complicated". Any onbord audio usually works without any issues - same for class compilant USB audio interfaces. For "Expensive" extra soundcard, you should check their linux support. If you interessted in Linux, try GOLive. It boots to the last used organ by default.

Comment

Thanks to all for the info!

So it looks like GOLive is basically a complete operating system install. Is it basically Linux optimised/simplified to run GrandOrgue? How long does it take to boot? The webpage I saw talks about using GOLive to demo GrandOrgue, but I'm assuming you can install that directly on the internal drive of the computer?

I guess I didn't read the details on the Burea Church sample set because it says the extended version is included in the download, and there is a page which shows screenshots of all of the versions. The Cracov st. John Cantius also looks and sounds good, though lean on pedal stops.

I noticed there is a GrandOrgue forum so maybe I'll peruse through there, but I was thinking about getting this MIDI interface:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
            Viscount C400 3-manual

Comment

I came across this organ for GrandOrgue:

https://youtu.be/XE029vW_Sd0

And when I listened on headphones I thought it was the prettiest organ I've ever heard (especially at around 3:10). Really beautiful. It makes me want to downsize to two manuals!

I'm assuming GrandOrgue sample sets tend to be 'wet' which isn't ideal for my taste, but an organ like that must be perfect for the space.
              Viscount C400 3-manual

Comment

Why do you need a MIDI interface? Why do you want that particular interface? Is your console already 'merging' the various manuals, pistons, stops, etc. into a single data stream? If yes, then this is indeed what you need, but if you want to use the audio system of your console then you are also going to need a DAC to send audio back from your PC to your console for amplification.

Comment

I came across this organ for GrandOrgue:

https://youtu.be/XE029vW_Sd0

And when I listened on headphones I thought it was the prettiest organ I've ever heard (especially at around 3:10). Really beautiful. It makes me want to downsize to two manuals!

I'm assuming GrandOrgue sample sets tend to be 'wet' which isn't ideal for my taste, but an organ like that must be perfect for the space.
                  Quite a few sample sets, including the one in the video, are available in both Hauptwerk and Grand Orgue versions. Not too surprising since I believe GrandOrgue and Hauptwerk sprang from the same roots.

A good resource for auditioning sample sets is Contrebombarde.com http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/front
                  -Admin

Allen 965
                  Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                  Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                  Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

GrandOrgue allows you to trim the release to 50ms, which is what I do for all the sample sets. I then add reverb using the zita-rev1 app.

The Dluga Koscielna is indeed a beautiful instrument, but for me, there was too much reverb in the tail. I now play it using the added (less) reverb and to me it sounds great.

Comment

I just finished installing new Artisan SE into an old Allen 505B console. Here's the new stoplist:

Pedal:
                      Contre Violone 32
                      Contrabass 32
                      Diapason 16
                      Violone 16
                      Bourdon 16
                      Lieblich Gedeckt 16
                      Octave 8
                      Gedackt Flote 8
                      Choral Bass 4
                      Flute Oeverte 4
                      Mixtur II
                      Bombarde 32
                      Posaune 16
                      Bombarde 16
                      Trompette 8
                      Schalmei 4
                      Great > Pedal 8
                      Swell > Pedal 8

Swell:
                      Flute Conique 16
                      Salizional 8
                      Voix Celeste 8
                      Genshorn 8
                      Gedackt 8
                      Spitz Prinzipal 4
                      Koppel Flote 4
                      Gamba 4
                      Nazat 2-2/3
                      Blockflote 2
                      Terz 1-3/5
                      Sifflote 1
                      Mixture III
                      Contra Fagotto 16
                      Hautbois 8
                      Trompette 8
                      Clarion 4
                      Trem

Great:
                      Quintaton 16
                      Erzhahler 16
                      Pronzipal 8
                      Dulciana 8
                      Voix Celeste 8
                      Hohlflote 8
                      Oktav 4
                      Spitzflote 4
                      Quinte 2-2/3
                      Doublette 2
                      Waldflote 2
                      Mixture IV
                      Cor Anglais 8
                      Krummhorn 16
                      Krummhorn 8
                      Schalmei 4
                      Trem
                      Swell > Great

I'm very pleased with the sound of the Artisan ranks. The samples on the Artisan website don't do the actual SE justice.

Comment

rjsilva,

Try this link for the Dutch organs:

http://www.pbrd.nl/index.php/vo/down...ndorgue-versie

Comment

Thanks everyone! To reply a little bit:

Leisesturm, yes, my organ has a single MIDI out for the manuals and drawknobs (it also has thru and in). Arie V surmised that the expression pedals may also be under MIDI. I should receive the MIDI interface soon and I'll do some testing to see for sure what signals my organ sends and when.

Admin, neat website. Thanks!

tbeck, that's helpful to know. Does shortening the trim make it sound weird at all? I figured the reverb would be in the sample prior to the release of the note.

Slim Jerkins, do you have any recordings of the Artisan Sound Engine? I actually can't play the sounds on their website. Their product is definitely the most simple solution. How many ranks is that?
                          Viscount C400 3-manual

Comment

rjsilva: no.

Comment

tbeck, that's helpful to know. Does shortening the trim make it sound weird at all? I figured the reverb would be in the sample prior to the release of the note.
                              I have different opinion from tbeck on this. Shortening the reverb tail simply shortens the reverb tail. The main body of the sample is still in a reverberant field as you point out. To my ears the resulting sound is somewhat hollow and distant. I wouldn't say the sound is weird, but it's generally not to my liking, although some sample sets may be more conducive to this approach than others.

There are some Hauptwerk sample sets that are recorded from multiple mic positions in the sound field, e.g. close to the sound source and out in the middle of the church, that allow you mix the two in varying proportions in effect letting you determine where in the sound field you are.
                              -Admin

Allen 965
                              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
                              X