This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer Speaker Warranty Problem

Hi, folks. Having trouble with a Behringer B3031A self-powered monitor speaker. I've been thinking since I bought a pair in late 2015 that they had a three-year warranty. Also kept a copy of a product flyer (PDF) that shows "3-Year Warranty Program." Contacted service and they told me it was out of warranty.

Sent them the copy of the flyer...

Now they tell me that the warranty is only three years if you send in the warranty card or register the product.

Gotta admit I never looked for THAT.

So I think this is a little stinky. Be warned that an advertised three-year warranty may NOT be a three year warranty unless you register the product - and thus give them permission to spam you to perdition with marketing messages.

In their favor, note that the line in the flyer has an asterisk! A dim grey line at the bottom says "*Warranty details can be found at music-group.com."

I didn't look. Three years is three years, right? :)
    -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Product registration is a requirement for many, if not most, warranties. It ties the product's serial number to a purchase date. Otherwise, how is the manufacturer supposed to know when the product was purchased and if the warranty is still in effect? A purchase receipt does not have that specificity as a rule. Registration also provides the manufacturer a way of contacting purchasers for reasons other than spamming them, like when there is a recall due to a safety problem.

A three year warranty on electronics is pretty generous in my opinion. Sorry to appear unsympathetic, but I don't see why Behringer should be expected to hold up their end of the warranty when you neglected to do your part.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Well, thanks. I simply didn't look at everything in the box. Still, well, poo!

Thing is that the warranty is advertised without telling one that any further action than providing POP - proof of purchase - is needed. That's why I keep receipts.

I seriously doubt that they did not know when the product, by name and serial number and lot number, and maybe phase of the moon, was SOLD by Amazon. Also, these were a "matched pair," supposedly with similar characteristics. I've certainly been contacted by companies about products that I've BOUGHT on Amazon.

Live and learn... Sympathy is nice to have, but not a requirement.
      -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic -- 1899 Kimball, Rodgers W5000C, Conn 643, Hammond M3, L-102 - "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself." (Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest​ -) ​Paracelsus

Comment

I'd check your state's laws as various states have differing views of what restrictions can apply. I recently had a similar situation with an ADC UPS system. Unlike Behringer, they knew from the serial number that the product had to have been sold under warrantee. They shipped a new unit, included a UPS return label for the old one, and were spectacular in every way. I've bought a number of Behringer monitors but will keep your account in mind next time.
        Also, Sweetwater and perhaps others are great about returns.
        http://www.nwmidi.com

Comment

Thanks, John. I will.

The fellow at Behringer has kindly pointed me to a local facility that does factory-authorized repairs, and I have been in contact with them today. The rates they quoted seem very reasonable and in worst case of needing the PCB and the transformer will be less expensive than buying a similar speaker.

The rep said that they only needed the "amplifier plate" on the back. Removing the power section only requires removing six screws and unplugging two plugs. I'll be sending it away tomorrow.

http://www.audiolabga.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Silken Path View Post
            Now they tell me that the warranty is only three years if you send in the warranty card or register the product.

Gotta admit I never looked for THAT.
            Lamar,

I have to admit, I have had trouble searching Georgia's statutes and rules, but check out this link. Your state may have something similar.

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Thank you. I did find an attorney's page talking about warranty conflict and resolution in Georgia. Behringer is safe in this claim because they fall back to a one-year warranty, which is not great for commercial music gear, even if one does NOT send in the warranty card. I think I have a fuss point because it was clearly stated that there was a 3-year warranty "program."

Michael, I meant that I had never looked for Behringer's warranty restrictions. Admin is more worldly that I am, but I had seen the sales claim so I never dug for it further.

Looking around in this room, I see numerous items - ART (mixer), Asus (router), HP (printer), Audio-Technica (headphones) - that I've had warranty work on without sending in anything to register the product. In fact, the only thing around here that I have registered was my Roland stage piano. I did that so I could download an update. (They have been pretty moderate with the marketing, but it's not aimed at my generation.)

Comment

I maintain separate email addresses for my online purchases, ebay transactions and warranty registrations. That way the follow-up sales and promotion emails are not mixed in with my personal emails. Since G-mail is free, you might try that. All of my email addresses are polled via Thunderbird and end up in separate folders so I instantly know whether something is friend, family or "other" coming in.
                Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Steinway AR Duo-Art 7' grand piano, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico grand piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI, Allen MADC-2110.

Comment

Having read all that. Will say I've personally never had a warranty claim denied using just a bill of sale or receipt. Think about it. I often buy stuff on sale but don't use right away. That actually shortens the period that I'm covered. It is rather cheese-bag for the company to do that. And IMO bad policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Silken Path View Post
                    Michael, I meant that I had never looked for Behringer's warranty restrictions. Admin is more worldly that I am, but I had seen the sales claim so I never dug for it further.
                    B-)Worldly?B-) Not me. More cynical, more OCD, more ancient, more caveat emptor maybe. Or perhaps living in the American Southwest for so many years has conditioned me to be more responsible and self-reliant than I once was, because, believe, Arizona ain't no nanny state when it comes to consumer protection.:P
                    -Admin

Allen 965
                    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I heard back about the speakers. I had removed the back plate and take in to my friendly UPS store (Watkinsville, GA). There was a new girl working there and she wouldn't do the packing in front of me, as they have done in the past. The fellow at the electronics shop said that the it was, if anything, over packaged. :)

Supposed to be on the bench today or tomorrow, so I'll find out the damage soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X