Modular Virtual Organ project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modular Virtual Organ project

I've finished my virtual organ project, not intending to build it into a console at the moment as it needs to be mobile from time to time. Enjoying trying out the various VO systems available, leaning towards the various Hammond B3 packages as I'm only a home player, pipe organs tend to be a bit overwhelming at this stage

What software are you using for your VPO?
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Hi, I'm evaluating GrandOrgue (Barton theatre organ), jOrgan (Hammond B3), GSI-VB3 and GG Audio Blue3. Blue3 seems good, everything packed in, and very simple to use.

Comment

Ian,

Can you please give us details of the pedals unit.

Comment

Hi, I used the circuit board of a Korg Nano2 keyboard. The 'pedals' are half-round dowel rods, mounted on the base board with very thin foam rubber strips at both ends. One contact is a drawing-pin under the dowel rod, and the other contact is a strip of hard foil. Make the foil thick enough to almost touch the drawing pin, so the eventual pedal is very touch-sensitive.

Each pair of wires is connected to the contacts of the Nano Key2 - this has three contacts for velocity, I shorted the outside and inside contacts for one connection, and the middle contact is for the other connection. I only used 24 keys to save space.

The wiring is fed underneath the top board and connected, and then it all rests on a bottom board.

It's obviously not very professional, but here in South Africa a professional midi keyboard of this size would cost R20000, this unit cost me under R1000, plus a bit for some tools.

Hope it helps

Comment

• j reimer
            j reimer commented
            Editing a comment
            Many thanks. Congratulations on a clever solution. It's one which can be developed without too much work, such as elevating each group of black pedals. Many of us, I suspect, depend on the gaps to find our way with a measure of confidence.

John Reimer

Thank you John. I'm looking for a solution for an expression pedal still, my midi keyboards have a pedal input that is specified as accepting a switched or continuous pedal, so although this would typically be for a sustain pedal, it's assignable so I'm hoping a volume pedal would work - midi pedals are also quite pricey and I can do without another midi channel to complicate the system. I'd appreciate any ideas in this area

Comment

• j reimer
            j reimer commented
            Editing a comment
            The first of the analogue electronic organs I designed and built for Sydney churches in the 1980's had a swell pedal bought from somewhere. It had a potentiometer which failed after some years. My solution was crude but effective. I rigged up an LED and LDR (light dependent resistor) combination, such that movement of the pedal governed the distance between them. This initially fed an analogue circuit, but a few years ago I MIDIfied that instrument (in retirement, I live near it, and play for services twice a month). My solution worked in each instance.

John Reimer

Thanks John, that sounds interesting! I've just found an affordable expression pedal on Amazon and ordered it, let's hope my midi keyboard accepts it and I can assign it as an expression pedal...

Comment

Working...
          X