Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steinberg Halion and Sonic software

Hi

Has anyone any experience with the Steinberg Halion and Sonic software for use as a live instrument. Can you save various sounds in presets as you would on an organ thumb pistons to use “on the fly”.
    And finally how does it sit alongside Hauptwerk?

Thanks

Mark

Yes, you can save any combination you want, Halion Sonic is a very good all-purpose program with easy editing controls, Halion is also good, but more geared to those that want to do sampling themselves.
    The best way to run them side by side is to run both Hauptwerk & Halion in a VST Host as it combines then into a powerful instrument.
    Downsides, most organ s (Even Top End Roland’s) are pretty naff when it comes to Midi control, (Most organs are just unbelievably limited when it comes to Midi), so unless you have something like a Wersi OAS/OAX or Bohm instrument which have a quite comprehensive Midi control, (Bohm is up to Workstation class) I would steer clear, as a lot of work will be involved and you will need a real in depth understanding of Midi Control and the various programs out there.
    Regards

Bill

Comment

Hi Bill

Thanks for the input

What I was thinking of doing was getting 3 keyboards and a pedal board all midi to work together with thumb pistons etc for hauptwerk and I was wondering if the halion would work on these also with different sounds on each manual etc

Regarding the vt host what would you suggest to run the two programs together

Also would I have to be looking at workstations rather than simple keyboards to do this

Thanks

Mark

Comment

HI Mark

I recommend you get a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) with a VST Host built in (Steinberg’s Cubase Element’s is a great place to start) and use the online tutorials to get you going.
        Controller keyboards are fine, (Get ones that have dedicated Midi sockets rather than just USB versions) as most DAWs have setups for them that you can select from the menu making setup easy.
        Get yourself a quality Midi/Audio interface (Focusrite make good value products that are reasonably priced) with the number of inputs outputs you require.
        Once you have the above it is a case of buckling down, following the tutorials and some trial and error to get to where you want, however you will not achieve it overnight so make sure you have realistic expectations.
        Here is a good place to start http://tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html for Midi and here http://tweakheadz.com/setting_up_your_audio.htm for audio.
        Have fun

Bill

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Mark

Comment

While I cannot speak for the software that has been mentioned in this thread, I always have found it rather difficult to work with software based instruments (running on PC or laptop) in a live situation, apart from Hauptwerk, especially when I wanted to combine sounds from different VSTs and change them at the touch of a button. Cantabile works as a VST & Midi host geared towards live playing, and my understanding is that the advanced version can save all kinds of states (presets) and reproduce them at will within a given song. I only have experience with the free version which is rather limited in its ability to use it "on the fly". Have a look at this vid where the user states he uses Cantabile Performer for his live performance.

Comment

Working...
            X