Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quantum
    replied
    For jOrgan or Grandorgue users, there is also the Linux route. If you don't need specific Windows features it's an option worth considering. Linux can be very stable and reliable once setup.

If sticking with Windows, another option is to create a separate network with no internet access, just for the VPO computer. That way you can transfer files between your VPO system and your other computers, while keeping your VPO computer off the internet.

Leave a comment:

• jbird604
    replied
    I'm new to the VPO world, but when I bought a dedicated computer for my VPO project a few months back, I made the decision to let it run all the upgrades it could find in the first few days, then I took it off-line permanently. (On mine, which is a refurbished Dell desktop machine, the WiFi receiver was on a USB dongle, and I just pulled that thing out and left the computer without a network connection.) I also used the "Glitch-Free" document that Admin has posted on the forum somewhere as a guide, and I went through Windows with a fine-tooth comb, turning off everything that might provoke it to even look for updates, as well as the various power-saving options that might slow it down or cause it to be sleepy when I want to use it.

My feeling is that it is as up to date as it needs to be, it needs no further security updates because it isn't going to be exposed to the internet in any way, and I can rest assured that Windows Update isn't going to change my settings or break anything that I worked so hard to optimize.

Of course this isn't possible for those who run HW 5 in subscription mode. And it makes adding new sample sets a two-step process -- I have to download the sets to my other computer and transfer them to the VPO computer with a USB stick. A bit more trouble, but I want to be able to play my organ any time and not worry that Windows Update has been messing with it!

Leave a comment:

• quantum
    replied
    I've noticed Windows 10 feature updates (the ones that happen twice yearly and increment your Windows 10 version number), have a greater possibility of overwriting drivers. However, it is usually solved by deleting the device, and reinstalling the driver of choice.

I like to test out a new Windows 10 feature update first on my desktop computer, before rolling it out on my dedicated VPO computer, that way any downtime can be planned when for a time when it is less disruptive. I can relate to the feeling, you need to practice for Sunday but Windows just rolled out a feature that broke your interface drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    commented on 's reply
    If you're getting a turn off ad-blocker message, you are running an ad blocker. If you're not running one in your browser, check your anti-virus settings for one. An alternate name for the setting is Banner Blocker.

• Mardy
    replied
    Thanks for that Andyg....sorry delay in getting back...keep getting interrupted because of ad block which I do not have on this site...so gave up ....seems OK tonight.......Win keeps connecting to their drivers which don't work and ignore the correct driver which is loaded........tried another brand interface with latest driver and loaded via memory stick and success......so will try and re-load two other virtual setups via memory stick which avoids going on the net with Organ pc......of interest my repair tech advised re-furbishing speakers some months ago and the resulting sound is amazing and a great lift to the V-org play back...........Regards, mardy.

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    When you say 'upgrade', do you mean that you've gone to Windows 10 from 7 or 8? Or just an update in Win 10 that's caused the issue?

Either way, the first port of call is the website of the manufacturer of your USB-MIDI interface. You're looking for updated drivers. Don't believe Windows if it tells you that a driver for anything is up to date. It's lying and all it's saying really is that the system is using the last driver built into Windows (assuming the interface is class-compliant).

Find the updated driver, download and install it, restart the computer and in theory things should then work OK.

All decent interfaces will have a manufacturer's website, the cheap Chinese ones, available in dozens of different names, don't. There is a possibility that if you've gone from Win 7 or 8 to Win 10 that there is no Win 10 driver for your interface. Again. most decent ones are Win 10 capable. But if not, a new interface is the only option. I always recommend the Roland UM One Mk2 as the interface. Reliable, usually rock solid and has drivers for all Windows versions. I have one, but it gets little use now as the Roland organ and Yamaha keyboard both connect directly via USB. A couple of bits of older MIDI gear still need that USB-MIDI connection via the UM One.

Leave a comment:

• Mardy
    started a topic MIDI Interface Problem After Windows Upgrade

MIDI Interface Problem After Windows Upgrade

Been having a great time with these virtual organs,but recently nothing but trouble ......complete devastation with every Microsoft upgrade...thought I'd solved it after last episode but I am afraid I have given up.........decided to remove wireless from pc computer and stop further upgrades but missed the most important midi interface which appears to be now defunct .....any ideas ?????? I am not very computer literate......mardy.
Working...
X