Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momboc
    replied
    OK, so I'll assume the Allen ADC 2100 console (that you already own) is the target for MIDIfication.

There are 2 approaches:

1. get an Allen ADC MIDI kit fitted, if you can find one (and the Zuma Group ADC MIDI card if you want to MIDIfy stops and expression etc) - see the linked thread below for a discussion on this option or search the Forum for 'ADC MIDI' to see other threads

2. Gut the ADC 2100 and rewire it and retrofit aftermarket MIDI encoders e.g. the MIDI Boutique HWCE2x

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...midi#post40756
    Last edited by Momboc; 01-14-2021, 07:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you!!!

An Allen 2100 (ADC)

• Momboc
    commented on 's reply
    Yes there is a book.

"All about Hauptwerk" by Kenneth Spencer

https://www.bookdepository.com/All-A...0aAs9oEALw_wcB

Here is a video by the author.
    https://youtu.be/0IRvB5oV6Pg

It doesn't go down to the level of how to wire a keyboard but you should get a copy and read it

What sort of console do you already have?

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    Okay, I take that back. I can manipulate a solder pretty well and my dad was in contracting for 30 years so I'd definitely have help from him for other tools. Wiring things kinda scares me and I'd need a really simple step-by-step book (is that a thing) on how to convert my organ or an MDS I could buy (would rather do mine). I've seen how to MIDIfy pedalboards and that seems pretty simple, but MIDIfying the keyboards and wiring it up to the stops and all the other stuff I don't even know about would be difficult. Is there a book on "How to MIDYfy an organ for dummies"?

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    Well I have a console and a computer but I really don't want to do it myself (DIM?) because I'm not very handy with a solder and hand tools and wiring confuses my brain similar to what happens when I watch Cameron Carpenter play the organ.

• Momboc
    replied
    Does your $5K budget include the Console, MIDI encoders, PC & OS, Hauptwerk & Sampleset and Audio system.

If so, then a DIY approach is the lowest cost option.
    How handy are you with a soldering iron and hand tools?

For a lowest cost starter system using a DIY approach, I'd recommend gutting and MIDIfying an Allen MOS1 or MOS 2 console with Midi Boutique encoders and accessories. You will have two 61 note manuals and a 32 note AGO pedalboard.

The PC doesn't need to be bleeding edge. I'm still succesfully using an old PC that has an ASUS X58 MoBo chipset which can support a XEON processor and 24G of RAM. Audio can be an old Stereo.

Leave a comment:

• iPlayKeys
    commented on 's reply
    Arnold does really great work. I worked with them for some of the parts for my Hauptwerk setup, and the Hauptwerk software itself. My church ALMOST bought an instrument from Arnold for our sanctuary, but we ended up going Allen and spending literally twice as much. Their demo instrument was beautiful and sounded great. In the end the committee decided that Allen was the safer choice because these new fangled PC based things are just too scary

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    I was hoping for around 5k but it sounds like that might not be close to what I need.

• IHMHauptwerk
    replied
    What is your budget? I may have a lead on two already completed Hauptwerk organs (converted by a Minnesota builder, not the one you mentioned) that might be purchased in spring or early summer.

Leave a comment:

• Philip Powell
    replied
    An update: I found a website in Minnesota (Arnold Organs) that offers to either MIDIfy your console or one from their shop for only $1500 (doesn’t include shipping I assume). That sure does sound like a steal to me. UNFORTUNATELY, they’re so busy that they aren’t taking any rebuilds this year. That sort of thing happens in 2020!!! Are we having a carry over to 2021😳 Beware everyone, beware.

Leave a comment:

• SchnarrHorn
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!!

Yes, my MDS does send MIDI info for the stops. When I first got the instrument, I played around a bit with MIDI recording, using Cakewalk (very cheap back then, not the expensive software that replaced it) on a PC with a MIDI interface card (no USB back then!!). All stop setup, changes and expression pedal movements were captured accurately.

"I also appreciate Allen's built in sounds, so I would want to have both. It also makes your organ more marketable once you no longer need it."

This.

George

• SchnarrHorn
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

George

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    If only I had an organ with MIDI.

• Philip Powell
    commented on 's reply
    This is what I'd hope to do but I may not have the patience to wait for a MIDI supported console.

• Larason2
    commented on 's reply
    On the Audio side, you could feed Hauptwerk back into the Allen amp, but you would have to rewire it. For my Allen Mos2 225RTC, what I did was cut the input to the amp, wire that to a small mixer, then wire the mixer output back to the amp. You could then have either Hauptwerk or the Allen audio or both fed into the Allen amp/monitors through the mixer. As well, it makes a nice headphone solution. It's not a hard DIY to do, and you could do it with a fairly inexpensive mixer. I recommend the Yamaha MG06 or the Behringer Xenyx 1002FX.

Having the stop controls work with Hauptwerk is another story, however. I'm not sure if the Allen Midi board also sends midi messages for the stops. John Kinkennon's solution seems to control stops, so that is one to look into for MDS organs. If whatever solution you adopt doesn't control stops, you could always control them in Hauptwerk with a touch screen or something like the Launchpad product.

I'm a Hauptwerk user, but I also appreciate Allen's built in sounds, so I would want to have both. It also makes your organ more marketable once you no longer need it.
Working...
X