No announcement yet.

My VPO Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added Haverhill OIC extended and re-added Hereford to my fleet (he offered way too good of a deal for me to pass on). I might part ways with either Armley or Hereford after playing through all 3 of my purchased sets this week.

Philip
    [B]"I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music." [/B]- Johann Sebastian Bach
    Organs I Play:
    - Home: VPO Compiled from Allen 2110 parts
    - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

I use all of these. I love the Hereford - every stop is beautiful. It's a little bit too resonant for me to use all the time. Armley is very good, though I didn't like it much at first: I can't see the point of the Echo organ as there's already a plethora of soft flue stops - but a dearth of solo stops. I only have the single channel version which suits me: the chancel perspective is just right. I prefer the original sample set to the extended one - I only use the latter if I need a solo reed. Haverhill is good; though the individual stops are not particularly distinguished they work well together and the acoustic is good for practice.

Comment

Thanks to John Kinkennon I was able to pick up a third manual for my VPO setup. If you are ever in the Vancouver, WA area, you should go by and see John - his garage is full of some of the most amazing things!

Philip
        [B]"I play the notes as they are written (well, I try), but it is God who makes the music." [/B]- Johann Sebastian Bach
        Organs I Play:
        - Church: M.P. Moller 1951 (Relocated 2015) 3 manual, 56 stop, 38 ranks (Opus 8152)

Comment

I thought maybe somebody would be interested to hear that my 3rd manual is almost setup and my job as interim music director is official (4 Masses a weekend, woohoo!)
          Organs I Play:

Comment

• SchnarrHorn
            SchnarrHorn commented
            Editing a comment
            Philip,
            Congrats on your music director job. While I am interested to hear the news of your 3rd manual being almost setup, I'd much rather hear another one of your recordings posted using the new setup!! ;-)

George

• Aduragbemi
            Aduragbemi commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm happy to hear that! I just can't wait to see pictures and hear your recordings. Congratulations!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished 3rd Manual.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	802287Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd Manual in Progress.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	591.4 KB
ID:	802288
          (I am using my touchscreens until I can figure out how to arrange my lighted buttons.)
          Organs I Play:

Comment

Recording of Bach's (yes, it's his until proven otherwise) "Little" Prelude and Fugue in G minor (played a little fast on the Haverhill OIC Extended organ).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Olw...ew?usp=sharing

Philip
            Organs I Play:

Comment

• Larason2
              Larason2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha, fair enough! There aren’t as many pure romantic interpretations of Bach these days, and while many wouldn’t agree, I think it’s a legitimate style. Personally I prefer a blend of Baroque and Romantic takes on Bach, and I think Marie-Claire Alain encapsulates that the best. I’ve heard from others that Haverhill is an underrated organ, and I’m glad you’ve found one to your taste!

• SchnarrHorn
              SchnarrHorn commented
              Editing a comment
              Philip,
              Very nice!! What, are you playing from the Straube edition?? hahaha But the big question - were you using the new 3rd manual? hahahaha

Seriously though, I like both Romantic and Baroque interpretations of Bach. His music transcends. You make the little g minor sound very grand!

E. Power Biggs was always adamant that the little 8 were by J.S.

George

• Philip Powell
              Philip Powell commented
              Editing a comment
              George,
              Yes I played it on the new third manual!
          Working...
          X