No announcement yet.

My Virtual Organ Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK... I got the keys in place, and with the aid of a measuring tape at the back, while keeping the front end of the keys level (using the wood piece that I will mount the reed switches on)

The keys are screwed in place.

Comment

Improved Console...

Aiming to make it as shallow and as narrow as possible. There's also a compartment between the manuals and the pedal to house the dedicated computer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_231712.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	798545 The side view

...And the organ bench!!! 😊😊😊😊

Comment

Name:	20220423_123838.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	798602
        And here we have the manual keystack in the console. The CPU and the sound system (home theatre) in the shelf behind the knee-board, and two satellite speakers on either side of the music stand, three hidden behind the music stand and the sub in the shelf. I wish the monitor is smaller and so sit more nicely on that shoulder. The mouse and keypad have short cables... maybe I'll go wireless and have them sit with me on the bench😊😊.
        Attached Files

Comment

• gtc
          gtc commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking better every day! Monitor screen size and placement is a bugbear for all VPOs. Maybe consider an adjustable monitor mounting kit attached to the rear of the organ? This supposes that the monitor has the requisite mounting holes in it.

• Aduragbemi
          Aduragbemi commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by gtc View Post
          Maybe consider an adjustable monitor mounting kit attached to the rear of the organ?
          Nice idea that's worth trying out.

The console, with the pedalboard in place.

The floor of the room is significantly inclined to the right.

I made a platform for the console with 12 adjustable castors to balance out the incline.

Comment

Thumb Pistons!!!

I got the idea from this thread, which I studied thoroughly:

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...ecommendations

I made some modification to suit me and here's the plan...

I find the similar arrangement under each manual convenient for me - one measuremt will fit all, for instance.

The push buttons that are available to me are smaller than what I saw in thumb piston catalogs - 12mm diameter. But I think it should be manageable. The colours available are other than white. I got some sample to see how the colours will go with the console.

I'm going with black. The blue is a no-no for me. If I decide to add other colours, it will be green for Set and red for General Cancel, and I may consider yellow for coupler reversibles. No more - I don't want to end up with a colour-riot of a console.😊

The pistons will be wired up to one Arduino Mega, putting into practise what John Coenraads taught me. Thank you sir.

The plates in front of the natural keys will be trimmed down so that they won't interfere with the piston functions

Last edited by Aduragbemi; 05-03-2022, 02:50 AM.

Comment

VPO Acquisition Syndrome is a serious bug to catch🤒🤒🤒.

Overall, I find building this organ very satisfying, so much that I am not even minding spending my last kobo on it. (Kobo is the Nigerian equivalent of cent).

But there is an aspect that disturbs me... The Manual III. First, the manual that cannot be powered by USB. It was the reason I made it the uppermost manual so I could just switch it off for 2-manual samplesets (sometimes I use it to play the pedal division until the pedalboard becomes functional). But if I forgot to plug in the adapter before powering up the computer, it tends to scatter the configurations of other manuals and I will have to shut down and restart with the adapter on.

Second, the keys feel less-weighted compared to the other two. Also, some keys on the second octave of the manual do not play if a don't strike them hard enough. Striking keys is a pianist's thing, not and organist's because velocity doesn't count on the organ. Being conscious of that will definitely hamper an organist's performance.

The obviously darker colour of the natural does not really matter, but on occasions I'm just a bit concerned.

Well... let me just solve this by replacing this manual. So I got another M-Audio Keystation ES-88.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220503_093404.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	799114

At the unit price of about 120 dollars equivalent, it is 50% more expensive than unit price of the previous three... I have always considered the previous purchases a steal (I bought from a different supplier who has only this one). It turns out that this one is neater, and the natural keys less discoloured. It has a firm weighted feel comparble to the manuals 1 and 2 in the existing console. Of course, it is USB-powered! Yayyyy! Bye-bye adapter!

The solution to a problem, they say, sometimes creates another problem. The outgoing manual (as well as others) were modified during construction, and some keys were removed to give way for the "stop jamb" partitions. If I cannot get to reverse these modifications, I will have to make an "Opus 2" out of it - a single-manual positive (virtual pipe) organ.

Comment

Originally posted by Aduragbemi View Post
              Second, the keys feel less-weighted compared to the other two. Also, some keys on the second octave of the manual do not play if a don't strike them hard enough. Striking keys is a pianist's thing, not and organist's because velocity doesn't count on the organ.
              Aduragbemi,

The issue with keys not working properly can be possibly due to the contacts at the back of the keys. What sort of contacts does the keyboard have: Reed switch, leaf contacts, other? These can be rectified, but might not be the software vs. physical contacts.

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                What sort of contacts does the keyboard have: Reed switch, leaf contacts, other?
                The contacts are like this...

Name:	20220504_074900.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	799160

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just read one of Larrytow posts in another thread about Baldwin double contacts made by Viscount, how they're prone to failure, and how they are not possible to replace ("Unobtanium"--meaning there's no way to get them now). I've searched for the post and cannot find it, but wondered if your keyboard donor might be Viscount or Baldwin/Viscount contacts?

I was going to provide a copy of the post here, but didn't find it using the Forum's advanced search features (or simple search for that matter).

Michael

• Admin
                  Admin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think this is the post myorgan is referring to. I found it using the Forum's Advanced Search with the keywords Baldwin Viscount contacts and specifying the user as @Larrytow.
                  https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...326#post799326

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, Admin. That's the post, to which I was referring.

Michael

Those are conductive rubber strip contacts. These can be problematic when they are worn or dirty, and some such boards are of made of higher quality materials than others. Also, they need to be pressed as vertically as possible in order to make good contact. Is the problem that you are experiencing related to your innovative stop design?
                -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                Leslie 147 #F7453.
                Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                  Is the problem that you are experiencing related to your innovative stop design?
                  Well, I don't think so. The stops are working fine. The problematic keys specifically are D2, E2 and A2 (assuming the lowest C on the manual is C1).

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                    Could it be you received a defective set of contacts?
                    The manual may have had these defects at the time I got it along with the other two. It was the most-discoloured/defaced of the three; a pointer to the severity of exposure to the elements.

By the way, I will repair it (if possible) after taking it out for the replacement, and either return it into it's original case or rework it into a single manual organ.

Comment

A view of how it all began 😀😀😀😀

Comment

"The Old Rugged Cross" played on the VPO.

Sampleset: St. John Cantius, Cracow.

Comment

• Philip Powell
                          Philip Powell commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

• Aduragbemi
                          Aduragbemi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Phillip 😊🙏
                          Last edited by Aduragbemi; 05-09-2022, 05:57 PM.

Just to address my reference regarding key contacts, and move the discussion into the end of the thread. This is the link Admin found for me addressing the key contacts you pictured: https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...326#post799326

Michael
                        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

EXPRESSION PEDALS

As the pedalboard construction progresses, I feel the need to work the expression (swell/crescendo) pedals along. In this case I have some options.

1. Buy expression pedals and plug into the expression pedal ports on the manual PCBs. M-Audio Keystation 88es (unlike 61es version) has expression port in addition to sustain port for this purpose. This is the most straightforward way, but also the most expensive (though not unaffordable).

2. Construct the expression pedals, work the modulation wheels (rotary pot) into the pedals, find a way to extend the connecting cables, and connect into the ports on the PCBs. Same applies to the volume slides (linear pot).

3. Should I use a different pot from what came with the manuals' [parent midi keyboards], I can use the analog inputs on the pedalboard's Arduino. The pistons' Arduino can also serve the same purpose.

Of all these options, the DIY spirit in me leans towards options 2 and 3. Not because of costs anymore (I can no longer call this project as one that is "built on a budget"😅 ), but because of the satisfaction that comes with getting something that I do by my hands to work.

I have seen many DIY designs online, including the one by our very own, Larason2. I will surely update on this forum as I make progress.

Thank you all and enjoy your weekend.

Comment

Working...
                        X