My Virtual Organ Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PEDALBOARD UPDATE

I dismantled the pedal keys and sanded them smooth, especially the playing surfaces. Ditto the pedalboard frame. All that's left is the finishing (staining and lacquering), and the MIDI-fying.

​ ​
    The keys have inconsistent colours necessitating staining to even them out. I will try to match the colour to the manual console if that is going to be possible, hopefully. The bench, when finalized, will also receive matching finishing.

I have not done a wood finishing before, just like many aspects of this project. Hopefully it turns out excellent and I'll be very glad if it does. Just in case it doesn't, I sure will forgive myself.

Suggestions and comments are welcome please 😊😊.
    Last edited by Aduragbemi; 05-14-2022, 05:24 AM.

Comment

REED SWITCH AND MAGNET INTERACTIONS

In preparation towards midifying the pedalboard,
      I came across a tutorial on reed-switch and magnet interaction, which I found very useful. Here is the video link and the pdf slide.

https://youtu.be/7LimjYS04FQ

Reed-Switch-And-Magnet-Interaction.pdf

I believe this knowledge will benefit us here, especially those who want to try out reed-switch and magnet thingies for the first time. I like the explanations about the magnet orientation (parallel vs perpendicular) and approach (centered vs offset) in relation to the reed switch. I tested them out on breadboard. And this has helped me to plan their arrangement on the pedalboard.
      Attached Files

Comment

With high morale I proceeded with the expression pedals today. I was looking for hinges when I came across these roller wheels (I don't know the actual name😁😁) at a junk shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220514_114642.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	799665

I came home with 3 of them and a crazy idea.

I tightened the bolts so that the wheels don't roll freely. I drilled a hole in one of them and inserted the moving arm of the linear pot that removed from the keyboards' case. Then I carefully slid it under, between the wheel and the metal frame, with an insulating foam material in between.

Name:	20220514_191956.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	799666

I got being the console and connected the pot into it's port on one of the PCBs.

Name:	20220514_191540.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	799667

Then I powered on the organ and configured a virtual swell pedal to listen to the pot. It was recognized!!!

So I made a short MIDI recording, played it back and got behind the console to move the jig - full silence to full volume, back and forth as I pleased. THE EXPRESSION PEDAL WORKED!!!! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘.

Comment

• gtc
          gtc commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are called casters.

The wheel has 4cm radius and the linear pot arm travels 3cm horizontally, from minimum to maximum. I calculated the angular displacement that will move the entire length - about 40 degrees. The pot will also move vertically by 0.5cm through the travel (I had to summon my rusty geometry and trigonometry for these calculations 😝😝😝😝).

The vertical displacement is not a problem because the insulating foam is compressible, and the hole in the wheel is deep enough to allow the pot arm move in at the lowest clearance.

The angular displacement is satisfactory to me... All I need to do is to attach the foot pedal in a way that the near-minimum (closed) position of the pot will correspond to an angle of about 50 degrees from horizontal (as seen in RCO recommendation diagram). AGO recommends 41 degrees from vertical - same difference. Somehow I did not see what the angle at full open position should be, but even at maximum displacement it should not be horizontal. Does anyone know an exact figure??

Name:	20220514_201546.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	799672

Name:	20220514_201614.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	799670
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is what I did for the foot pedal...

The piece of wood is the frame on which the foot pedal be attached. It fits tightly on the wheel and it moves it, but I will screw it in eventually.

Apart from the top of the foot pedal, what remains is to figure how to extend the pot cable all the way up to where the port is.

Name:	20220514_192104.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	799676

Name:	20220514_192219.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	799675 ??Fully closed position??

Name:	20220514_192319.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	799674 ??Fully open position??

CAVEAT : I removed the pot before fixing the wood... I cant afford to get it damaged.

NB: pot = potentiometer.

I'm calling it a day now (8.45pm here). Goodnight everyone.

Comment

• myorgan
            myorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            What you're showing looks good to me, but some of our organ builders will need to weigh in here. The fully open position may be a bit extreme. One would need to extend/rotate their foot uncomfortably forward. My guess is that it should be about 10˚ less than what your photo shows.

Michael

Pedal travel needs to relate to the pot connected to the pedal.

Off the shelf pots generally have a rotation angle of 270 degrees.

In my Ahlborn SL-250 project I had to replace both the swell and crescendo pedals because their plastic housings were broken beyond repair by the previous owner (he must have been lead-footed!).

The original pedals contained OEM pots with 180 degree rotation, and that necessitated my modifying the rotation angle of standard wire-wound pots to make the replacement (Baldwin) pedals operate correctly on the organ.

Here are some links:

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...626#post771626

https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...038#post775038
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Originally posted by Aduragbemi View Post
            REED SWITCH AND MAGNET INTERACTIONS

I like the explanations about the magnet orientation (parallel vs perpendicular) and approach (centered vs offset) in relation to the reed switch. I tested them out on breadboard. And this has helped me to plan their arrangement on the pedalboard.
            I have converted the pedals on my Ahlborn SL-250 from tact switches to magnet and reeds. The thing to bear in mind about reed switches is that they are quite fragile. I elected to use an enclosed type of reed which -- as a big bonus -- just happened to have terminal spacings that fit the organ's pedal PCB. I also used encapsulated round magnets that were readily mounted onto the existing pedal. These are not cheap parts but my objective was reliability so price was not a major consideration.

Here's a link: https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...685#post773685
            -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
            Leslie 147 #F7453.
            Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
            The fully open position may be a bit extreme. One would need to extend/rotate their foot uncomfortably forward.
            Yes it looks too extreme.

During the testing, I noticed that the virtual swell pedal fully opens before the pot reaches it's maximum - by about 5mm. Plus, I don't think the closed position should produce a complete silence (am I right? I have not played any proper organ before). So the wheel does not have to rotate the entire 40Β° to work effectively.

I will incorporate limit stoppers at the appropriate angles. And this will also relieve the pot of excess strain.

Comment

Plus, I don't think the closed position should produce a complete silence (am I right?
              You are correct.

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Yes! I found this pdf document that shows the angle limits. 41Β° - 63Β° (from vertical).

EXPRESSION.PDF

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220515-160549_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	367.6 KB ID:	799712
                They are "sturdily constructed to AGO specifications"

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220515-155959_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	753.2 KB ID:	799713

Now I have something to work with. πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
                Attached Files

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You have excellent research skills! Don't forget the Crescendo shoe is mounted slightly higher than expression shoes. I never would have thought of using casters to create an expression shoe. Quite ingenious! Please keep the posts coming!

Michael

PEDALBOARD UPDATE

I stained the playing surfaces of the sharp keys, then lacquered the entire board. I have abandoned the idea of staining the frame. Result... I can't say it's so great, but I'm OK with it.

Name:	20220521_040313.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	800167

​​​​​​​

Comment

Pedal Springs

I got some [not a piano] spring wire 3mm diameter (smallest I could find). I had them cut to 1ft length.

​

I bent the tip with a plier

​

Then I used my "jig" to bend to shape

​

My "jig"? A damaged door handle.πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ
                  I screwed a piece of wood near it to hold the wire during the bending. The wood has a hole into which the bent tip is inserted. I used a thick metal bar with a slot for the wire to bend it over the door knob.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220521_212256.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	800172

DISCLAIMER: Be extra careful and vigilant when bending a piano wire; the procedure gone wrong can cause serious bodily injury.

Comment

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I LOVE the ingenuity!

Michael

The video of how I made the compass spring.
                  video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

• Aduragbemi
                    Aduragbemi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I practise medicine for a living, as an anaesthetist (mid-level one) at a general hospital in the suburb of the city, where I live with my family.
                    Last edited by Aduragbemi; 05-22-2022, 12:32 AM.

• gtc
                    gtc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. From what I have seen in this thread, I was thinking that you were maybe an engineer.

• Aduragbemi
                    Aduragbemi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I could have been a fine engineer (smiles), because being handy and improvising comes to me naturally

Thick felt is often used to cushion the movement of the pedal keys at the toe end. I don't have felt now. Well, I improvised with an EPE (expanded polyethylene) foam, used in packaging an electronic equipment.

I cut some strips and glued them to the upper and lower parts of the pedal keys slots. I tested the function by fixing the centre E pedal, with the compass spring in place.

Name:	20220521_223804.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	800275Click image for larger version

Name:	20220521_223914.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	800276Click image for larger version

Name:	20220521_224104.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	800274 Before fixing the rest of the pedals, I will wrap some piece of tough upholstery cloth around the front end. Then the pedal will be ready for the final stage; midi-fication with tree switches and magnets.

Comment

Thick felt is often used to cushion the movement of the pedal keys at the toe end. I don't have felt now. Well, I improvised with an EPE (expanded polyethylene) foam, used in packaging an electronic equipment.
                    Aduragbemi,

Just a bit of caution here. I've been led to believe poly can become sticky, especially when exposed to moisture. You'll know that when you go to play a pedal, and there is resistance from the stationery position when pressed. I also believe wool felt if/when you can obtain it would make a better option. I understand the impatience, though.

What a project! At least you're in the right profession should you get injured in the organ-building process!

Michael
                    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Working...
                    X